New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
wouldn't it be great if...
Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: February 03, 2003 12:14PM

<HTML>on the main page of the fforum it not only told you the time of the latest post in a thread, but also who posted it? I'm forever going into threads to see who's posted the 'new' item, only to find it was me...

Any other thoughts on improving the fforum?</HTML>

Re: wouldn't it be great if...
Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: February 03, 2003 12:26PM

<HTML>H'mm, yes, I get that problem too. Especially when I've posted in a lot of threads. Perhaps if it simply flashed up "new" in a different colour if it happened to be you who posted the thread, that would help.</HTML>

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: February 03, 2003 01:59PM

<HTML>PSD's really yer fella for this kind of stuff but I wouldn't have thought it
would be too tough. It must pull the first author of a thread from the
data somehow and picking the last instead/as well shouldn't be too
tricky...</HTML>

Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: February 03, 2003 06:53PM

<HTML>I dunno about it pulling the name of the author from the therad. It looks like it might store the name of the thread and the author in one place (note the way it counts replies, but not the first post), and then keep the number of replies and the time of the last somewhere else. I guess it gets which threads you've read from a cookie. Yup, just had a look, there's 4 on my computer. The one I think that tells it which replies are new is called 'phorum-new-ThursdayNext' and contains the info 5083. This number is the number of the last reply posted anywhere on the board (I think, the number sounds about right, too high to be number of threads). This works in conjunction with the cookie, 'phorum-haveread-ThursdayNext' which contains a whole string of no.s (5083-5027 etc.) The two combined would tell the server which to mark as new and which to leave. (ie mark any 'haveread' threads larger than 'new' as , well NEW).
None of this would stand in the way of the server putting down the author of the last reply but it would have to be done at the server end. The fforum looks like it runs on php, which I know nothing about but it is good at this sort of thing, should be a fairly easy mod.</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2003 07:01PM

<HTML>Poor Jasper...it probably took him forever to find this Fforum code. Overall, it's reasonably stable, just that Old Threads link boojum and occasionally being completely locked out due to overuse. Who knows if he has the appropriate license to make those modifications or not. I don't think he/they wrote this from scratch. It was more than likely a purchased product. So changing the code may be out of the question.

That being said, perhaps one of you compu-geek types (I only do HTML!) could possibly develop something to those specs.

Just a thought!</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: February 03, 2003 10:49PM

<HTML>I only spend my time cusring computers, not doing anything useful to them. The only way to sort out the 'new' notice problem is to go back into threads as soon as you've written something. The problem I have is at uni the address of my computer changes depending on where I am - so every thread says 'new' by it.

Personally I think it'd be easiest to add a column specifying the last poster to the index, and this'd be more useful if you're waiting for a reply from a certain person.

Personally i'm still trying to understand why it boojums - I'm convinced we must be pushing it too hard in some way.</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: February 04, 2003 12:37PM

<HTML>Perhaps it can take only so much surreal humour before it flips.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.