New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: WOLP
Posted by: Ooktavia (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 23, 2003 06:51PM

<HTML>I know it sounds like being grown up. I'm only 26 I don't think it's time I should have to do THAT!
I used to live in London before the Great Oz Adventure, but that was when my sister had a 6-bedroom victorian town house on her hands. In Zone 2. (she's a vicar= crap pay, free housing) Now she's a chaplain,so a 1-bed flat is all she has. Damn.
Jon- I hope your op goes well. You can have WOLP as convalescant entertaiment...</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 23, 2003 08:24PM

<HTML>Octavia ; Thank you for the kind thort, but WOLP is not soon enough for entertainment. I shall need it, too, because after the op I have to spend two weeks at home, not going out, not even going downstairs (cos of the dogs) to guard against infection. If I can hear afterward (which is kinda the point of the exercise) the neighbours will discover what loud music sounds like. I have had 18 months music deprivation and I may play all my CDs in turn. Alphabetically.

In case that isn't enough I have taken out an advance on birthday presents and will mount a book raid on Waterstones on Saturday. All I have to do then is hold off reading them all until Thursday*, which is when they going to (consults leaflet about op) .... ugh .... they do what? .... oh that is gross ... oh my God ... scuse me while I barf ....

* yes, my op is on Thursday next. Truly.</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2003 08:33PM

<HTML>Jon, are you getting a cochlear implant? An accquaintance of mine had that done and had great success! Although, it takes a while for the brain to figure out what the signals are. (He hadn't been able to hear since he was about 7 years old and then had some sort of virus that destroyed his hearing. He was over 40 when he had the op)</HTML>

Date: January 23, 2003 09:21PM

<HTML>I wish. There ain't nothing wrong with my cochlea or that .... it's just all the gunk that has accumulated in my system has blocked my eostachian tube, so I am having a wash and scrape (it's a two for one deal) and removal of obstacles and ... ulp .... wheresa bathroom ....</HTML>

Date: January 23, 2003 09:47PM

<HTML>oooh fun! Actually, your procedure is MUCH easier than the cochlear implant! And from what I understand, you won't feel much except for more "open". Does your op involve rupturing the ear drum itself? That's probably why the 2 week quarantine!

By the way, I've ruptured my ear drum 3 times before and it's NOT fun, but if they're doing it surgically, and getting everything cleaned out of there, you probably won't have much pain at all...Mine were due to terrible ear and sinus infections. ICK (of course flying with either of those is not good and by doctor's orders, I must fly with an anti-histamine and decongestant. Fun, eh!? LOL)</HTML>

Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 23, 2003 10:29PM

<HTML>Yup, I can vouch for the fact that burst ear drums ain't fun. Although the preasure leading up to that is the worst bit, afterwards it's kind of a relife. Like aac says, if they're doing it in a hospital it should be ok, and you'll be able to ask for lot's of fun drugs ;) Nurse, pass that morphine.</HTML>

Date: January 23, 2003 11:06PM

<HTML>AFAIK they're going nowhere near the eardrum, but chiselling bits out of my sinuses (ick), which makes me wonder about the effectiveness of the procedure ... ask me after the op; if my answer is What? then it didn't work.</HTML>

Date: January 24, 2003 02:42AM

<HTML>Oh, that kind of scrape and flush! Ah, my girlfriend had that done about 10 years ago and it seemed to work quite well. She didn't have the ear problem though, although she did suffer from ear infections. It was mostly because she had really bad problems with sinus infections and pressure. The only thing is that it changed her voice a bit for a while. And she had to use nasal spray for quite a while.</HTML>

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: January 24, 2003 09:24AM

<HTML>i pierced my eardrum when i was little with a lollipop stick!</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: January 24, 2003 10:47AM

<HTML>i've got a weird extra bit of bone in my ear that used to collect liquid behind it, leading to infections. To stop kme going death they bunged a t-tube in to keep it draining until my ear had grown enough for it not to be a problem. I can't remember it hurting.

I also found out about this eye thing off an old lady who'd had it done for cataracts. They leave the stiches in your eye for a year... Hmmm.</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: January 24, 2003 10:51AM

<HTML>right you lot. It's bad enough at home with kate watching programmes like Animal Babies Hospital with Vets in Casualty without you lot talking about various medical things.

Can we (or rather you) start a new thread called something like

'Discussion of various icky medical problems that Dave doesn't need to know about'

:-)</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: January 24, 2003 10:58AM

<HTML>It's informative. And maybe we are making it sound like an old folk's home (my hips are giving me ever so much gyp, Agnes...), but treat it as part of your education. And count your lucky stars there's no weirdly bearded antipodean with a wobble board round here.</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 24, 2003 12:16PM

<HTML>I must admit, I'm with Dave on all this. Not that I'm lacking sympathy - I really hope the operation goes well, Jon - but it's not necessarily what one wants to read after having eaten, even if it <i>was</i> only an Ainsley Marriott Belgian Chocolate biscuit (recommended to all you chocoholics out there, by the way... mmm...)

Alternatively, if we must discuss medical problems in this thread, I've got a dodgy knee joint which is giving me some real jip this morning. I could always tell you how it got that way. Now there's a threat... ;-)</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: January 24, 2003 01:54PM

<HTML>(Note - there are no descriptions of icky medical stuff in this post).

I was just fishing for synpathy really. I don't get a lot of it at home, which is my fault for marrying a nurse.

ME: Oh God I don't feel well.
HER: What's the matter?
ME: (lists symptoms of surely terminal condition)
HER: Rubbish. Your temperature's normal Get up and go to work, there's nothing wrong with you.

Mind you some people pay a fortune for expert medical advice like that.</HTML>

Posted by: Adam (212.137.30.---)
Date: January 24, 2003 01:59PM

<HTML>Good luck with the op our kid. I'm off to Scotland (St. Andrews) for a wedding this weekend and then off to Switzerland to break some bones on Monday.</HTML>

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: January 24, 2003 02:37PM

<HTML>Have fun. I have to say I'm jealous. The gang I normally go skiing with are
also off next week. Alas term has started and I'm teaching so can't go !
Bugger !</HTML>

Date: January 24, 2003 04:21PM

<HTML>ah, but you get to beat me at badminton tonight, so it's not all bad.</HTML>

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: January 24, 2003 04:27PM

<HTML>I'd still rather be skiing. Sorry mate.</HTML>

Date: January 24, 2003 04:28PM

<HTML>no, that's fair. I'll give you that one. I'd rather be skiing too.</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 25, 2003 12:16AM

<HTML>Hang on, PSD- you had an op as a kid to stop you from going DEATH????? Typo, yes? Not "an op to stop me from turning into a tall guy, wears black, carries a scythe, TALKS LIKE THIS", but "an operation to aid my hearing", right? Right???</HTML>

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.