New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
linux
Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 22, 2003 08:42PM

<HTML>now we've covered browsers, cuddly toys and the like, time to move onto operating systems. Anyone on the fforum use Linux?</HTML>

Re: linux
Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2003 09:01PM

<HTML>we tried it once but I think our computer was allergic...so we didn't inhale [wink]

however, I think it was because the computer it was installed on was a legacy system and really didn't have the oomph to run it properly. And I have a feeling the installation cd might have been slightly buggered!</HTML>

Date: January 22, 2003 09:25PM

<HTML>I'm attempting to get it to run on a p133 laptop, with 16mb of ram and no cd drive.

ah, if it were easy, where would the fun be?</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 22, 2003 09:30PM

<HTML>(staying quiet cos I thought linux was the kid in Peanuts with the blanket)</HTML>

Date: January 22, 2003 09:33PM

<HTML>[slaps self on forehead]

no wonder I'm having problems getting the accursed thing to work. I've never installed a small child on a pc before.</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 22, 2003 09:55PM

<HTML>lol This is getting really surreal. Just the way I like it. ;-)

By the way, Wilfred has just reminded me what the Linux symbol is. There are some things he's not quite too drunk to remember...</HTML>

Date: January 22, 2003 09:59PM

<HTML>should that be 'not quite too drunk to forget'?</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 22, 2003 10:10PM

<HTML>"I'm too drunk to remember what I drink to forget" .... that's a country & western tune, isn't it? (Or should it be "I've got the alcoholic penguin dodo blues"?)

Here's a football result for Sarah;

Real Madrid - 2 Surreal Madrid - Fish

none of which helps with linux</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 22, 2003 10:18PM

<HTML>*falls off chair laughing*</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 22, 2003 11:42PM

<HTML>I was going to do the Peanuts joke, you varlet...

I have friends who use Linux, but haven't played with it myself, although I'm thinking of stiking it onto my old PC to see what it's like. Obviously I hae no idea of how to go about this, but never mind...

Surreal ought to have appeared in the Morte d'Arthur:

"And there was a passing strange night, and that was hight Sir Real, and y-wis he had uncouth visions of melted sun-dials."</HTML>

Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 23, 2003 01:56AM

<HTML>I'm waiting until I get a pc I don't care about to try linux on, oo, my flatmate has just got a new pc that we've speant all evening putting together (it woked 1st time btw, yay) I think i know what my victim is going to be.

(plz excuse typo's, been down pub)</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: January 23, 2003 01:56PM

<HTML>fuzz - Am I right in thinking you're at Exeter uni, where Microcon will be held? I think I know the treasurer of the Sci-Fi exec, but never pay any attention to what she's doing so can't be sure.

And sod operating systems, I'm suffering the world's least user friendly GIS program - after two days of puching various options, i've finally worked out how to join maps together at the edges... Now I've got to work out how to do anything useful with the results....</HTML>

Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 23, 2003 02:36PM

<HTML>Yup, I'm down in exeter, which for once is sunny. I used to know all the sciffy lot quite well (my flatmates were joint librarian/exec or something) but i've not seen them for a while now, but who was it? I'll probably know her. All the sciffy high command seem to have gone out with one another at some point, slightly scary.

Oh and GIS? Generally Idiotic System? Global Irritation a Speciallity? Great I'm Screwed?</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: January 23, 2003 02:48PM

<HTML>Fuzz, have you got a copy of linux to install then? If so, what version?</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 23, 2003 06:32PM

<HTML>Gis, as in Gis a decent system, then??</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: January 24, 2003 10:29AM

<HTML>GIS as in Geographical Information System. The sort of thing whose manual refers to "traditional linear representation of a complex three-dimensional environment in a two-dimensional, portable hard copy format".

That'd be a map, then...

Fuzz - is Jo Foster (the treasurer) the same Jo who comes from a small village in rural Warwickshire and that I still bump into occasionally? Might surprise her by turning up for this Microcon thing (obviously as Mr Ff is going o be there, I have an excuse)...</HTML>

Posted by: Adam (212.137.30.---)
Date: January 24, 2003 01:46PM

<HTML>I've never installed Linux (or any non M$ operating systems) on a PC at home, see the following simple equation:

'UNIX equals work', 'work does not equal home', therefore UNIX does not equal home' QED

Last thing I want to do when I get home from work is anything to do with UNIX.</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: January 24, 2003 01:56PM

<HTML>On which topic remember to come and have a look at Claire's PC ASAP please, cause she keeps playing patience on mine!</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: January 24, 2003 01:57PM

<HTML>um ... when I say 'mine' I actually of course mean 'yours' ....</HTML>

Posted by: Adam (212.137.30.---)
Date: January 24, 2003 02:02PM

<HTML>erm... see post on other thread regarding my forthcoming out of country activities</HTML>

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.