New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: What to read next?
Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: January 17, 2003 12:50PM

<HTML>:p</HTML>

Posted by: Dave Rainbow (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 17, 2003 12:54PM

<HTML>'Fish' sounds a lot better than Derek William Dick</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: January 17, 2003 03:03PM

<HTML>It does indeed. People often assume that the piscine moniker has some deep mythological significance, but in fact it stems from his habit of taking extremely long baths, causing his roomate to cry "what are you, some sort of feckin fish?"

The band suffered a lot because of their name; given its origins they were often written off as beardy-weirdies and assumed to do fey numbers about elves and such, but in fact the founders of the band - who chose the name and were a bit like that - were all ruthlessly purged and replaced by people who could actually play. The only vaguely mythologically-inclined number they did was an early one called 'Grendel', and even that derived from the John Gardner novel and not the Anglo-Saxon poem.

Anyway; something too much of this. I like em, you lot dont, who cares, end of story, lets get back to talking about Thursday.</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: January 17, 2003 04:58PM

<HTML>and back to the subject of what to read next, you may (or may not) be interested to know that I succumbed to the Tolkien Companion, so can bore onlookers with minutiae about LOTR. And keep track of who did what to who when.

Did I miss something, or was the re-forging of the sword that was broken not in FOTR? And in the Photo Companion to TTT, there's a shot of Smeagol and Deagol out fishing, which I'm sure wasn't in the film (extended DVD anyone?)</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 17, 2003 10:04PM

<HTML>Completely lost. Last time I checked I was here, but now I'm not so sure. Where's a map (or alternatively, Granny Weatherwax) when you need one? (or her)

So, as to books, Terry Pratchett type books are good, but the early ones more so than the late ones. And has anybody here read any Elizabeth Peters? I'm amusing myself with the Amelia Peabody series at present - sort of turn of the century Egyptian Murder Mysterys. Quite entertaining.

Just realised that there are far too many Captial Letters in that last paraGraph. Must bE a vYrus sneakIng intO my ComputeR...

Ah hECk....

pLoCk.</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 17, 2003 10:17PM

<HTML>oooh I like Terry. I like every other book more though, consistency isn't his strong point. Mort was good, Pyramids is still my favourite (' I got 90% in throwing knives, which eyeball don't you need?')

I quite like the Peter Wimsey books but can't offhand remember who writes them.. Dorothy L Sayers?</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 17, 2003 10:19PM

<HTML>I always know where I am- it's just the location of everywhere else that I don't.
May I also reccomend "The Dark is Rising" series by Susan Cooper?
They're a little patchy in quality, but the second one, "The Dark is Rising" is absolutely completely spell binding, and you do not have to read the first one "Under Sea, Over Stone" first- it deals with almost completely different characters. After the Dark is Rising and USOS, you do need to read them in order, becuase all the characters from both books get involved in the next one "Greenwitch," Then there's "The Grey King" is a bit continuity heavy to start the series on, but bloody brilliant, and the final book, Silver on the Tree is also amazing- and yes, the series IS aimed at kids, but is worth a look.</HTML>

Susan Cooper
Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 18, 2003 02:08PM

<HTML>I found a whole stash of the Susan Cooper books in my house a few years ago. Turns out my mum had decided it was the kind of book I would like and had some how got hold of the whole lot second hand and then promptly forgotten all about them. This meant I could charge through the entire (6?) lot in one go without any of that pesky 'Waiting For the Author To Write the Next One' malarky. If you like that sort of stuff try 'Prospero's Children' by Jan Siegel. A bit more grown up and...damnit, I've lost my copy, bugger where the hell has that got to....</HTML>

Re: Susan Cooper
Date: January 18, 2003 07:03PM

<HTML>I loved Prospero's children- I found the second one, the dragon charmer, I think, not quite as good.
And yes, Dorothy L sayers wrote Lord Pert Wimsey, isn't he marvelous? I can never decide where I like "Murder Must Advertise" or "The Nine Tailors" or "Gaudy Night" more...........
But the last one "Thrones, Dominions", I think it's called was finished by someone after her death "from her notes" type thing, and it's like supermarket cola when you're expecting Pepsi, similar but not as good.</HTML>

