New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Ah, Bach!
Posted by: Sarah B (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 27, 2003 10:22PM

<HTML>OK, does this quote mean anything to anyone else, or is it just me?

"That's highly significant..."</HTML>

Re: Ah, Bach!
Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 27, 2003 10:35PM

<HTML>The only thing I can think of is the Bach motif in Dirk Gently .... is that significant?</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 27, 2003 10:49PM

<HTML>I was stumped until I read jon's reply. I'm with him, sounds v.Dirk</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 27, 2003 10:51PM

<HTML>No idea what's going on, even if I did read both Dirk Gently books after somebody left them next to the toilet in my house last year...</HTML>

Date: January 27, 2003 10:59PM

<HTML>For entertainment, not as a critical comment...</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: January 28, 2003 11:00AM

<HTML>aha! I have googled, and it is a quote from Radar O'Reilly in the TV series of M*A*S*H ..... I enjoyed the (first two) books, and the film, but the TV series went on way too long, and jumped the shark, IMO, when Klinger stopped cross-dressing. Or when Frank Burns left. Or possibly both.</HTML>

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: January 28, 2003 01:00PM

<HTML>Still very good TV though.

(I don't remember Major Burns leaving so perhaps I didn't watch the last
series.)</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: January 28, 2003 01:27PM

<HTML>I preferred the film, though the TV series was good. I liked the commander (can't remember his name) and his painting of a thumb in his 'office'</HTML>

Date: January 28, 2003 06:56PM

<HTML>Major Burns left when Major Houlahan got married. Which was towards the end... ish. The 7th season I think. Or something like that.

I was just checking that I hadn't, in fact, gone crazy. Well, for a given value of crazy.

I like BJ and Hawkeye, they share my sense of humour.

"That's highly significant..."

I've read Dirk Gently and was immensley unimpressed. Well, I was impressed until I got to the last chapter, and it sort of ended on me...</HTML>

Date: January 28, 2003 07:03PM

<HTML>Vienna...</HTML>

Date: January 28, 2003 08:04PM

<HTML>ladadadiiii...</HTML>

Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 28, 2003 09:33PM

<HTML>I never found a Douglas Adams book which didn't make me laugh out loud at least once, also there's usually a bit which made me think wow, big idea and puzzle for half an hour.
Random Dirk Gently Quote:
"for there is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact" he added, brandishing the abused book, "everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' appears to be missing."

Course now there's no more DNA books for me to find, *sniff*, damn shame.</HTML>

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.bb.online.no)
Date: July 29, 2005 08:54PM

The quote is from an episode where Radar sort of fell in love with a new nurse, who had a great interest in classical music and books. So in order to get her interested in himself, he talked to Hawkeye, who suggested a few replies whenever she mentioned books or music by certain composers/authors...

Anyway, you missed quite a lot more than just the last series; Blake and Trapper left at the end of the 3rd season, Blake getting killed and Trap being sent home. They were replaced by Potter and BJ, whereas Burns left at the end of the 5th season due to a breakdown and subsequent promotion(!), and Radar left only four episodes into season 8.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.