New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Lost my Good Books
Posted by: polly (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 21, 2003 06:35PM

<HTML>Hi Fforumites. I'd like the Chronoguard to take me back and eradicate the last week. I went of to Spain for a visit to my cousin, and got a call to say I had no home to come back to.

In short, a pipe froze and burst in the attic, taking a thousand odd gallons of water through my house. I have no ceilings, no wallpaper or plaster on many walls, and worst of all, a huge number of saturated books. Including TAA and LIAGB. I'm pig-sick!

I am of course insured, but the joys off loss adjustors and watching my soggy possesions being thrown into a skip is no fun! The guys doing the throwing today said "You have - er, had - a lot of books, don't you?" They haven't even seen all the soggy text books in the attic yet.

However, I'm squatting with a neighbour and my cat is being taken care of by another neighbour (No pets clause here). She was found very cold and wet, and apart from having gained her 25-yd swimming certificate appears unchanged. Apart from not speaking to me. Perhaps Minsky could have a word, and explain that I didn't do it deliberately. And get the chronoguard to undo it all.

Homeless Polly.</HTML>

Re: Lost my Good Books
Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2003 06:54PM

<HTML>Oh POLLY!!! I'm SO sorry! At least you and your cat are okay. And things can be replaced for the most part. But that doesn't take away the confusion and sadness. I hope things get back to close to normal for you soon! And just remember, the Fforumites are here for ya!</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 21, 2003 11:18PM

<HTML>Bad luck, if you've got any books left to rescue, use google to look up'saving wet books' and there's loads of information out there. Best of luck!</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: January 22, 2003 08:18AM

<HTML>*hugs polly* that must be awful!!!</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: January 22, 2003 09:40AM

<HTML>Oooooh bummer. I mean wallpaper can be replaced, but all those books .... if it happened to me I'd never remember all the titles that needed replacing, even if the insurance covered them ..... that is extremely bad luck, and you have my deepest sympathy.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to call the wife and get her to lag all the pipes in the attic ....</HTML>

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: January 22, 2003 12:26PM

<HTML>Commiserations. Sorry I can't offer more practical or useful help.
I hope everything gets sorted pretty quickly.</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 22, 2003 01:53PM

<HTML>Poor you, Polly! How awful!
*beams a Zen wave of sympathy acroos the watry wastes*</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 22, 2003 03:12PM

<HTML>Oh, dear, I am <i>so</i> sorry. I wish I could do something to help. Minsky asks me to pass on a very long sympathetic purr to your cat, and says that if she is like most cats he knows, she should be all right given plenty of time and affection. Nearly all cats dislike any kind of change in their surroundings, though the amount of change which will cause them real stress varies considerably from cat to cat. Klinsmann and Heidi have been quite upset by the amount of DIY which has been going on in my house recently, and for quite a while refused to have anything to do with David, who was the cause of it. However, Klinsmann seems to have almost forgiven him now, and Heidi will at least condescend to occupy the same room as David, which is pretty good going for her. Minsky and his brother Chomsky are both a great deal more relaxed and haven't been worried by the power tools, but I'm quite sure either of them would have been just as upset as your cat by such a trauma.

All I can suggest is that you see the poor creature as much as possible, and try to ensure that her circumstances are as quiet and stable as they can be until you and she are ready to move back into the house again. Some of her favourite treats might not be a bad idea, but I'd hesitate to recommend jingly cat toys without actually knowing her; none of my four very different cats would take at all kindly to them if under any stress.

I hope Ben's advice works for the books, and if it doesn't, that all of them can be replaced. Please keep us posted on developments; I'm sure I speak for everyone here in saying we're all right behind you.</HTML>

Date: January 22, 2003 05:48PM

<HTML>For your poor kitty, there's a great new product called "Feliway" that is a synthetic version of the pheremones in a cat's facial gland. It's the one that helps mark territory and relax the cat. (Have you ever noticed how when a cat is feeling happy, they rub their cheeks on you and everything around? It's an action that keeps them feeling secure) And this pheremone is neutral, so it just puts the cat at ease and doesn't truly "mark" the territory. It's colorless, odorless and doesn't seem to stain. (even my white couch!)

We've been using it to help our new kitten integrate into the family with the other cats. So far, it's been REALLY effective. We bought the plug-in oil diffusers as well as some spray. And within an hour of using it, things really calmed down. A lot of the animosity just vanished...like magic! And we're not having the urine marking problems...and THAT is really why we did it.

So maybe it can help your cat feel a little more calm and help protect your replacements from the inevitable marking and scratching problems.
<A HREF="http://www.feliway.com">www.feliway.com</a>

btw, I do not have ANY affiliation with this product! I'm just a happy consumer and lover of my kitties!</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 22, 2003 06:52PM

<HTML>If you want to move house easily you need the <a href="http://shop.store.yahoo.com/tailsbythebay/dogcatsporba.html">cat and dog sport backpack</a>, which is essential for anyone wanting to go hiking with their cat on their back.