Re: Lord Peter Wimsey
Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 18, 2003 07:26PM

<HTML>My parents have just got "Murder Must Advertise" on DVD. It's got Paul Darrow in it, which is reason enough for watching it... the man can act... Unfortunately he looks rather too dark and sinister to be cast as Lord Peter himself, which is a shame, as he has a beautiful well-educated English accent with flawless diction. I could listen to that man reading the telephone directory.

No, I'm not in love. I know his wife. ;-)</HTML>

Re: What to Read Next
Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 19, 2003 12:15AM

<HTML>Can I add my two-pennorth of praise for The Dark is Rising sequence? I liked the Grey King best because it was set in places I knew; I can never take the journey down the coast by Towyn without looking up the valley and thinking of the Brenin Llwyd. The landscape in question can be seen at [usitweb.shef.ac.uk] but if you intend to read the books, be warned - here be spoilers.

If you are of a literary turn of mind I have just finished reading A S Byatt's Possession, and can thoroughly recommend it. It won the 1990 Booker Prize but despite that has a proper plot, some very real characters and no 'magic' interruptions whatever.</HTML>

Date: January 19, 2003 05:31PM

<HTML>I managed to readthe entire Dark is Rising series without actually having erad Over Sea Under Stone. Some silly part of me assumed that because the series was called 'The Dark is Rising' then that would be the first book...

Anyway, it's not nesercarry (ack) to have read it to enjoy the series. I amanged perfectly well without it - you get a good enough introduction to Simon, Barney and the girl (whos name I've forgotten) in Greenwitch.

Another brilliant Susan Cooper was King of Shadows. It's all about Shakespeare and it's very well written. It's aimed at kids again, but it's a very good read, and it made me cry a couple of times. And it is easier to appreciate if you know who Shakespeare is, so I think I enjoyed it more than some of my friends.

("Shake Spear? Isn't he the guy that invented the UN anti-aggression policy?")</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 19, 2003 06:48PM

<HTML>There's a UN anti-agression treaty? Has Dubya been told?</HTML>

Date: January 19, 2003 09:03PM

<HTML>There's a UN? Has Dubya been told?</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 19, 2003 09:08PM

<HTML>Well, he always wants these resolutions there. Although I don't know why he bothers - surely he's realised that nobody keeps resolutions at this time of year....</HTML>

Date: January 19, 2003 09:18PM

<HTML>> surely he's realised that nobody keeps resolutions at this time of year....

Indeed not.

Hic.</HTML>

Date: January 19, 2003 09:35PM

<HTML>Wilfred says you're his friend for life.

Plick.

(Sorry about that, he's still got a bit of a dodo complex.)</HTML>

Date: January 20, 2003 09:20PM

<HTML>Paul Darrow? One of Blake's Seven, wasn't he? (If not Blake himself, I can't remeber who he played) *Playing Lord Peter Wimsey??*
I boggle, you know. Absolutely boggle. Complete bogglement up here is Staffordshire........</HTML>

Date: January 21, 2003 12:51PM

<HTML>Yes, he was Avon. The tall dark sociopathic one with the rotten haircut and the brilliant lines. He is now 61 and would have great difficulty getting into all his old Avon costumes... but he can still do "the look". Amazing.

Actually he plays Mr Tallboy in <i>Murder Must Advertise</i>. I can't say any more about the character for fear of dropping a spoiler.</HTML>

Date: January 24, 2003 09:26PM

<HTML>Complete bogglement is most of the West Midlands, if I'm not much mistaken.

If there was a UN anit-aggression policy, wouldn't that negate the point of having a UN?

Nah, they'd probably just exist to gloat over it...

My tasty plate of fish and chips also agree that New Year's Resolutions are not meant to eb kept. Just made, so that people think you're a person with self-discipline and get all impressed...</HTML>

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.