New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Richard III
Posted by: Simon Reeve (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: February 05, 2003 12:55PM

<HTML> I hope you all realise that although Shakespeare's play about Richard III is indeed a potentially entertaining one (even when performed more conventionally than it is at in Thursday's Swindon) it's far from being historically accurate. Shakespeare altered or added various details for one reason or more out of ignorance of history, having to get past Tudor censors, and dramatic licence (Shakespeare being as unconcerned with accuracy as the average modern Hollywood scriptwriter...), so that the commonly held view of Richard _ which depends largely on Shakepeare and, largely through him, Thomas More _ is incorrect. In fact even the allegation that Richard gad his nephews murdered is far from proven... An organisation called the Richard III Society exists to promote research into the events of that period and [hopefully] set the record right. I'm a member of the Society's 'Sussex Group'.</HTML>

Re: Richard III
Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 05, 2003 04:25PM

<HTML>This is all very true (FAGVOT) ... but where's the society to defend the reputation of Macbeth, eh?</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah H Egginton (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: February 05, 2003 06:43PM

<HTML>FAGVOT = for a given value of true?</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: February 05, 2003 11:54PM

<HTML>Correct. for a given value....

I would join the Macbeth appreciation society, indeed start it, but I have feeling that things are going to get busy for me very soon...</HTML>

Posted by: Harley (202.147.108.---)
Date: February 06, 2003 05:46AM

<HTML>yeh start the macbeth appreciation society im all for one......</HTML>

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: February 08, 2003 01:44PM

A 'Macbeth Anti-defamation Society'? Why not? Perhaps one of the fforum's Scottish members (assuming that it has any) would care to start this up?

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: February 08, 2003 03:01PM

<em>Wonders idly if HTML still works and adopts comedy Scottish accent and dodgy red wig in the style of MacAdder...</em>

Hoots mon, you'll nae find a Scotsman with a bad wurrd aboot yon man Macbeth, he had nae choice but tae remove Duncan after he launched his donut franchise, ye ken? And after all that, he was replaced by somebody sponsored by a beer company! Nae, really, originlly he was MacSquirgle, and then he was tempted having seen the beer on the Simpsons, ye ken?

But seriously, the thing aboot yon man was that the clan system picked the best man for the job, and if he happened to be a psychopath with a handy line in talking to mad old wimmin, that's his lookout, ye ken. There was nae such thing as the hered-, herided-, heredit-, principle of getting what yer father had, ye ken, so topping the previous chief was just an early version of democracy - one man, one sword, ye ken?

And as fer Gruouch, all she had was the misortune to be named when her mother had a nasty touch of the flu, ye ken? And a dislike of cartoon dogs lying aboot the place...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.