New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Whatever Next?
Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2003 02:36AM

<HTML>Okay, the other thread was getting too long. Here's the idea:

get the specs nailed down for the Ffan Newsletter
get an email address and webspace planned
get design rolling
get submissions for content
edit content
publish newsletter

easy huh?</HTML>

Re: Whatever Next?
Date: February 04, 2003 08:17AM

<HTML>Okay, I made a logo header. Assuming Jasper will let us use his dodo image, I think this one turned out pretty well.

If you'd like to see it, check out <a href="http://www.geocities.com/jontwila/WhateverNextLogo.JPG">Whatever Next? Logo</a>

hopefully that link will work.

Please leave any comments here at the Fforum. Oh and by the way, as far as color scheme, this logo header was made for a purplish background with creamsicle titles. Whoever decides to do the HTML for this, I can give you the hexcodes for the colors so it stays uniform. I can also help out with HTML.</HTML>

Date: February 04, 2003 08:35AM

<HTML>Okay, since that one didn't work...(damn Geocities! LOL) Try this one!:
<a href="http://www.geocities.com/jontwila/whatevernext.html" target="_blank">Whatever Next? Logo page</a></HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: February 04, 2003 11:02AM

<HTML>Looks pretty cool.</HTML>

Date: February 04, 2003 11:34AM

<HTML>Erm, does this mean poeple are more after a web-based version than a print-at-home paper version? I don't see why we don't do both, to be honest. If I edit a print edition and then AAC turns it into a web version then we can leave the pdf on the website if people want to download and print, or they can read on the web. The format for both will be slightly different, as suits the media.

The idea of a small number of people all having access to the website for editing is fine, especially as we can then share out the work. I've been reading up a few reviews of free webhosts, and they all have advantages and disadvantages for what we're doing. Basically I'd rather the people who are going to wrestle with it sorted it out... (ie - Twila - go ahead and find a decent host please!)

I've sorted out an email address: <a href ="mailto:pickwickpapers2003@yahoo.co.uk">pickwickpapers2003@yahoo.co.uk</HTML>

Posted by: Vanessa (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: February 04, 2003 12:08PM

<HTML>What will the deadline be? ....like your work Cutie!</HTML>

Date: February 04, 2003 12:12PM

<HTML>okay, so wait...I'm a tad confused.

I thought we had decided we didn't want to fill up people's inboxes with an email newsletter. So if you want to do a PDF, that's cool. Maybe it can be mostly web based with the option to download the PDF for offline viewing? I think that would end up reaching more people.

I've never created a PDF myself, so I'm not sure of the logistics of adding it to the website. I think you can just stick it in as a link and most browsers can pick that up.

But if the PDF is sent to me, I can certainly put it into HTML and make it look "purdy". Shouldn't take me too long either, once we kind of nail a format of what we want it to look like. I'm working on a layout as we speak, so I can put that out there too...just a thought.

Insomnia sucks yet it can make one very productive!

As long as Geocities can do PDFs, then I don't think that would be too bad of a place to go. I'm familiar with how it all works and I've been considering adding some more space to one of my 4 sites (lol, yes, I take up a lot of room with my photos and alumni site) So if I do that, I can host it right there with no problems. And I can work it so the email gets sent to that address thru my domain name. I'll check it all out.</HTML>

Date: February 04, 2003 12:27PM

<HTML>Twial - yup - entirely what I was thinking. I can use Acrobat at work to sort out a pdf - and then I think you can just add it as another page for those with Acrobat or another reader. I think that the webversion will need pulling apart to make it more readable, there's nothing worse than a huge load of text to scroll through.

I think using a seperate address wuld be better so we don't fill up loads of space with mail - I've emailed you the details....

As for deadlines, I guess the first of each month makes the most sense, so could anybody writing anything (or stumbling across any interesting random stuff) try to get it posted to <a href="pickwickpapers2003@yahoo.co.uk">pickwickpapers2003@yahoo.co.uk</a> for the 21st of Feb?</HTML>

Date: February 04, 2003 12:39PM

<HTML>Sounds pretty cool...almost done with web layout. Just tweaking how it's supposed to look (grin)</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: February 04, 2003 12:58PM

<HTML>I like it loads!!!</HTML>

Date: February 04, 2003 01:33PM

<HTML>good news, just got confirmation from Jasper that we can use the Dodo logo...AND he sent me the covers for his new book! Guess it'll be a Whatever Next? exclusive! Whoo hoo!!</HTML>

Date: February 04, 2003 01:55PM

<HTML>Okay, here's the mockup of the new newsletter via the website. PSD will also be creating PDFs you can download to read at your leasure.

There's currently no real content on the page, so don't bother clicking anything. It's best viewed at 800x600 resolution in Exploder. Netscape doesn't take advantage of the really cool script I put in there for the PDF link. At greater resolutions, it will be fine once real content is put in and the word wrap functions correctly.

Now, <a href="http://www.geocities.com/jontwila/whatevernext.html">view the mockup</a> and be sure to hit your reload or refresh button if you've been there in the last day or so. I recycled the url!

hope ya like it!</HTML>

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: February 04, 2003 03:41PM

<HTML>That's great. Looking good.

Also, I'll help with some of the proof reading if I'm required...</HTML>

Date: February 04, 2003 03:53PM

<HTML>we now have the UK version which may be where its final home is:
<a href="http://uk.geocities.com/pickwickpapers2003/">[uk.geocities.com];

Go ahead and sign up for the email reminder. We'll email you and let you know when the newsletter's ready.

Okay, I'm going to bed now! (maybe!)</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: February 04, 2003 04:39PM

<HTML>I did, I did!
Gosh I'm excited!!!
I may even find some time to start posting here again more...

(and maybe some imagination as well?)

(and start bribing my sister for glimpses of the book when she has it ;))</HTML>

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: February 04, 2003 04:55PM

<HTML>you sister has a name and reads this site

and i take no bribes... well, maybe £500...</HTML>

Date: February 04, 2003 10:48PM

<HTML>Okay, made it easier to read. <a href="http://uk.geocities.com/pickwickpapers2003/index.html">Check it out.</a></HTML>

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: February 04, 2003 11:53PM

<HTML>I have checked it out. Clearer thanx, but the main text is still a bit of a strain.
Must log off now. Got to be up passably early tomorrow.</HTML>

Date: February 05, 2003 12:11AM

<HTML>okay, I changed the main body to white, which seems to contrast a bit better. It's tough finding a link color that will work against both the purple and orange. (this is supposed to mimic the cover from LIAGB by the way!)
<a href="http://uk.geocities.com/pickwickpapers2003/index.html">Try it Now</A>

Thanks to folks for the feedback!</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: February 05, 2003 12:35AM

<HTML>now a bit of a pain on the orange! why not setup a stylesheet to cover all the formatting tags - and define a new tag for the ones on the orange banner? Then we can have two different coloured links, which'll suit their place. Plus, with a stylesheet it's easy to format them all the same (although it rather depends on how you're editing it - I just work straight into notepad as I'm a show-off like that!)

I think all this tweaking is going to go on for quite a while...</HTML>

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.