New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: books
Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: January 28, 2003 01:36PM

<HTML>{tries again, this time in the right thread...}

somehow, the idea of a Reading Library just (still) tickles my fancy...</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 28, 2003 07:12PM

<HTML>Same as the note on James Crick's desk -'Readng rots the mind'

I still worry about what he meant....</HTML>

Date: January 28, 2003 07:40PM

<HTML>Dammit - Jon's evil posting worked...</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2003 08:01PM

<HTML>'Reading rots the mind ..... Swindon just rots' (from an Oxford United website)

Whaddya mean evil? What do you think I am, some sort of SEB? I can assure you I am a picture of innocence, apart from my plot to take over the world, bwahahahaha! (oh what a giveaway)</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2003 08:06PM

<HTML>Pinky: "So Brain, what are we going to do tonite?"

Brain: "Same thing we do every night, Pinky...try to take over the world."

Pinky: "Naarf!"</HTML>

Date: January 28, 2003 08:14PM

<HTML>For those of you not familiar, that little excerpt was from every episode of "Pinky and The Brain" ever done. And from all the "Animaniacs" episodes that featured Pinky and The Brain.

Pinky and The Brain are lab mice. The Brain had experiments done on him that make him ultra-smart and Pinky is very stupid and says "Naarf!" a lot and speaks in a faux-Cockney accent. The Brain makes wonderful plots to take over the world and each episode is a new attempt. They're hysterical. And of course, they always get screwed up and the mice get put back in the cages at the lab. And every episode ends with the above quote. Except for I mis-quoted...it's TOMORROW NIGHT, not tonite. NAARF!

BTW, "Animaniacs" is a Steven Spielberg creation (and he also did Tiny Toons which is kind of like Looney Toons). "Pinky and The Brain" was a spinoff of "Animaniacs".</HTML>

Date: January 28, 2003 08:22PM

<HTML>Never crossed the pond AFAIK. Faux-cockney accent eh. Wasn't Dick van Dyke punishment enough?</HTML>

pinky and the brain
Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 28, 2003 08:27PM

<HTML>It did indeed cross the pond, and helped pass many an hour I should have been revising/cleaning the house etc. There were the Warner Brothers (and the Warner Sister, Dot). I liked PATB tho. Narf.</HTML>

Re: pinky and the brain
Date: January 28, 2003 08:44PM

<HTML>Hey Dave, I loved them so much, I even have Yakko slippers...the kinds with the big heads that make you trip when you go down the stairs. I also have a pair of Pinky and the Brain ones...one head is Pinky, the other The Brain. My cats are afraid of those ones though!

I even dressed as Dot for a costume party once! Black body suit, short pink felt skirt and stuffed felt tail. Oh and I wore cute ears from felt and wire. And I put stuffed white spats over my sneakers to make it look like I had big "Dot" feet. Wish I had pics!

Wish I could have watched more Animaniacs episodes though. It was hard to find on tv and my vcr was notoriously hard to set for auto record. But I watched a LOT of Pinky and The Brain when they had their own show.</HTML>

Date: January 28, 2003 09:03PM

<HTML>by the way, if anyone wants to see and hear a little of Pinky and The Brain, you can check out this site: <a href="http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/1130/pandb.html">[www.geocities.com]; Did I get the Cockney accent assumption correct?</HTML>

Posted by: Shadow (---.214.105.33.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: January 28, 2003 09:11PM

<HTML>Love Pinky and the Brain. Someone did a really funny Stargate music vid to the theme song subbing in O'Neill and Daniel, respectively.

As for Thursday jumping into unlikely places like The Raven, is it possible that her... lack of understanding of the complexities of such a jump make it easier for her? Experienced bookjumpers know full well what their limits are, but Thursday only has a glimmering of ideas about it. Maybe that acts as a sort of protection.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were a connection between The Library and the UU's Library. If Thursday ever happens across an orangutan, we'll know for certain. ;)

There's a mall in Vancouver BC that I've been in dozens of times, but no matter how carefully I pay attention to where I am, once I hit the food court I become hopelessly lost. And it isn't just the food. I've experimented- gone in hungry and gone in full. Doesn't make any difference, I still lose track of where I am. I swear the stores switch around when I'm not looking... and sometimes even when I am...</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 28, 2003 09:11PM

<HTML>I watched loads. I think I may even have a Pinky and the Brain tape somewhere</HTML>

Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 28, 2003 09:22PM

<HTML>Yup, I love the pinky and the brain too, although I accedentally caught some of the newer episodes, Pinky, Elmyra, and the Brain. Damn, I hate it when they mess with something which already worked.
Oh, and I'll be looking out for a bananna skin on a shelf somewhere in the library, I don't think Mr Fforde could get away with much more than that. 'Borowing' bits of classics is all very well but things could get messy fast if two very much alive fantasy worlds started to intersect. Fun to watch though (from a safe distance).</HTML>

Date: January 28, 2003 09:23PM

<HTML>Food often disorientates me... Especially kebabs. I can't work out why I feel dizzy after eating a kebab, or why it always gives me a headache in the morning....</HTML>

Date: January 28, 2003 09:46PM

<HTML>Desperate attempt by Shadow to get back on topic there. Ruthlessly ignored by flibbertigibbet fforumites.

Here, if you live in Canayda, Shadow, do you know the Bandy Papers, by Donald Jack, at all? (They are very funny historical novels set mainly in WWI, somewhat in the Flashman mould, but with a very different and very Canadian hero).

And as for kebabs ... I used to eat them for lunch. While sober. With green chiliies. Boy was I popular in the office.</HTML>

location, location, location...
Posted by: Shadow (---.214.115.201.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: January 29, 2003 12:58AM

<HTML>Oddly enough, I don't actually live in Canada, I just visit there a lot and *pretend* I'm not a nasty ol' Yank. ;)

Don't know the Bandy Papers, but I have heard of Flashman, so perhaps next time I'm up North raiding bookstores I'll keep an eye out for Jack's books.</HTML>

Re: location, location, location...
Posted by: Ooktavia (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 29, 2003 07:46PM

<HTML>The best kebabs in the known universe come from a small shop in the subburb of Rockdale, Sydney NSW, Australia. Fact.

Speaking of the Animanics (It's crazy, it's hectic/The scripts were all rejected), precisely how do you expect the unexpected?</HTML>

Returning to the Library...
Posted by: Minsky Cat (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 29, 2003 10:36PM

<HTML>Well, book-jumping may be quite different for humans, but from my point of view it's all very straightforward.

I am growing more and more convinced that all cats have a natural talent for book-jumping, but only the more literate ones have a chance to exercise it. Don't forget that the Library itself is run by one of our species. As for orang-utans, it should also be remembered that the Librarian was originally human but was turned into an orang-utan by a magical accident; he was, therefore, the Librarian before he was an orang-utan. I have no wish to demean orang-utans in general, but it must be accepted that he is a special case. (Incidentally, he is of course the Discworld's main JurisFiction representative, so I have met him on several occasions. I find him very agreeable, but I do wish he wouldn't insist on bringing Rincewind, who makes me want to chase him up a tree.)

I am fascinated by the various mathematical formulae proposed for book-jumping, but I am not at all sure that any can really be defined. It seems to depend at least partly on local conditions at the time, the literary equivalent of the weather, if I may attempt a comparison. It is very difficult to establish this by proper experiment, but my current theory is that whenever anyone reads a text, it causes a temporary disturbance in that text's literary field. As the reader progresses, the disturbance moves along the time line of the book; however, if the reader leaves the book partly finished, the disturbance remains in the same place and takes a considerable length of time to dissipate. If a book is not much read but generally finished by its readers, or on the other hand if it is very well read so that all the disturbances average out to a state of calm, it seems to be a great deal easier to jump into. However, since there is no way of telling exactly who is reading a book at any given time, where they have got to in the text, and whether or not they are likely to return to it in the future, then even if my theory can be proved, I am not at all sure that anyone could arrive at an accurate formula.

This, of course, is the other reason why it is impossible, even for me, to jump into <i>Ulysses.</i> It is not just the fact that the text makes no sense at all. It also has a great deal to do with the fact that so many people start reading it and then put it down in disgust. Miaow.</HTML>

Re: Returning to the Library...
Date: January 29, 2003 11:08PM

<HTML>Shadow - how do you feel about squirrels?

(bonus pints for those spotting the reference)</HTML>

Squirrelly topic
Posted by: Shadow (---.214.91.230.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: January 30, 2003 04:29AM

<HTML>I like Slappy and Skippy, but in general, I think they're evil. Of course, Slappy could be pretty evil herself, sometimes. Which is why I liked her. But it was a good evil as opposed to the bad evil of mundane squirrels.

Shadow
(who used to have a sound clip of "Who's on Stage" until her first computer blew up)</HTML>

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.