New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Why the Two Towers film is not perfect?
Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 14, 2003 11:28PM

<HTML>erm, guilty as charged yer 'onner. Well, I'm just easily pleased I guess. :-p</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 14, 2003 11:56PM

<HTML>I just recognised the symptoms. See Sarah about those tablets of hers....</HTML>

Posted by: Dave Rainbow (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 15, 2003 02:42PM

<HTML>It isn't just scissors they havn't got in Middle Earth, for which see todays' update of 'The Nextarillion' (!!).

Chuffed to be asked to wite the script for 'The Return of the King' with Sarah, however by the time I'm through with 'TN' I think I may not be able to repeat the dose.

The worst problem with 'The Two Towers' is that it's the wrong pair of towers! Because Jackson has pushed Shelob and Minas Morgul into film 3 to provide enough filmable action for Frodo and Sam, Minas Morgul never gets into the film at all, and the Barad Dur does duty instead - without really getting a look in.

Yes, Sarah, I DID say they spoilt Haldir's frock and I DO call them 'The S&M Pansies'. You've stolen my thunder, but since you got me into this in the first place I'll live with that.

Just as everything that is unexplained in 'The Lord of the Rings' is explicable in terms of 'The Silmarillion', I hope that everything that is wrong with the Jackson version will become apparent in 'The Nextarillion'; I have a forward plot, but the story seems to have a life of its own.</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: January 15, 2003 03:46PM

<HTML>Ha. Stories tend do that life of their own thing if not watched. They breed in the sewers you know.</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 15, 2003 10:43PM

<HTML>My main problem with TTT was that- oddly enough- it cut off too soon for both story threads. The book ends with the confrontation with Shelob the Great spider for Sa & Frodo, and for the rest of the gang it ends with them all- more or less- reunited under the walls of Saruman's tower, after the great showdown between Gandalf and S, and pippin buggering about with the palantir (so to speak) I liked that scene.
Also, never mind the elvish infiltrators into the story, where the hell are the trees? As I recall, the orcish army are quite discombolulated by the wild trees, the Huorns which cluster up around Helm's Deep for a while.
Furthermore, why is the new girlie in the story, Eowyn, or however you spell her name, such a long streak of piss? She's supposed to be tragically in love with Aragorn, and suicidal to boot, not just in the grip of a teenage crush!
I mean this is the woman who almost singlehandedly (that's apart from Merry) kills the leader of the Nazgul, who is the Witch King of Angmar!! (yes someone gave me a Tolkien dictonary for christmas) She's feeble!! She has no grit to her!!!! we're supposed to believe THIS is gong to kill a Nazgul?? Feh, I say!! Feh!!!
Okay, I'm a little over excited now. I shall sit me down and read a calming book.
Now if our Thursday was an actress...........</HTML>

Date: January 15, 2003 11:33PM

<HTML>I get the impression that they relaxed a bit for this edition, and LOTR3 will be better as they realise they upset people with LOTR2. I reckon the DVD version will be better, or at least they'l explain the reasoning...</HTML>

Date: January 15, 2003 11:52PM

<HTML>btw, does anybody else expect the Nazgul to go 'Si, Baroni'.....</HTML>

Posted by: Dave Rainbow (62.60.4.---)
Date: January 16, 2003 12:22PM

<HTML>There is too much wrapping up loose threads in 'The Return of the King' and not enough plot; so to separate the whole work into three films, Jackson has cut the thing up quite sensibly really. The trouble is there is then no worthwhile finale for Frodo and Sam in 'The Two Towers' unless you put in the dud Faramir and the Nazgul stuff. All Jackson has done there is to carry on the conflict in Faramir's mind during a trip south, which I can just about stand; and then have to put an invented ending to it, which is harder to stomach. A lot of the alterations in TTT follow the same sort of pattern.

Most of the alterations in FOTR actually improved the film from the book --- especially if you get the extended version, which is a lot better, especially in Lorien --- but I don't think any of the alterations to the plot in TTT do a thing for it. Jackson is trying to include a lot of background from 'The Silmarillion' etc. in passing references, but I hate what he's doing to Aragorn and Arwen. I'm reserving judgement till ROTK comes out, but hey, it's still a great film if only you havn't read the book.</HTML>

Posted by: Gill Neal (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 24, 2003 05:14PM

<HTML>Well I liked it, but then I'm a girl and there was rather a lot of the lovely Aragorn *SIGH*
Nobody's mentioned the Ents they were great, the acting was a bit wooden though.</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 24, 2003 08:03PM

<HTML>Do you mind .... the old jokes thread is farther up the fforum .... altho' speaking of wooden acting did you hear that they are making a live action fillum of Thunderbirds? They'll ruin it I tell you. How could they possibly improve on Barry Gray's music and Reg Hill's models? Alright the performances might be a bit better than the original - unless they give de Caprio a part, anyway. Joanna Lumley as Lady Penelope, yes?</HTML>

Date: January 24, 2003 08:27PM

<HTML>Da dada daah dada dada da da da daah</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 24, 2003 08:40PM

<HTML>Greatest sig tune ever (nostalgia attack).

- Ben - Beeb 2 - 2100!</HTML>

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.