New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Browsers
Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 17, 2003 10:45PM

<HTML>I've started using Opera as an internet browser instead of IE, and for some reason the list of threads on the fforum looks really weird. When I go into a thread, all looks exactly as before.

Anyone else using Opera?</HTML>

Re: Browsers
Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2003 02:20AM

<HTML>Nope, I'm a Netscape girl...I don't like "Exploder" and I'm leary to try anything new for fear it'll blow up my computer and eat my soul.</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 18, 2003 01:50PM

<HTML>Never used opea, so no idea what's going on. In what way 'weird'?</HTML>

Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 18, 2003 02:11PM

<HTML>Personally I use <a href="http://www.mozilla.org">Mozilla</a>. It works fine unless someone writes a reallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreally long word, in which case it goes all a bit widescreen. On the up side it's compleately free (as in speach and in beer as the saying goes).</HTML>

Date: January 18, 2003 08:54PM

<HTML>Netscape is free...
but not sure you're supposed to have it outside the US due to the encryption stuff but I think it's based on Mozilla</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 19, 2003 05:34PM

<HTML>I use Explorer... How dull of me!</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 19, 2003 09:54PM

<HTML>it's nothing that I can't put up with, just in the list of threads, the boxes around the thread titles are quite large, so you end up with a lot more screen to scroll down.

I like opera, really I do. It's free, it's not microsoft, it usually works and it takes up less space and computer ooomph to run. But it does make the fforum look odd.

I can live with that.

Anyone wanted to try it, go to
www.opera.com

go on....</HTML>

Date: January 19, 2003 10:07PM

<HTML>hmm, probably measures the distance from the text to the edge of the box in a different way (possibly if your resolution is different to how it was expecting). Only a guess, mind</HTML>

Date: January 19, 2003 10:12PM

<HTML>The one good reason to stick with Exploder is that most designers assume that the content will be see in either that or Netscape, so stuff doesn't tend to go strange shapes....</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: January 20, 2003 10:55AM

<HTML>you can set opera up to pretend it's Explorer or Netscape...</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: January 20, 2003 02:02PM

<HTML>Cunning...

I want to be able to set up Exloder at work so the warning message stops tellling me that other people might be able to read anything I send (that rather being the point here) and starts telling me "Warning: Other people may bother reading this - are you sure it'sas funny as it first seemed? Click 'no' for a psychiatrist..."</HTML>

Date: January 20, 2003 06:23PM

<HTML>PSD, you can do that...it's in the preferences and security section, I believe. Just tell it to bugger off!</HTML>

Date: January 20, 2003 07:04PM

<HTML>I can't as the bloody uni keep on resetting it...</HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: January 20, 2003 10:46PM

<HTML>Personally, I've always wanted to change the little boxes that pop up and tell you "You program has just performed an illegal operation. We're not going to tell you which operation it was, just that it performed one, so we're going to force you to close the program with the long document you've almost finished writing, whether you want to or not, and we're not going to let you save your data first either." and then have only one button marked "OK" which they expect you to click.

Well, actually, it's NOT OK. I want another button I can click instead. Something along the lines of "No, it's not okay, but since I don't have any bloody choice I'll have to deal with it." or "Memory leaks suck" or perhaps "I hate Bill Gates" or something else along that line (but possibly less subtle).</HTML>

Date: January 20, 2003 10:52PM

<HTML>As the labour party version no doubt goes - "This program has just performed an illegal operation. No wonder the public health system is so poor... Press okay for a PFI deal to sort it out."</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 21, 2003 12:55PM

<HTML>lol

Seriously, it gets on my nerves too. I want a button that says, "All right, shut the damned thing down, but this button will automatically e-mail Microsoft with a testy message informing them that their product has let me down again."</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: January 21, 2003 01:13PM

<HTML>actually, I use Windows XP Pro at work, and it does exactly that. Although I can imagine how much notice Micros**t take of such missives .....</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: January 21, 2003 02:26PM

<HTML>Presumably Micrustacean (they're shellfish b'stards) use it to make sure they've put enough bugs in to make it worthwhile releasing a new version. And have you noticed how XP no longer tells <em>you</em> what the problem was, thereby consigning you to weeks of changing options fruitlessly, or hours on hotlines at premium rates....</HTML>

Date: January 21, 2003 05:43PM

<HTML>I have to say, I've had pretty good luck with XP...we had WinME and let me just tell you THAT was a piece of DOODOO! We had 640MB of RAM (more than that, I think) and we were having system resource problems because it had MASSIVE memory leak problems. Appparently, ME thought it was necessary to leave the memory it had assigned to a program assigned even when that program had been long closed. So needless to say, I have good muscle memory for the three-fingered-salute. (aka CTRL+ALT+DEL)

So maybe XP was just so much better than ME that it has blinded me to the problems it may have. Now, mind you, I HATE Microsoft and their business practices, but I think XP is a reasonable product. It's pretty easy to set up a home network. However, if someone were to actually come up with a better Operating System (hang on, don't jump in yet) that has REAL software support in word processing, games and graphics tools, I'd switch in a heartbeat!

But one thing I do agree with all of you on is that the popup crap is REALLY annoying! And I do with you could futz around with more stuff inside of XP. It does kind of take that control away.

<font size="-1"><B>OHMYGOD! Did I actually just defend Microsoft? Does this mean the world is about to end?!</B></font></HTML>

Date: January 21, 2003 11:54PM

<HTML>Don't get me wrong, XP is better than any previous version of Windows. Which is like saying that Balir is better than any other Tory PM of the last few years. I only ever have problems with media player, which hates playing DVDs, for reasons unknown.</HTML>

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.