New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Toast...
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 19, 2003 11:44PM

<HTML>Carrying on a burning topic from 'another place' - how does everybody else like their toast? Personally I like white bread done to a deep orange-brown, with plenty of butter....</HTML>

Re: Toast...
Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: January 20, 2003 12:32PM

<HTML>hovis 'sunny' (sunflower and honey loaf, yum), piping hot, smothered in hoummus.

oooh, this is making me hungry. Why do we always end up talking about food?</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 20, 2003 12:49PM

<HTML>Shhhh... don't tell the Goliath folks, but I actually <i>don't like toast...</i> Although I should say in mitigation that I do make my own wholemeal bread, and it doesn't tend to hang around long enough to be considered for toasting.</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: January 20, 2003 01:14PM

<HTML>White bread, thick cut, fairly well done (dark brown) ,,, smothered with butter, and if I'm feeling exceptionally uppish, marmalade.

Dave's method sounds good, though ... must try.</HTML>

Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 20, 2003 01:27PM

<HTML>I kind of went off warmed bread products since we got our <a href="http://www.sadgeezer.com/RedDwarf/toaster.htm">Talkie Toaster (TM)</a>. Before that I prefered lightly toasted bread (any colour) with butter and marmite.</HTML>

Date: January 20, 2003 02:48PM

<HTML>I went off Red Dwarf when they got their Annoying Kochanski (TM). Before that I preferred to have my breakfast consisting of a smoked kipper.

And can reference to m*rmite be corralled off to protect the innocent ... perhaps <ghastly goo> name of yukky spread </ghastly goo> would do it.</HTML>

Date: January 20, 2003 02:51PM

<HTML>ek .... the fforum believed my spoof m*rnite tags were real .... I wonder what it thought they meant?</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2003 06:19PM

<HTML>I like a good rich potato bread toasted to just a golden medium. Real butter slathered on liberally while bread is piping hot so butter melts properly. Then a generous dollop of raspberry jam. YUM!

I also love toasted bagels. My fave: an ET bagel with onion and chive cream cheese (ET bagels are topped with "everything" as in poppy seeds, sesame seeds, fennel (sometimes), dried onion, and usually kosher salt) And all that toasted to a nice golden, but decidedly NOT burnt, state then 'schmeared' with a good bit of the flavored cream cheese.

Dammit, now I'm hungry....thanks a lot!</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 20, 2003 06:52PM

<HTML>Kosher salt. That'll be salt that has hooves and also chews the cud, then.</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah B (193.164.100.---)
Date: January 20, 2003 07:34PM

<HTML>White bread, melting butter and still warm...mmm...

Or, alternatively, as part of a toasted cheese sandwich. But not cheese on toast, strangely enough.

Or with Lemon Curd is nice.

Don't like brown bread though.

Heck, now I'm hungry!!!

One hour and thirty minutes left of work then I'm done...</HTML>

Date: January 20, 2003 07:46PM

<HTML>orange curd is nice, kind of sherberty. Lemon marmalade is pretty good, but onion marmalade is even better, especially with ham. My favorite way of doing toast when I want to show off? French bread cut very thin, lightly toasted, then bacon grilled on top, followed by a little cheese, and then smoked salmon on top just grilled long enough to warm it....</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 20, 2003 09:08PM

<HTML>Isn't Kosher salt solar-dried sea salt crystals? I could be wrong, it's been a while since I thought about it.
Toast- white, thick, with plenty of Marge, properly melting intoo the toast and marmite thin spread, and with a good mug of lemon tea- use a slice of lemon, don't just squirt some jif or other concentrate!
mmmMMMMm *sounds of toaster being activated*

Anyway- are grills better than automatic toaster?</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 20, 2003 09:35PM

<HTML>oooh, psd has just reminded me of a fab place in oxford, sadly no more. Well, not so good anyway. place called Cafe Coco. They did this superb bread with a mixture of black olives, capers, chilies and anchovies, drizzled with olive oil then toasted.</HTML>

Date: January 20, 2003 10:26PM

<HTML>ook- only if it's a lean, mean grilling machine...

At school I used to sneak out to get lunch from a Deli next door. i must have been the only schoolkid to regularly have ciabatta (with whole black olives baked in!), with pastrami and mozzarella inside, bunged in an oven until the cheese melted. They even used to make it in advance for me... What's really sad is it was @#$%& than the school canteen, which served everything with cold chips...</HTML>

Posted by: Adam (212.137.30.---)
Date: January 21, 2003 12:38PM

<HTML>Thick cut brown bread, well done, plenty of butter (add thick cut strong cheddar for extra treat).</HTML>

Date: January 21, 2003 01:14PM

<HTML>Worcester sauce is the essential added extra for Welsh rarebit (cheese on toast to you).</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: January 21, 2003 02:19PM

<HTML>Or maybe 'rarebit' is the Elmer Fudd version...</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: January 21, 2003 02:22PM

<HTML>Dammit - it didn't post my first comment - which was that it should be spelt 'R-A-B-B-I-T' as it was for centuries before people decided that was obviously a mistake and it should be renamed to make it posh, as people couldn't possibly have meant to call it rabbit. Oh yes they could... And for realy good rabbbit, bung a bit of guiness into the mix too.

There was also a Scots Rabbit as well.</HTML>

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: January 21, 2003 03:09PM

<HTML>why call cheese on toast rabbit????
Rabbit is yummy and it doens't need toast or cheese!</HTML>

Date: January 21, 2003 03:20PM

<HTML>The story is there was once a Welsh cook who ran out of real rabbit and smothered his dishes in melted cheese to hide the fact. Or, alternatively it should actually be 'rarebit', in the sense of 'tasty' and 'rabbit' is just a joke. The Welsh name is Caws Pob or Pobi which is variously translated as 'roasted cheese' or 'cheese of the people'. Complicated etymology for such a simple dish.

And I agree with Carla. There is a lovely innocent little bunny-wunny, all cuddly and cute, lying even now within our freezer, who will soon be interred in a pie. Which serves him right for going into Mr. McGregors garden.</HTML>

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.