New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Fab book & photos!
Posted by: The Usual Suspect (---.iaw.on.ca)
Date: September 27, 2001 12:50AM

<HTML>Jasper , in the process of signing hardcover books, unbeknownst to anyone,
slipped numerous numbered/limited photographs of things mentioned throughout
the book into random copies. I have a black and white photo limited to 63
copies of a Dodo crossing over a hedge entitled Stile-ish Dodo; a chocolate
spanner, Thursday Next's licence plate, and an assortment of Goliath
Corporation products( these last 3 in colour).
Jasper informs me that there are about 1200 photos out there of 17 different
things!!
I've also seen a limited edition T-Shirt for sale somewhere!!!!!!
That's the info to date.....and check your hardcover copies for hidden
photos ( there may be more than one in each!!)........then let me know!
Best, Jeff( from Canada !!!)
The Usual Suspect</HTML>

Re: Fab book &amp; photos!
Posted by: Excella Whayman (---.bbnplanet.com)
Date: October 23, 2001 08:43AM

<HTML>I must also join in the extreme congratulations for a superb book. I have made all my friends and my mother read it too.

I read it on holiday - not so embarrassing to laugh by the pool - and then read it all over again on the plane home! Never done that before!</HTML>

Re: Fab book &amp; photos!
Posted by: John Connelly (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: October 23, 2001 01:13PM

<HTML>Hear Hear, excellent book!

I was given the book as a present, whilst in hospital being fitted for advanced bionics. I laughed so hard, I thought I'd short circuit my external hip actuator!

Roll on July 2002!

Thanks for the characters, JFf

John Connelly - West Sussex's leading bionic implant merchant</HTML>

Re: thursday when?
Posted by: lillo tramontana (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 22, 2001 12:21PM

<HTML>Like everyone else, great book. A thoroughly enjoyable read. Why does no one seem to think that Thursday's father is the best character? I love him. The guy is mad as a March Hare. Or is he one for real in the next book???????????/</HTML>

Posted by: BeelzeBob (---.southglos.gov.uk)
Date: January 15, 2002 01:52PM

<HTML>There is a small bookshop in Yate (much like Swindon only more compact and bijou) which sells ex library books. Whilst browsing through the battered tomes last October, I came across this brand new looking red and blue volume, 'The Eyre Affair' by someone I'd never heard of with ffar too many 'f's in his name. Assuming it had been put on the wrong shelf I checked inside and it was indeed stamped 'WITHDRAWN'. Thinking that it must be a pile of Dodo poo-poo having been withdrawn so soon after publication I was wary of spending my hard earned 99p. However the lure of the Dodo on the cover was too great and I finally succumbed. Best 99p book I ever bought. If I was the kind of person to laugh out loud I'd have laughed out loud. As it was there were many twitchings of the corner of the mouth.

High praise indeed.

BeelzeBob

PS. Cool website(s) too.

PPS. Is Swindon twinned with Brentford?</HTML>

Posted by: Andrea (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 23, 2002 09:10PM

<HTML>I've just finished reading the book, literally just finished and still feel a little shell shocked. I already have a queue of people waiting to read it and have ordered the next (and a hard back 1st to add to my book collecion).

I found out about the book through a number of recommendations online, some in a romance news group, some a science fiction one and some in a crime one. That intrigued me greatly, liked across the board hmmm best try it. Contacted a friend to order it through his shop and recieved it at new year. Only got round to opening it on monday and had chance to read less than 100 pages but that was enough. Showed colleagues at work, a woman reading a pratchett in the local art gallery and a man on the train. I think my friends might be a little bored with me telling them to read it but will give in to keep me quiet. Cant wait for the next...and the one after :-)

Andrea</HTML>

Posted by: talpianna (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 01, 2002 06:22AM

<HTML>A lovely book. I was looking for something else on amazon.uk (I'm in Arizona) and it came up as one of my recommended books; I looked at the reviews and was hooked. I am probably responsible for their being an American edition, as there always is after I've paid UK price for a book. Which means there will be one of the sequel, as I have no intention of waiting for the US edition.

In addition to the obvious similarities to Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, and Tom Holt, I was also reminded of two much more obscure favorites of mine, both containing humor but not exclusively humorous. One is my all-time favorite short story, "The Celestial Omnibus" by E.M. Forster. The other is the wonderful but much more obscure novel SILVERLOCK by John Myers Myers, about a man who is shipwrecked on the Commonwealth of Letters and has many life-changing adventures. The friend who introduced me to it in graduate school said it could be used as a M.A. exam in Comparative Literature.

I wondered if Mr. Fforde had read either of these?</HTML>

Posted by: Flightless (---.a.003.mel.iprimus.net.au)
Date: February 18, 2002 04:40AM

<HTML>Sorry to be replying VERY late to this posting but I've only just checked out this message board for the first time. I had that same problem as I read the book, I kept bursting out laughing. Not a good way to appear like a sane and rational member of society. I envy the person who got to listen to Jasper give a reading. When will he be in Melbourne, Australia???</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: August 19, 2002 01:13PM

<HTML>« I have a black and white photo limited to 63
copies of a Dodo crossing over a hedge entitled Stile-ish Dodo; a chocolate
spanner, Thursday Next's licence plate, and an assortment of Goliath
Corporation products( these last 3 in colour). »

I've got a close up of Thursday's car (the hood and part of the lamp). It's absolutely fab, all the colours as I imagined them.
And my copy is a signed one!
To think that when I picked it up from the shop last year (when I went to england) because the description sounded nice I would get a signed copy, a photo (both things I only discovered when I got home lol) and MAGNIFICENT BOOK!!!!!
Last week I went abroad and got 'Lost in a good book' and again it's amazing!!!!! You simply don't want the book to end, and when you read that the next is only in 1 year you wonder how you'll survive :((((</HTML>

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.