New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Ben's entertaining
Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: January 14, 2003 12:17PM

<HTML>Leeds on TV? how exciting. What was it doing?</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: January 14, 2003 12:30PM

<HTML>Pretending to be nice, obviously.</HTML>

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: January 14, 2003 12:36PM

<HTML><b>Being</b> nice. I think you'll find !</HTML>

Date: January 14, 2003 12:38PM

<HTML><b>Looking</b> nice, according to Bea's mail. I was just wondering which bit was looking nice, as the view of it from my office window doesn't look nice at all.</HTML>

Date: January 14, 2003 01:07PM

<HTML>Looks fine from here. Across town, Kirkstall and the Aire valley to Farsley
on the other side. I can see Armley jail and the M62 but the leaves on the
trees will hide them soon.

Certainly staring out the window beats working...</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (62.6.103.---)
Date: January 14, 2003 01:16PM

<HTML>Noodles, hmm? When I have some moeny, istead of an overdraft, I will. The government says it will give me £56 a week, now, because I am over 25 (how nice). There's some benefits in getting older, after all.........
Alas, for some vague reason, the house I am currently living in has no TV. DVDs in plenty, no TV....... But it's nice to know Leed waskeeping it's profile up.
Scare the ***** out of me? I'm sorry, I've already had all the little stars one usually possesses scared out of me by jumping out of a plane at 10,000 feet. Ok, so I had a man wearing a parachute strapped to my back, it's still scary as.</HTML>

Date: January 14, 2003 01:20PM

<HTML>I reckon having a bloke strapped to my back would be scary enough. Though I understand people will pay good money for it in some quarters. ;-)

DVDs but no TV? how about a DVD player? You could while away the hours reading the blurb on the boxes, or re-enacting favourite scenes. a la:

'My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die' [said in a slightly dodgy spanish accent, with much pretend sword fighting]

or, slightly more recently:

'We track a band of Uruk-Hai westward across the plain' [with pretend long-hair flick]. Eddie finds this highly entertaining. Kate doesn't. Cause enough to repeat ad infinitum or until someone (me) gets hurt.</HTML>

Date: January 14, 2003 01:27PM

<HTML>Says a lot about Leeds when Armley nick is mentioned as a highlight. From my office window I can see ... um ... Oldham .... I'll shut up now.

And since I get the stars scared out of me going up into the attic, eleven out of ten for bravery there, Octavia. (So long as it was a voluntary act, of course, and the man with the parachute didn't drag you into the plane against your will. That would be scary. But not as scary as being kidnapped into a jump by a man without a parachute).</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: January 14, 2003 01:31PM

<HTML>Jumping out NOT strapped to the bloke would be even scarier, I would guess...</HTML>

Date: January 14, 2003 01:33PM

<HTML>unless you have a copy of 'The Action Hero's Handbook', which tells you how to jump out of a plane without a parachute (make sure someone <i>with</i> a parachute jumps first seems to be key here)</HTML>

Date: January 14, 2003 01:35PM

<HTML>and then what do you do.... defy the laws of physics?</HTML>

Date: January 14, 2003 01:36PM

<HTML>so long as you jump pretty soon after the guy with the parachute, you can catch him, beat him up then hold on <b>really</b> tight and pull the ripcord.

Much like in Moonraker, in fact.</HTML>

Date: January 14, 2003 01:42PM

<HTML>So lessee.... you're both falling at a rate of 42 metres per second per second ... and the guy with the chute went first ... and you catch him up how, exactly?

I think it's terrible to show things like that to children. They'll all be trying it.</HTML>

Date: January 14, 2003 01:55PM

<HTML>Better than packing your anchor or piano (and frequently both) by accident, rather than your 'chute.

Has anyone established a causal link between accident rates and sightings of Wile E Coyote on terrestrial TV?</HTML>

Date: January 14, 2003 01:56PM

<HTML>Go into a stoop dive like a peregrine falcon after a pigeon.
It's easy...

If Roger Moore can do it...</HTML>

Date: January 14, 2003 02:06PM

<HTML>..it probably involves eyebrow manipulation....</HTML>

Date: January 14, 2003 02:10PM

<HTML>Yeah all right, stoop dive. How do you steer? And what's to stop the baddie yanking his ripcord as you come by, leaving you hurtling past while he hangs from his chute going nyah nyah nyah?

Or of course you could just film the whole thing against a ropey back-projection. And I bet Roger Moore had to have a stunt man for that.

The thing I always loved about Wile E Coyote was that after the failure of the latest Acme device, he would plunge horribly into the Grand Canyon, fall for about two minutes, and then land with a tiny <i>crump noise</i>. Brilliant. Meep-meep.</HTML>

Date: January 14, 2003 02:17PM

<HTML>Flicking through ?Amazon, as I'm wont to do, I found this:
[www.amazon.com]

about half way down, it states that "customers who wear clothes also shop for..." and lists 'clean underwear', 'lady bug boots' and 'pet socks'. I have a problem imagining virtually all of this page:

1: Abridged? You might as well listen to it on fast forward, ignorant people...
2: 'People who wear clothes'. What are Amazon not telling us about the shopping habits of naturists. How can they be so precise? Am i being watched?
3: Do Amazon also stock dirty underwear? Or is this limited to Japanese street vending machines and the back of dirty magazines (erm, or so I've been told)
4: 'Pet Socks' - whilst my socks can virtually walk unaided after a good day's tramping about, I have not yet considered them a pet. Or are they socks for dogs? Neither makes much sense.
5: 'Lady Bug Boots' - since when have they needed them? It's not like Alexander Beetle was missing because he didn't have any footwear and wanted to find some...
6: It is possible to 'Add this item to Wedding Regsitery'. What? You can marry a copy of TEA on cassette? Holy mother of mastodons...

The USA is weird. I rest my case.</HTML>

Date: January 14, 2003 02:19PM

<HTML>"how do you steer"? I've already said - eyebrow manipulation....</HTML>

Customers who wear clothes...
Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 14, 2003 02:41PM

<HTML>Ben - I'm going to be laughing about that one for the rest of the week!</HTML>

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.