New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Whatever Next?
Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2003 02:05AM

<HTML>As for an email address, simply get a 6MB one at Yahoo...they're free, ya know!

And as for extra webspace to store them, if you get an address at Yahoo, you automatically have an account at GeoCities. And again, that's free and has 15MB of space. And then Jon wouldn't even need to host unless he really wants to. And a core group of people could have access to the password. All for free. And the URL would be something like www.geocities.com/Whats_Next or whatever we can manage to get for a screen name. So it wouldn't be too hard to remember.

I can work on a banner...I do have some experience with Photoshop and web graphics. Maybe I can talk Jasper into letting me borrow his logo. I'll put an email into him asap.

And I was thinking...if we want this to be web based and not email based, then the best way to notify people is to have a mailing list setup. And that way, when a new edition is ready, a single email can be sent to alert them. There are several free mailing list companies. Something like <a href="http://www.ctrlemail.com/">www.ctrlemail.com</a> would work. Too bad ListBot.com isn't around any longer. Whatever is used it needs to be able to be subscribed/unsubscribed from via a script on the What's Next webpage and thru the emails sent. Otherwise it's a total pain in the arse!

Just a few ideas...but anyway, count me in! Oh and by the way, I do have some experience with HTML and getting it to look the way I want it to. And if I get stuck, my husband does this kind of thing for a living, only more so.</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2003 02:34AM

<HTML>You know, we should probably try to figure a color scheme too...otherwise doing a header is a pain. I figure we should go off some kind of scheme like the covers of the books, the question is which one? The peachy orange and blue of TEA or the lovely lavendar and jewelly peach of LIAGB....I'll try to do mockups with both....</HTML>

Posted by: Vanessa (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: February 04, 2003 05:46AM

<HTML>Can I bag doing recipes? Have a lovely one for Camel, that could easily be substitued with mammoth....oh hang on, was that recipes FOR extinct animals, or extinct animal recipes? Either way, can I? and also recipes to accompany books...eg, might want to get stuck into some special 'prison food' suggestions while getting stuck into The Green Mile,,,bla bla bla.</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: February 04, 2003 12:34PM

<HTML>I'll do some subbing too if you want. And considering David and I were the only two people to be present at both the noodle bash and the Buxton outing, I suppose one of us has got to write 'em up. Er, could I cheat and suggest you lift my existing write-ups from the relevant threads? It's just that David has this very morning dumped a load of work on me which includes sorting out his stock and writing his mastectomy page... and he himself is doing a fairly major re-work of his website. Oh yes, and my OU courses have just started. I'll do whatever I can, though.</HTML>

Posted by: Simon Reeve (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: February 04, 2003 12:55PM

<HTML>Greetings to all of you, from a new reader (who's been busy recommending Fforde's books to everybody he knows...). I'm interested in 'Whatever Next', although I don't know whether I'd ever find enough time to write anything for it as my only "easy" access to a computer is at work and there's a limit to how long I can spend on-line here (and I'm already writing regular contributions for "Alarums & Excursions", which is a [long-running] APA about roleplaying games)... Hmm, actually I've just thought of an idea for an article: What bits of history can we blame on the 'French revisionists', and how _ given the aid of a time-travelling agent such as Colonel Next _ could those situations be changed "back" to the way that they should have been? Or hHas anybody else already covered this in a discussion that I haven't read yet?</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: February 04, 2003 12:59PM

<HTML>I seem to remember it being a recurring topic that turns up from time to time. I don't think anybody ever became terribly bored of it though... And welcome, btw.</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah H Egginton (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: February 05, 2003 12:05PM

<HTML>Hi, Simon - welcome to the madhouse. You'll like it. ;-)</HTML>

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.