New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Thursday Next Week
Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 05, 2003 05:10PM

<HTML>As I hinted, Minsky and I are about to take on the case of the elusive Thursday Next Week, but first of all I'd like to draw a little breath after an extremely tiring weekend. I've been down south for the second birthday party of my cute little niece, which has meant a great deal of being driven about, something I'm not very good at. Staying in a Greek hotel where several plates (and a number of the guests) were smashed at a late hour didn't help much either. Great birthday party though, and young Rachael did plenty of what she does best - being irresistibly adorable for the benefit of all her admiring relatives... Also managed to fit in a date with my Welsh friend Paul from the Internet. We sat and had a latte in Sainsbury's coffee shop in Leamington Spa. Not exactly the height of romance, but very practical on a freezing cold morning in a town that neither of us knew well.

Anyway, while I am busy catching up on my sleep, does anyone have any clues regarding the mysterious Week that they feel ought to be spun into the narrative? I can't actually promise anything because it's surprisingly hard work writing a serial in real time (though I do enjoy it), and there are inevitably things I want to put in that won't fit, while other things spring up unbidden and bounce cheerfully into the story, setting off a whole load of new ideas. But if anyone's got any leads they feel I ought to follow, do chuck them in my direction and I'll do my best.

Minsky sends everyone a big purr, by the way. Except certain people who made some unspeakable suggestions (his phrase) regarding cats in another thread...</HTML>

Re: Thursday Next Week
Posted by: Sarah B (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 05, 2003 07:28PM

<HTML>It's gotta be better than writing a sequel in un-real time. After all, where would you start?

Purr to Minksy also.

Umm.... nothing specific. If you searched Google I'm sure you'd find lots of references...</HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: January 06, 2003 04:27AM

<HTML>Just wanted to let you know, I've been vastly enjoying your and Minsky's adventures, as has the friend who first lent me TEA (who I sent a copy of your serial to, since he doesn't get on the internet often enough to hang out here).</HTML>

Date: January 06, 2003 02:11PM

<HTML>Many thanks (also on behalf of Minsky, who's out patrolling his territory at the moment). Incidentally, it seems that there just <i>might</i> be another set of LOTR-related adventures on the cards; I deliberately left a few loose ends to encourage David to do some writing, and he may be taking me up on the challenge, so watch out for him. I'm not starting another adventure of my own until I can trust myself to stay awake long enough to type an instalment... zzz... If anyone ever invents the teleport, I want one of the very first reliable models on health grounds...

Still awaiting the dodo (which I genuinely <i>have</i> ordered). It may be that the new story will start when it arrives!</HTML>

Date: January 08, 2003 03:57PM

<HTML>After some considerable Googling, I suspect I may be on to something:

[www.nationaudio.com]

This would mean that Thursday Next Week was, in fact, 22-28 September 2002. Any comments?</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: January 08, 2003 04:11PM

<HTML>It might also mean that a bunch of Kenyans were trying to blag their way into the Reebok Stadium without paying. "We're playing Wanderers, honest, ...."

The danger of trying this down at Plainmoor is that they might believe you, and offer you a contract. ("OK, we'll throw in some free tickets to see Bernie Clifton at the Empire, now will you sign?")</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 08, 2003 07:06PM

<HTML>I have contrasting evidence, Sarah! According to this source;

<a href="http://pps9900.cryst.bbk.ac.uk/discuss/msg00045.html">Eek, it's tomato sauce! </a>

It was actually the 7th to the 10th of February.

The plot thickens...</HTML>

Date: January 09, 2003 12:05PM

<HTML>*is now really confused and has to go and take an extra dried ffrog pill*</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: January 09, 2003 02:06PM

<HTML>And what of;

"This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays." - Arthur Dent, H2G2.

not to mention "The Man Who Was Thursday" by G K Chesterton. Now that really is confusing.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.