New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Poor old Pickwick
Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 07, 2003 09:34PM

<HTML>Anyone who has the Flash plug-in can see what Pickwick got for Christmas ... see Jasper's Welcome page.</HTML>

Re: Poor old Pickwick
Posted by: Sarah B (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 07, 2003 09:48PM

<HTML>Yeah... but he seemed pretty unhurt. He was still plocking away merrily afterwards...</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2003 11:07PM

<HTML>I wonder how toasted dodo tastes...(maybe we should ask the sailors who ate them)</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 08, 2003 12:30PM

<HTML>Having spent a large portion of yesterday back in 19th-century Mauritius trying desperately to persuade said sailors to leave a few of the poor birds for posterity, I can inform you that according to the sailors it tastes better than plocking naval rations. What that means on an absolute scale is anyone's guess. However, since they also thought I looked pretty tasty myself (and, again, since they had been deprived of female company for several months, what that means on an absolute scale is anyone's guess), I had to spend so much time defending my virtue at eigenvector-point that sadly I completely failed to save the dodo.

And the one I have on order from Pete and Dave's still hasn't arrived... :-(</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: January 08, 2003 12:47PM

<HTML>19th century Mauritius! No wonder you didn't find out, then .... you were about 200 years too late .... (the generally accepted date for dodo demise is c.1681).</HTML>

Date: January 08, 2003 12:58PM

<HTML>Eeek, a typo... I'm still tired...</HTML>

Date: January 08, 2003 02:32PM

<HTML>Typos are a nuisance. I once mistyped 'Tony Blair' as 'hypocritical sanctimonious little Tory gobshite' and you wouldn't believe the fuss some people made.</HTML>

Date: January 08, 2003 03:43PM

<HTML>lol... Reminds me of a skit I once scribbled:

I do not love thee, Mr Blair;
I'm sure you neither know nor care.
But of this fact I'm well aware -
I do not love thee, Mr Blair.

And I really <i>am</i> exhausted, having done some further damage to an old cycling injury in my upper right arm and consequently having been virtually unable to sleep last night for the pain. Depending on which time stream you're in, this unfortunate circumstance was caused either by fending off randy sailors at eigenvector point or, more prosaically, by hacking away at the ice with an old table knife when taking advantage of yesterday's cold snap to defrost the freezer. So I may not be typing anything lengthy until I am in a position to take this ice pack off my arm. Heigho...

On the bright side, it looks very much as though you will shortly be regaled with <i>The Silmarillion</i> as you have never seen it before, courtesy of David. I'm not allowed to say a great deal except that there will be a large quantity of silk knickers in it, so Ben might want to increase his dried ffrog pill dosage in advance just so he'll be prepared for it. ;-)

Minsky is asleep at the moment, but earlier requested me to pass on a purr.</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 08, 2003 07:01PM

<HTML>"dodo tasted better than plocking naval rations"? Surely if the sailors had tried *eating* the rations instead of plocking them, they'd not have had to go after the Dodos????? *sigh* the depravity of the 19th century sailor is truly terrible, isn't it ;-)</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 08, 2003 08:55PM

<HTML>"the depravity of the 19th century sailor is truly terrible, isn't it"

Are we still taking about silk knickers here?</HTML>

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: January 09, 2003 11:26AM

<HTML>"taking about silk knickers"

Now that is depraved !</HTML>

Date: January 09, 2003 12:13PM

<HTML>Given that Sainsbury's call their website "sainsburystoyou", I did suggest that David should call his own website "knickerstoyou", but for some reason he wasn't totally entranced with the idea...

His saga should begin shortly, but unlike me, he's very carefully plotted it all out first, and he's not planning to start till he's quite sure there is no possible trace of a bloophole. I said I thought it was more of an interesting challenge to write on the fly, and he replied that this was fair enough, but he couldn't get the little blighter to keep still long enough to be able to write on it.

The arm is a lot better today, although I'm still shattered from lack of sleep the night before last. Still no dodo, but I have decided not to wait for it. Watch this space!</HTML>

Posted by: wombat (---.wc.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 19, 2003 12:36PM

<HTML>There is a rather nice, and vaguely appropriate looking Dodo here:
[cuttergallery.com]

by James Marsh. If there are any children of the 80's reading they will remember his 'Talk Talk' album covers.

Now I've dated myself I'll Plock-off.

Wombat</HTML>

Date: January 19, 2003 04:39PM

<HTML>Plock on again any time. :-)</HTML>

Date: January 20, 2003 09:25PM

<HTML>Yeah- we should all plock around the clock, if we so wish!</HTML>

Date: January 21, 2003 12:45PM

<HTML>Does that mean Wilfred would plick around the click?</HTML>

Date: January 22, 2003 01:45PM

<HTML>Wouldn't that be bad for his liver?</HTML>

Date: January 22, 2003 01:49PM

<HTML>That dodo Wombat found looks as though he has got something wrong with his liver ....</HTML>

Posted by: Gill Neal (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 24, 2003 05:16PM

<HTML>I thought it was the rats from the ships that killed off the poor dodo's</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 24, 2003 07:18PM

<HTML>Pigs and monkeys, actually.... Read 'Song of the Dodo' by David Quammen for an overview. That book is still one of the biggest influences on my life - it fuelled my interest in biogeography and from there it was a little step to my passion for landscape ecology.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.