New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Skyrail
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: January 31, 2003 11:19AM

<HTML>Nextian News - Birmingham's new Air-Rail Shuttle is to be named 'Skyrail' after people pointed out that ARS wasn't the best acronym going....

<a href="http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:4Aci3Ki9oF0C:www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/news/index.shtml+skyrail+birmingham+ARS&hl=en&ie=UTF-8">Proof available here.</a></HTML>

Re: Skyrail
Date: January 31, 2003 11:31AM

<HTML>And talking of Nextian Issues, anybody else noticed that Crichton's new sci-fi thriller features a load of nano-tech machines that threaten to turn the world into grey goo? Maybe it would have been too obvious if it was pink goo...</HTML>

Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 31, 2003 12:37PM

<HTML>I think the whole "Gray Goo" thing is from an earlier book about out of control nanotech, I'm not sure where (I'm sure a bit of googleing could find it out), hence the basis for the pink goo joke I thought. No wait, I'm getting the name Bruce Stirling from the deep recesses of my memory, could be wrong tho.</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: January 31, 2003 12:55PM

<HTML>copycats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</HTML>

Date: January 31, 2003 01:24PM

<HTML>
Actually, and slightly strangely, it turns out to be a sci-fi staple from ages back, according to a review of a book in Nature last week. Strange what you can find out there when you start to look. Drexler, I think was the first to popularise it, back in 1986....</HTML>

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: January 31, 2003 03:10PM

<HTML>well, the town where my parents still live and next to where Bea lives will have a Monorail!

*what did I say? Monorail!
What is the word? Monorail!
Monoraaaail, monoraaaaail, monoraaaaaaaail*

(i hope there are more Simpsons fans around...)</HTML>

Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 31, 2003 04:45PM

<HTML>Well, (inspired by another forum I lurk in,) we could have a simpsons quoteathon. Trouble is, my favourite quote relies entirely on Homers voice:

Flanders: "I understand why you took my flowers, but did you have to salt the earth so nothing would grow?"
Homer: "Yeah"
He says it in such a smug way, allways makes me laugh.</HTML>

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: January 31, 2003 05:16PM

<HTML>i used to have a simpsons trivia question calendar and i was quite chuffed at how many i got right.

one of my fave quotes is "another monopoly related crime" or something like that!
;-)</HTML>

Posted by: vampire (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 14, 2006 07:43AM

But who do you suppose CREATED the "Sci-fi staple from ages back"?
I'll bet my dodo nobody knows, and it's all a time traveling paradox of Shakespearian proportions!
(Incidentally, more of a South Park fan myself)

Post Edited (05-17-06 03:36)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You wants it? How Gollum-esque!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.