New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The Book The Eyre Affair
Posted by: carole ward (---.dialup.lineone.co.uk)
Date: September 22, 2001 06:31PM

<HTML>The book.............I hope Mr FForde reads this web site from time to time. I think the Eyre Affair is fantastic......I did late 18th early 19th C literature for my degree which makes it even better. My husband works in Swindon ( God help him) and has to drive past the Leigh Delamare service station every day! Plus I.ve got two kids so the irony of Braxton Hicks is not lost. Hopefully Mr Fforde will come to Waterstones in Bath where we live and talk about his work, I haven't enjoyed a book so much for ages. More please. Carole Ward</HTML>

Re: The Book The Eyre Affair
Posted by: Lyndsey Minett (---.zen.co.uk)
Date: January 15, 2002 12:48PM

<HTML>I'm adding to this thread rather than starting a new topic as I want to heap praise on Jasper Fforde too! If you're reading this I have actually met you Jasper. I was on the BTBS book walk, where you were signing unproofed copies. Of course, I wasn't bothered much at the time, too busy thinking 'ooh good free book' and 'ooh good free booze'. When the dodo arrived in the taxi, I a) realised I'd had too much free booze (you may remember someone sitting groaning on the pavement) b) thought I would have to read this book.
And what a great read, I was so excited when I saw it in the book charts! I promise to actually buy your next book and not hang around strange bookshops, slurring my name ('that with a Y and an E')
I'll go away now</HTML>

Posted by: Harlequin (---.rivrw2.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 23, 2002 12:54PM

<HTML>This kind of the what may be science fiction is refreshing and enlightening. Holdong my breath for the release of book two and can I get some recommends for similar styles.</HTML>

Posted by: Flightless (---.a.003.mel.iprimus.net.au)
Date: February 18, 2002 04:44AM

<HTML>Perhaps you could try Douglas Adams? The Hitchickers Guide to the Galaxy series and The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul.</HTML>

Posted by: Leigh Anne Vrabel (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 19, 2002 04:07AM

<HTML>I have to jump into this thread because I just finished the book today and I plan on starting it again first thing in the morning. It's brilliant. Not only is the book well-written and clever, it has special powers: when I read it on public transport, it has the magical effect of clearing a three-seat radius around me, as I've been laughing myself into pancreatic fits over the wordplay.

Incidentally, the book was given to me as a Valentine's gift, and the irony of meeting Thursday on Thursday was just too good to keep to myself. :)

Looking forward to the Next one...

L.</HTML>

Posted by: Shery Kearney (216.77.96.---)
Date: February 21, 2002 08:29PM

<HTML>My 10-year-old daughter who wants to live 19th century England and I are reading this book together chapter by chapter. I can already tell that we will be disappointed when we are finished. We are having great discussions together.</HTML>

Posted by: Shadow (---.214.107.146.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 01, 2002 04:54AM

<HTML>Probably could have finished this book in a day, it was so good. Unfortunately my day started in the middle and didn't last as long as it should have (don't ask, I couldn't tell you). HOWEVER when I DID finish I was so thrilled with it that I immediately made it a Staff Selection (I have the dubious honor of working in a book store). I am now in the process of trying to convince, coerce and otherwise command my coworkers to read it as well. To say nothing of the customers.

I've become convinced that "The Eyre Affair" and quite possibly Jasper's writings in general are some sort of virus that I have caught and am now trying to spread to everyone else. Possibly due to some strange variant of the bookworms? Whatever. I am happily infected and will continue to spread The Word until contagion is worldwide. What sweet madness...

Shadow</HTML>

Posted by: Kim (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: March 11, 2002 12:43AM

<HTML>...You are not alone in feeling like a virus has infected you. Time and space just don't seem the same any more. Weird things now have completely plausible explanations - the trouble is that people who haven't read the book don't understand them. When you are in a solicitor's office signing an affadavit (don't ask) and it is riddled with, comma's, and apos'trophe's, and you say "it's the bookworms" - people just look at you. Hence the need to spread the book around and get people to read it - so that they will understand how things work now. Thankyou very much , Jasper for explaining so much.</HTML>

Posted by: Jedidiah (---.jcu.edu.au)
Date: March 21, 2002 09:25PM

<HTML>I have to say, I loved this book - it was fantastic! But here in Australia we did not recieve any marketing whatsoever, my brother found The Eyre Affair in a Dymocks bookstore in Stocklands shopping center, Townsville (that's in Queensland, a state of Australia...) and after he'd finished raving about it he lent it to me. I cannot wait until the next book comes out, but I am wondering, if TN2 is released in July 2002 in the UK, is it possible to find out when it will make the journey to Australia?And Jasper, do you have any lans to visit the land down under?</HTML>

Posted by: mary salter (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 15, 2002 05:06PM

<HTML>i agree with everyone who has come before me and raved about the book, it's still sitting on my bookshelf as I can't bear to take it back to the library yet, I'm reading it again everytime I have insomnia, and chortling into the pillow to avoid waking the rest of the household. Is there any chance that Thursday could nip into Wuthering depths, sorry Heights and give the characters elocution lessons? Waiting anxiously for the next book, hope its as wonderously strange as the first.</HTML>

Posted by: Friday (---.114.popsite.net)
Date: May 10, 2002 05:43PM

<HTML>What a delicious adventure. My favorite laugh?
"Please!" pleaded Mycroft. "You're Upsetting The Wor'ms! They're Starting to hy-phe-nate!"
Eager for the next volume.
Thanx for the fun.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.