New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
book reviews
Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 28, 2003 08:42PM

<HTML>found a great site with reviews of various sci-fi books/tv/films/cons (amongst other stuff), and there happened to be reviews of TEA and LIAGB.

If you're interested, <a href="http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~susan/sf/books/f/fforde.htm#9960">click here</a>

The author also appears to be a fan of John Varley. How cool is that?</HTML>

john varley
Date: January 28, 2003 09:31PM

<HTML>for those who are interested, John Varley happens to be one of my favourites. He wrote the Gaia trilogy some years back, all about what happens when a sentient space station goes mad and thinks it's God. Though it is actually God, which is kinda kooky.

Also wrote several books in his 'Eight Worlds' sequence, based on the premise that mankind has been booted off earth and is forced to live on the moon and other planets. Highly recommended.

And if by some crazy chance someone happens to be in a bookshop/second hand place and sees a copy of 'Blue Champagne', can they either
a. let me know or, if you're feeling flush
b. buy it for me and I'll give you the dosh. Assuming it hasn't cost more than a tenner say... It's the only one I haven't got and I've scoured heaven and earth for a copy....</HTML>

Re: john varley
Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 28, 2003 09:36PM

<HTML>Mankind has been booted off the earth? Well some of us do have trouble bothering to pay the rent on time, despite having the money and being reminded by helpful freinds.
/me <i>eyes nearby flatmate ominously, whilst reaching for blunt instrement</i></HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 28, 2003 09:38PM

<HTML>As far as I'm concerned Blue Champagne is a rather nice drink consisting of Champagne and Blue Curacao. Very nice it is too.</HTML>

Date: January 28, 2003 09:44PM

<HTML>how did I know we'd end up going off topic.....</HTML>

Date: January 28, 2003 09:46PM

<HTML>Not my fault Guv'nor - I just have this sort of Ethanoic Tourette's Syndrome - one mention of anything vaguely alcoholic, and I can't help but blurt it out....</HTML>

Date: January 28, 2003 09:47PM

<HTML>and while we're there, try <a href="http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html">this</a> for size...</HTML>

Re: Evil Overlord List
Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2003 10:32PM

<HTML>I read the list (link in last post) and immediately thought of Evil Harry Dread, who did all those things, AND remembered to have guards with big jangly keys held onto their belts only by a hook.</HTML>

Re: Evil Overlord List
Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: January 29, 2003 08:07AM

<HTML>I started reading the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy last night...</HTML>

Book review
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: January 31, 2003 01:59PM

<HTML>Best book review I heard recently came off a climbing buddy -

"I can't read in a car without feeling ill, but I read the entire book in one go whilst travelling across France, having to hold my stomach the entire while. After I finished I got my parents to pull over and spent 15 minutes throwing up."

Must have been good...</HTML>

Re: Book review
Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: January 31, 2003 02:02PM

<HTML>and the book in question was?</HTML>

Date: January 31, 2003 07:56PM

<HTML>Er, 'Touching the Void', I think</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 31, 2003 09:05PM

<HTML>I wouldn't dare do that. I couldn't take the risk of ruining a good book by throwing up all over it. :-(</HTML>

Date: January 31, 2003 11:47PM

<HTML>Well, the point was rather that he forced himself to wait until a suitable
point in the book where manuscript wasn't threatened - ie after he'd finished it. An example to us all... He's an example to me anyway -especially after he went straight up a route that'd kill me without even breaking sweat (alhough later on he launched into mid-air to hit a hand-hold, missed and broke a rib - not an example I'll take, if you don't mind....)</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: February 01, 2003 11:34AM

<HTML>There are times when all the self-control in the world can't prevent one's lunch escaping at a greater speed than it went down. Having once had gastric 'flu, I know what this is like... hang on, I'm in the wrong thread really, this is turning into an icky medical discussion...</HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: February 03, 2003 04:51AM

<HTML>Well, there are a number of copies of Blue Champagne at www.abebooks.com

Prices range from $5 to $202 (but even if you want a signed and numbered limited edition hardcover with dust jacket, still shrinkwrapped, there are some @#$%& than that particular one). Unfortunately they all appear to be in the US or Canada, so shipping might be pricey.
.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.