New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: somebody stop me
Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 24, 2003 12:22PM

<HTML>Fred the squid. Now there's a concept.

I once saw a cuddly squid in a shop. I very nearly bought it for my friend Iain. That probably tells you all you need to know about my friend Iain, apart from the fact that he's the original for Dr Jim Slip in the Nextarillion. He ought to be on this Fforum really - once I get him to read the books, he will definitely qualify.

Wilfred wants to know if he qualifies as an advanced life form, given that his diet consists almost exclusively of alcoholic beverages. On that scale, I suppose he ought to be at least as advanced as a normal Member of Parliament. He has also decided that Ooktavia must be his natural leader, since now that he has a Librarian to converse with he has become an ooked avian.

My dodo still hasn't arrived. Waaaaaah!</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: January 24, 2003 02:31PM

<HTML>Permanent diet of alcohol? Sounds familiar... Talking of squid, I saw in Private Eye that the Scotsman had a typo in it - substituting squid for squib. "Damp squid for the cities" makes a more interesting headline, I feel...</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 25, 2003 12:09AM

<HTML>Leader??? Me??? *blush* How nice. And a pun on my name I
(a) haven't heard before and
(b) contains no reference to Skoda (may it burn in hell)
This is a good day for me. And I did not stall the car once in my driving lesson. Yay!!
I have a bottle of Mead, bought in an experiemental mode, which I do not like. It's nice, sweet and strong taste to start with, but the aftertaste tastes like musuems smell. Especially Jorvik in York,. don't know why. Wilfred can have it, if he dosen't mind tasting musuems. It's alcoholic to a powerful degree- would he like it?</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 25, 2003 12:22AM

<HTML>I've always found mead undrinkable - a little bit musty, almost. Farmhouse cider is pretty hot though...</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 25, 2003 12:24PM

<HTML>Wilfred would probably love the mead, but this is not necessarily a good reason to give it to him. Basically that bird is totally undiscriminating, and would drink perfume if he couldn't find anything else. However, he seems to be in no short supply; I'm not sure where he gets it from, but I suspect he sneaks out in the small hours and raids the local pubs and off-licences. After all, anyone seeing a penguin in a place that sells drink at three in the morning is going to think they have the DTs in any case.

I've had mead once. I actually really liked it, but then it was rather posh mead bought in Cornwall for me by my parents. But then I like honey, especially as a cake ingredient.</HTML>

Posted by: Minsky Cat (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 25, 2003 12:26PM

<HTML>I like honey all by itself. In fact I have a special honey spoon (curiously, also from Cornwall) on which my staff can occasionally be purrsuaded to place a tiny drop of this golden nectar for my delight and delectation.

The other cats come up and sniff it now and again to see if they are missing anything, and conclude that I am insane. I can only say that they have absolutely no taste.</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 26, 2003 03:18PM

<HTML>I like mead - the posh stuff, anyway; Lindisfarne mead as purchased at the Chatsworth farm shop (coo er gosh posh). It's very good in coffee, too.</HTML>

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.