Me neither....</HTML>

Date: January 22, 2003 07:00PM

<HTML>You wouldn't get any of my cats in there. At least, not if you wanted to keep all your limbs. I think even soppy old Chomsky would turn violent at the idea.</HTML>

Date: January 23, 2003 03:55PM

<HTML>Thank you for all the good wishes. I've just taken a trip down memory lane, watching all my PhD and MBA notes being thrown into a skip, as they're all too wet to rescue. I was keeping them all for sentimental purposes, and the thought that one day I just might want to review either cell biochemistry or Operations Strategy. I suppose it's one way of clearing your attic. I wonder if "Life Laundry" has considered the aquatic method? As for the textbooks, it brings a whole new meaning to wet chemistry.

All books which are unrescueable (is that a word?) are being documented for valuation, others will just be saved and stored. The poor guys doing all the clearing keep muttering about the number of books I have - that was before they went into the attic.

As for the cat, I'm sure she'd be grateful for Minsky's advice, if she weren't happily lording it in her new temporary accommodation. As a friend told me, whoever said "cat" and "loyalty" are words that go together? She may never return home. Never mind frequent visits, she glares at me with a feline "You're the one who left me to drown" accusatory look, and ignores me completely, whilst making up to the neighbours. She even lets their 2 yr old maul her, which she'd never stand for before. I doubt Ben would get her into a backpack though! She's always treated dangly cat toys with contempt, but does enjoy chasing a piece of ribbon (or small mammals).

Hope the wife's doing a good job of lagging the attic, Jon. the bad news is, mine WAS lagged, and still froze. Apparently it was -10C that night. The loss adjustor recommends leaving the heating on constant (not timer as mine was) and leaving the attic door open when going away. They're full of useful empty-stable door bolting advice like that. I may never dare to go away again, which for a travel-holic like me is a bit of a problem.</HTML>

Date: January 23, 2003 04:03PM

<HTML>'unrescueable' is a fine word. Probably not English but fine nonetheless.</HTML>

Date: January 23, 2003 04:12PM

<HTML>Dave will tell you how he tried to claim <b>I</b> should pay <b>him</b> when he left his
junk in my loft as it was insulating my house. I think I now have proof he
was wrong.

Dave: You owe me. A couple of beers at the very least !

Polly: If you want old PhD notes, I have plenty to spare. I've kept all mine.
I've not looked at them since my viva but am keeping them just in case...</HTML>

Date: January 23, 2003 05:17PM

<HTML>Very generous of you Rob. If I feel the need for loads of paper up in the attic when I eventually move back in, I'll be in touch. They might not have the same sentimental value though, not to mention that I doubt I'd understand them - wasn't yours in maths/physics? I'm a mere biochemist, so I can almost understand mine!

Ben, let this be a warning - back up all your data and keep it in safe places! If I'd been writing up and this had happened, it would have been a complete disaster. My laptop is unrecoverable, but the desktop is away for hard disc surgery. I hope it can be saved, but I think it's in intensive care.</HTML>

Date: January 23, 2003 05:41PM

<HTML>Yeah. Some kind of maths shenanigans. A pretty array of greek letters
spread over the page separated by '+' and '-' signs to make it look clever.

I fell out with chemistry back at 'A' level. All that, it's Wednesday afternoon
so carbon will form 3 bonds but only 2 bonds on a wet Tuesday morning.
Never did get organic...</HTML>

Date: January 23, 2003 10:30PM

<HTML>I can do Greek letters, lots of those in biochem too. I wasn't too great at inorganic chemistry either, but stick a "bio" on the front of it and it becomes much more interesting.

All mornings (and afternoons) are wet in my house for the time being, until the industrial heaters and dehumidifiers have done their work. Then it's over to the tender mercies of the builders. Why do I have the feeling that the next few months are going to be very Nextian? Is all this the work of the Goliath Organisation?</HTML>

Date: January 24, 2003 02:44AM

<HTML>just watch for that nasty mold! Don't let 'em put new plaster up until you're completely dry!! That stuff will make you SICK!</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: January 24, 2003 10:38AM

<HTML>I've got a nice big stack of cd's here that contain my information so far on them. Obviously I don't actually have a huge quantity of notes, but what little I have is safe. Ish.

(he says as he discovers that one of his map files got corrupted as he copied it off his supervisor, meaning a huge area of Scotland has ceased to exist for the purposes of his proect...)</HTML>

Date: January 24, 2003 12:23PM

<HTML>Oh, no! A McBoojum!</HTML>

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.