New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Next question
Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 21, 2003 01:02PM

<HTML>OK - this one occurred to me in an insomniac moment. If you could send one thing to Thursday from our time stream, what would it be? (Note: Minsky informs me that the UA of W Cat absolutely forbids sending copies of TEA or LIAGB, since if Thursday were to jump into one of her own books it would set up a paradox which could end up rippling through the entire Library and almost certainly boojumming Thursday in the process.)

I think I would send her a box of Thornton's chocolates. I'm pretty sure they don't have them in the Nextian universe, and nobody should be denied the pleasure.</HTML>

Re: The Next question
Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: January 21, 2003 01:24PM

<HTML>Since my current diet denies me that very pleasure, I object strenuously. And since she's in a different timeline, a list of Grand National winners 1986 - 2002 probably isn't much good.

How about a Terry Pratchett book? Then she could jump into that, get the Librarian to locate Landen in L-Space and bring him out, and then she could go back to her timeline with him, having nicely circumnavigated Goliath. Of course this might set up some paradoxes, buit nothing a bit of quantum couldn't sort out.</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: January 21, 2003 02:16PM

<HTML>I think the way these paradoxes get sorted out is 'If something has happened, then it's possible, no matter how hard the laws of physics try to deny it. Trying to argue that it's impossible is only going to make you look like a terrible smart-arse'.

If I could send anything to another timestream, and could make sure that it wasn't going to land in Thursday's then I'd send off the current government, and make sure they slipped back to the age of the dinosaurs, preferably next to a herd of <i>Deinonychus</i> that had just been out on the piss all night and felt like a bit of a ruck.

If I was sending something to Thursday, however, it would have to be TV signals showing Dale Winton, @#$%& as Creosote Dickinson and Richard and Judy - just to reassure her that she'd got the better end of the deal that included Adrian Lush....</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: January 21, 2003 03:25PM

<HTML>While I am sympathetic with Ben's quest to send New Labour back to the Triassic, (or possibly the cretinaceous) remember this sound advice; 'always keep a hold of nurse, for fear of finding something worse'. Some of us can remember something worse, only too viviidly ....

Do you think 65 Walrus Street is better or worse then East Enders?</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: January 21, 2003 03:31PM

<HTML>sorry, I should have typed 'parliament'...</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: January 21, 2003 05:14PM

<HTML>I think I'd send her the reading statistics (at least for portugal), so that she realises how lucky she is...
And then a tv, for her to compare with what people do when they're not reading, and then feel REALLY lucky :D</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2003 05:54PM

<HTML>I'd send her a laptop computer with a wireless interenet connection. Then she wouldn't miss Landen so much because she could spend all her time here on the Fforum with us!</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 21, 2003 11:51PM

<HTML>Ah, so that's why i post so much...</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 22, 2003 01:59PM

<HTML>Maybe she's already here, lurking? ;-)

I would send her some wensleydale cheese (tax paid). And some crystalised slices of lemons and oranges dipped in dark choclate, as only available in Fortnum & Masons, so good they should be illegal.
And worcester sauce, as J Ff has not mentioned it, it pains me greatly to think she might not have tried it..</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 24, 2003 10:02PM

<HTML>Hmm...

I think I'd have to send her an Eeyore. They don't seem to have the Disney corporation in her timeline either, and I'd hate to think that she'd missed out on the joy that is Winnie the Pooh.

Either that or the blueprints for a space shuttle that she could make a few bob off.</HTML>

Date: January 24, 2003 10:56PM

<HTML>Er, Winnie-ther-Pooh (you know what 'ther' means, don't you?) does exist in the Nextian timestream - as witnessed in the opening quote from Mrs Nakijima at the head of Chapter 15. And not the horrible cartoon version, either. Am I the only person to be really pissed off with the way Disney corrupted Eeyore's dry wit and made him a curmudgeonly git with no redeeming features?</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 24, 2003 11:16PM

<HTML>No, you're not. I loathe Disney and all their works (except for financing Pixar, obviously) but their travesty of Pooh was their worst and most evil deed.

"Tiggers don't like thistles".
"Then why did you bend a perfectly good one?"</HTML>

Date: January 24, 2003 11:37PM

<HTML>It's when everyone is playing poohsticks and Eeyore floats into view that he really shines...

"What <i>are</i> you doing there?", said Rabbit.

"I'll give you three guesses, Rabbit. Digging holes in the ground? Wrong. Leaping from branch to branch of a young oak tree? Wrong. Waiting for somebody to help me out of the river? Right. Give Rabbit time and he'll always gets the answer."

What's even more sad than the fact I have my well thumbed copies by my bed still, is the fact that at uni up to ten people would cram into one bed to listen to me read them aloud... Scary.....</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 25, 2003 12:03AM

<HTML>Like Eeyore, I like Boxes to Put Things In, and also Things to Put In Boxes....</HTML>

Date: January 25, 2003 12:13AM

<HTML>But unfortunately you'll no longer be able to go to Tupperware Parties to get your fix of plastic storage items. I've heard that Anne Summers' Parties feature lots of plastic goods, but they aren't as good at storing foodstuffs.</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 25, 2003 01:19PM

<HTML>lol.

I am also fond of the occasional red balloon.

Not only will you be deprived of parties, you won't even be able to get Tupperware - you'll have to settle for the best @#$%& subsitute that Safeways (or Woolworths I guess) can sell.

I'm sure you'll still be able to get your Ann Summers merchandise, whether you attend a party or not.</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 25, 2003 02:48PM

<HTML>My adorable little niece has a cuddly Pooh which talks. On hearing its voice for the first time (I haven't seen the films), my instant reaction was "Aaaargh! It's got an American accent!"

Don't get me wrong, Twila/Magda/anyone else in the transatlantic contingent. American accents are great... on Americans. But Pooh is quintessentially British and just shouldn't talk like that. If Disney can even get the voices wrong, I'm not in the least surprised at any of their other sins.

I'm really glad I haven't seen the films.</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 26, 2003 03:25PM

<HTML>I know someone who still has Pooh stories read to them at bedtime. I name no names. In our family anybody (usually me) acting glum is taunted with cries of "I could float down this river forever and no-one would care".

And as for salespersons ringing me up -

"Is that Mr. Bree- erley?"
"Let's pretend it isn't, and see what happens."</HTML>

Date: January 26, 2003 06:53PM

<HTML>Christopher Robin has a bastardized British accent...does that count?

"Oh, Pooh, you sillaey oohld beaah"</HTML>

Date: January 26, 2003 06:56PM

<HTML>Oh and Jon, on the mispronunciation thing...try having a name like "Twila" and see how many different ways telemarketers can come up with! (By the way, it's pronounced "T-why-la" for anyone who cares!)

AND add to that, I have 2 last names, no hyphen, so when they ask for Twill-a D....., I know it's a telemarketer without even having to look at the caller-ID on the phone! Or if they ask for Mr. D...., I know too! LOL, always cracks me up.</HTML>

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.