New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Book jumping
Posted by: sue gedge (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 27, 2003 06:21PM

<HTML>On the subject of book jumping, I wonder, if Thursday could arrange a book jump for YOU, fellow Fforde fans,where you would like to go? I have my own little fantasy, which I'm not quite ready to share yet----but how about posting yours up here?</HTML>

Re: Book jumping
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 27, 2003 06:35PM

<HTML>Coo, I remember this coming up on here somewhere during last August....

After a few extra months to think, obviously doing a bit of text running in the major religious books could lend itself to creating a better world - 11: Thous shalt not make pizza with second rate mozzeralla 12: Thou shalt not telemarket 13: Thou shalt not go south of the river at this time of night, guv...</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 27, 2003 08:45PM

<HTML>14. Thou shalt always replace the old toilet roll with a new one?

Hmmm....... I'd jump into the world of Doctor Who via a novelization, and bring back a TARDIS (and a doctor to operate it, maybe? The Paul MccGann one, if poss). I would then use this TARDIS to
(A) prevent all the episodes of DR W that were lost from being lost (Saaaaad) and (B) go back in time and open a small bank account at Coutts, also swiss banks if poss, and then wait for interest etc to make me very rich in the here and the now.

Then I wouldn't mind about not being able to jump into another book, cos I could have a nice time here, watching all the recovered series, and not having to work. Although the ChronoGuard might want a word, if the catch me, I suppose.</HTML>

Date: January 27, 2003 08:49PM

<HTML>15: Thou shalt wipe the toilet seat dry...</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 27, 2003 09:10PM

<HTML>16: Thou shalt not leave the cap off the toothpaste tube;
17: Thou shalt put all dirty knickers in the washing basket;
18: Thou shalt not wriggle in bed;
19: Neither shalt thou fart;
20: Keep clean thy floor, and use it not as storage space;
21: Thou shalt not covet the contents of thy house-mates fridge;
22: Thou shalt not shout into mobile phones;
23: Neither shall they have annoying ringtones;
24: The remote control is not thine alone, but for all;
25: Thou shalt not play Eminem loud at 0800 on the Sabbath;

and, most importantly
26: Remember that having the last word meaneth not the argument is won.</HTML>

Date: January 27, 2003 09:21PM

<HTML>As for the original q, I like Octavia's idea, only a bit more of the accumulation of money and a bit less of the Dr. Who tapes. (And of course I'd pick Tom Baker).

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep, and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do!"</HTML>

Date: January 27, 2003 09:36PM

<HTML>27: In the event of breaking No 19, thou shalt not pull the bed clothes over your spouse's head crying 'Cor, get a load of that one!'</HTML>

Posted by: Shadow (---.214.96.185.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: January 28, 2003 05:23AM

<HTML>I wouldn't mind a brief jaunt to Discworld, just for curiosity's sake. Although, knowing Ankh-Morpork, it'd probably be a particularly fatal brand of curiosity. But then, at least I might get to meet Death. ;)

Connie Willis' "To Say Nothing of the Dog" could be interesting, depending on when I was dropped... Victorian England, WWII London, or an undefined future time.

The Stargate SG-1 novels would be tempting, except they're poorly written and don't contain Jonas, which would be the whole point of dropping into that world. ;)

Wish I read more classics. I feel all shallow with my pop culture choices... Of course, the classics I DO like wouldn't be very fun to visit... To Kill a Mockingbird, Flowers for Algernon... the Metamorphosis... yeesh...

Maybe the back story of Lord of the Rings. Hang in the Shire, aware from all the nastiness. Eat good food. Lots of good food...

Shadow</HTML>

Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 28, 2003 12:21PM

<HTML>Good question, maybe a Douglas Adams, or maybe a Robert Rankin so I could go and have a pint in the Flying Swan.</HTML>

Posted by: Neville the part-time barman (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: January 28, 2003 12:28PM

<HTML>Do you mind ..... a pint of *Large* in the Flying Swan, if you please.</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: January 28, 2003 01:31PM

<HTML>Somehow the idea of a 'Reading Library' just tickles me.</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: January 28, 2003 01:35PM

<HTML>oops, wrong thread...</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 28, 2003 02:58PM

<HTML>That Dr Who quote is not Tom Baker, it's Sylvester Mcoy! (you can tell, cos he's talking to Ace) Would you really try & kidnap Time's Champion? Go for Paul Mccgann, he's game for a laugh, AND you wouldn't be disturbing his time stream, because he's no 8..... er...

Okay, I know too much about this programme. I blame my first not-boyfreind.</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: January 28, 2003 03:20PM

<HTML>I know it was Sylvester (O-Man Big) McCoy .... it's the last lines of the last ever episode ... I just think it's a cool quote. But for me, Tom Baker *is* the Doctor, because he was the one I used to watch every Saturday evening. Genesis of the Daleks, finest story ever. (Although I can remember William Hartnell, god elp me).

The esteemed and ever so slightly insane Tom Baker was also the definitive Rasputin, not mention that mad captain in Blackadder .... hang on while I drift off into a haze of nostalgia where the old Grandstand theme tune segues into Ron Grainer and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, and it's time to hide behind the sofa once again ..... and what do we get these days? Ian bloody Wright leading a bunch of baseball cap wearers round some moronic game show ..... Tut. Tch, even. I want my licence fee back.

(Note to colonials - you may think your TV is poor, but at least it isn't paid for by your taxes!)</HTML>

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: January 28, 2003 03:35PM

<HTML>I'm interested to know what a 'not boyfriend' is ?

And is it possible to think of one without thinking of a boyfriend first ??</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: January 28, 2003 03:49PM

<HTML>Oh, I know what a 'not boyfriend' is. I've been one of them, several times. And it's perfectly possible for the female part of the equation not to think of a boyfriend .... the male half thinks of very little else, and much good it does him.

(How is it that when I was young and attractive - stop larffing at the back - I was the perennial not-boyfriend, and now I'm older and fatter and a bit saggy at the seams, I'm married? Go figure.)</HTML>

Date: January 28, 2003 07:08PM

<HTML>Don't know, but it offers me some solace. Unless, of course, it merely proves that you sell out as you get older...</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2003 07:24PM

<HTML>No, it just means that the woman has reached maturity and has decided to find and keep a life-partner. Biologically speaking, all this means is that she's paying more attention to the pheremones and other chemical signals than she's paying to her vision. Looking for a decent provider who will be there, etc... It's biological fact!

(No offense, Jon, I'm sure you're lovely!)

Oh and by the way, what a woman finds attractive changes as she matures...sometimes kind, sweet eyes and a warm smile (even if the teeth are crooked) can beat out big pecs, washboard abs, a tight tush...especially if the man is moderately intelligent and somewhat witty. I mean really! Who would want to spend the rest of her life with Mr. Eye Candy if he can't carry on a conversation and make you laugh! Puh-leeze! Of course there are a few Mr. Eye Candys out there who are also witty and intelligent, but most of them play for the other team. ***sigh***</HTML>

Date: January 28, 2003 08:07PM

<HTML>>sometimes kind, sweet eyes and a warm smile (even if the teeth are crooked) >can beat out big pecs, washboard abs, a tight tush...especially if the man is >moderately intelligent and somewhat witty.

Here, have you been peeking?

(Fortunately very few Miss Eye Candies play for the other team.)</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2003 08:59PM

<HTML>was describing Jon...MY Jon...the hubby! ...sheesh, what would Claire think!</HTML>

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.