New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Thursday When?
Posted by: rosie (---.dialup.lineone.co.uk)
Date: July 18, 2001 07:39PM

<HTML>When, oh when, oh when is the next adventure of Thursday Next?

Rosie</HTML>

Re: Thursday When?
Posted by: Eva (---.dialin.co.uk)
Date: July 19, 2001 10:03AM

<HTML>Summer 2002 in the UK according to Jasper Fforde's website - I can't wait!
Check out www.jasperfforde.com/lostinagoodbook.html for a synopsis and details of publication.</HTML>

Posted by: Rosie (---.dialup.lineone.co.uk)
Date: July 19, 2001 09:56PM

<HTML>Cheers Eva.

I can't believe how good a read it was. I'd heard nothing about it - infact, it was only the comment on the back by Terry Pratchett that persuaded me to give it a go.
Am I glad I did.

Not many people on this board though. Hopefully more will come. Soon.

Toodles
Rosie</HTML>

Posted by: Tamlin Roberts (---.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 20, 2001 01:41PM

<HTML>The reason for there not being many people on here is that the site was only launched on the 19th of July.. Hopefully there will be more soon.

So if your reading this, ost a message.</HTML>

Posted by: cordelia (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 21, 2001 10:53PM

<HTML>mmmmm, was good wasn't it? bit douglas adams? I really liked the dead cheeky history bits...</HTML>

Posted by: Lucy Lala (---.btinternet.com)
Date: July 25, 2001 11:40PM

<HTML>Oh god, what a fantastic book, and what a funny website. I have forgotten what I was going to say because someone is talking to me.</HTML>

Posted by: 3ducksinbelfast (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 26, 2001 07:29PM

<HTML>Good book hey! My favourite character: Mrs Nakijima. How about you?</HTML>

Fav Person
Posted by: Tamlin Roberts (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 26, 2001 10:12PM

<HTML>Jack Schitt is my favourite... Nasty, nasty....</HTML>

Fab book
Posted by: Eva (---.dialin.co.uk)
Date: July 27, 2001 09:20AM

<HTML>The book is great, the dodos are sweet and all the related websites are fab, especially denouncing people on the SpecOps website.

I went to a reading of the book by Jasper Fforde last night and he read really well and said he was half way through writing the next one!!! I'm looking forward to his next reading and I can't wait for the next book! :o)</HTML>

Re: Fab book
Posted by: Charlotte Clark (---.btinternet.com)
Date: July 29, 2001 11:29AM

<HTML>It was a brilliant book, like a cross between Jeff Noon and Douglas Adams- and my literature course actually. The dodos sold it to me initially too, who could not buy a book with a dodo on the front? I want the next one now, it hate it when that happens.</HTML>

Posted by: celerity (---.host.btclick.com)
Date: July 30, 2001 02:59PM

<HTML>yes yes yes. Finished the book yesterday and it's one of the funniest things I've ever read. I know what you mean about the humour being Douglas Adams-esque. Can't wait for book 2...that Cheshire Cat chapter was so funny. My favourite character would probably be Edward Rochester, but he's not original...Thursday, then.</HTML>

Date: July 31, 2001 04:42PM

<HTML>Has anyone else read The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson? It sort of reminded me of that in a weird kind of way. Probably something to do with the way the world seems to make perfect sense, even though it's totally bizarre.I liked Rochester best, too, although it's a close second to Thursday's dad.</HTML>

Posted by: Octavia Leigh (---.btinternet.com)
Date: August 02, 2001 07:50PM

<HTML>Yes, I read the diamond age as well- have you read Snow Crash? Same author..
But nwther of those books got me stared at in public like this one did. Word of warning- reading the Eyre Affair in a public place can cause embrassing situations to arise. I was actually asked if I was Ok- I kept bursting out laughing. I will not read it on a train again
OL</HTML>

Date: August 06, 2001 06:44PM

<HTML>Yes, I did read Snow Crash and also Cryptonomicon (sp?). V good. I also laughed a lot in public, and snorted at inappropriate moments on the train while reading the Eyre Affair. Last time that happened was probably reading Douglas Adams for the first time. Nobody actually asked me if I was all right though!
I keep seeing people reading the Eyre Affair and wanting to ask them what they think, or grab them by the elbow and go "It's good, isn't it?" This would probably not go down well, however.</HTML>

Posted by: ruby (---.5800-2.access.uk.worldonline.com)
Date: August 12, 2001 10:33AM

<HTML>Eva - is Jasper doing any more UK readings this month?</HTML>

Posted by: andy pierce (---.cvx1.telinco.net)
Date: August 28, 2001 08:55PM

<HTML>Just to add my praise for this fab book. I too picked it up without any prior knowledge and am now working as an unpayed one man advertising campaign. Is there an Eyre Affair's anonymous and if so when are the meetings? This is the only book I know of that has managed to make my home town of Oswestry sound even remotely exiting (if only for a sentence or two.)
If, like me you can't wait for the next insallment of Next, try my new game of fantasy movie casting. The book would make a superb film (as long as it was done properly an not arsed about with.) Who would be your Thursday? Landen?
Jack Schitt? Colin Firth for Rochester? Have a think! Seeya!

Andy</HTML>

Posted by: Lemming (---.freeuk.net)
Date: September 09, 2001 04:13PM

<HTML>I must add my belated praise for this book. I only bought it because it was part of a Three-for-Two offer in Waterstones - twas rubbing covers with Carol Shields and Steve Martin. I'm also doing the amateur ads amongst freinds and colleagues - yes I have got boring. Is there any truth that there is a branch of SpecOps 27 that deal with fiction addiction? If so, I need to see them.
Looking forward to the next Next.

Lemms</HTML>

Posted by: Finnegan Swake (---.cw-visp.com)
Date: September 16, 2001 11:26AM

<HTML>Just for the record, I'm not SpecOps. However, I do have a friend who *might* work for them. Anyhoo, She said that fiction addiction is not seen as a danger. After all, if it were, GoliathCorp would be the world's biggest publishers...</HTML>

Posted by: The Usual Suspect (---.iaw.on.ca)
Date: September 22, 2001 02:15AM

<HTML>I picked up a number of copies(one for me to read!) when I was in England this summer. I am a full time teacher and part-time book dealer. I specialize in bibliomysteries....The Eyre Affair qualifies wonderfully!
Jasper.....if you read any of these messages...CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I have recommended the book to every one of my customers who is a bibliomystery fanatic( most are !!!!).I would love to put my order (s?)in for the next one early.......
Anyone who would like to part with any of the photos that Jasper laid into the books...let me know! I'm trying for a full set(10)?? I've got 4 so far....and no T-shirt...where the hell do you get one of those?????
Jeff</HTML>

Posted by: John Howard (---.car.ntl.com)
Date: September 26, 2001 09:43PM

<HTML>Yet another endorsment for fab book.
Earlier comments refer to Dougals Adams similarities. I think that it has all that plus its own sharpness which make it, and Jasper, an individual voice.

Why do I feel as though I know nothing when The Usual Suspect refers to photographs. What photographs? And what's all this about T shirts.

We the readers need to know.....</HTML>

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.