New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Polish
Posted by: Tim Jeffries (---.oundle.co.uk)
Date: January 15, 2003 10:51AM

<HTML>in they eyre affair, mycroft shows thursday around his workshop, and one of the things he show her in the translating device. my question: does anybody know how to pronounce the polish version of have you seen my dodo?, or is it exactly as it is spelt? many thanks</HTML>

Re: Polish
Posted by: Adam (212.137.30.---)
Date: January 15, 2003 11:31AM

<HTML>Maybe I'll ask Dawn.</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: January 15, 2003 11:39AM

<HTML>I don't know anything about polish. And very little about washing-up liquid or floor cleaner, either.</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 15, 2003 10:30PM

<HTML>Maybe you should polish up your knowledge of cleaning/languages, then? ;-) (sorry, that's a *really* bad pun but I love' em)</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 15, 2003 10:37PM

<HTML>lol... it only gets worse, huh?</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 15, 2003 10:39PM

<HTML>every time you think it can get no worse...</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 15, 2003 11:27PM

<HTML>just as I convince my family that I'm normal, something like this causes me to throw the whole house upside down in search of TEA....

Chje jest mo-ye dodo?

is the best I can render it...Think French 'Je' but more lips involved, and a kind of 'T' at the start,. and then more or less as spelt. Obviously I'm not an expert - my Polish is only good enough to get arrested....</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: January 16, 2003 02:26PM

<HTML>For those interested, the phrase required is said as:

Pee-voh, pro-shay.

Repeat until blindingly drunk.</HTML>

Date: January 16, 2003 02:59PM

<HTML>Chodzmy w krzaki i kochajmy sie jak kruliki

Is also very useful (Google it....)</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 16, 2003 03:04PM

<HTML>But is it printable when translated?</HTML>

Date: January 16, 2003 03:06PM

<HTML>Erm, yeah. Depend how you translate it, but basically it's more acceptable than the Canterbury Tales - my other book of the moment...</HTML>

Date: January 16, 2003 03:08PM

<HTML>Well, with all respect to the late Mr Chaucer, that wouldn't take a great deal, now would it?</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: January 16, 2003 03:12PM

<HTML>As a useful phrase for getting about a foreign country, that one is right up there with 'my hovercraft is full of eels'. Mind you, rotten translation once led Jimmy Carter to saying that he desired the Poles carnally. He didn't mention rabbits, though.</HTML>

Date: January 16, 2003 03:23PM

<HTML>lol My favourite bit of real-life rotten translation came from one of those weird pieces of so-called translation software, owned by my dad. He rang me up requiring urgent linguistic help because he was trying to buy something from an Italian site, and this wonderful program had translated <i>carrello della spesa</i> (shopping trolley) as "undercarriage of the expense". Surreal.

And if there are any more Italian speakers on this fforum, I have a glorious article on the same subject by Umberto Eco which is fall-off-chair-and-roll-around-on-the-floor hilarious. Unfortunately, being on the subject of translation, it's impossible to translate for everyone else. *sigh*</HTML>

Date: January 17, 2003 09:56PM

<HTML>Nope, don't speak Italian I'm afriad. A little French I can cope with, and a couple of bits of German, but that's about it. Oh, and Ojla and Se bereva (hi and bye) in um, some other language that I've forgotten. And 'pen' is pen in Japenese.

I was singing a song today in choir today called 'Meine Kleine Grunen Kaktus (yes, that's my small green cactus for those un-deustch speakers.)

It was along the lines of;
Mein kliene grunen kaktus,
Ist sitzen am balkon

Or something. Something about the lovely little green cactus. Quite surreal at any rate, and very deustch.

Plocken.</HTML>

Date: January 17, 2003 11:39PM

<HTML>There was a Jake Thackeray song about a cactus, but I doubt anybody else would have heard it...</HTML>

Date: January 19, 2003 05:20PM

<HTML>Um, not unless it was a german Jake Thackeray song about a cactus, no.</HTML>

Date: January 19, 2003 07:00PM

<HTML><a href="http://www.soc.surrey.ac.uk/~scs1ec/cactus.html">[www.soc.surrey.ac.uk]; for the lyrics. It isn't beyond all doubt that it was nicked from a German original - Thackray did another song (Brother Gorilla) that was originally in French. Look it up, if you want a good laugh....</HTML>

Date: January 19, 2003 08:24PM

<HTML>That's hilarious - I adore the rhymes, lol...</HTML>

Date: January 24, 2003 09:21PM

<HTML>Ah lol. Very funny!

I shall see if I can find the little green cactus words... I'm not sure what the chance of me finding an english translation is though. I'll shove them in the translator if the worst comes to it, though that's not really the most relaible way of finding a translation!</HTML>

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.