New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Forum
Posted by: jackshit (---.man.dial.ntli.net)
Date: February 08, 2003 01:33PM

Hello and Welcome to the updated forum!

Due to changes in the law regarding anonymous posts on websites available to the under-18s, everyone has to have a login password. No problem - if you don't have one then just click the 'need a login? register here' line at the top of the login page.

The new forum gives me the option to add new forums which I may do as the reason the old one crashed every now and again was because we had over 5000 posts in 370 threads - all in one forum. Subdivsions will probably be : TN-1, TN-2, TN-3, WhateverNext, etc - suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks for bearing with me on this, guys - and if you have any forum nigglettes, then send them to me at jasper@jasperfforde.com

Hoorah!

Jasper

Re: New Forum
Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: February 08, 2003 02:20PM

Woohoo! My days have been unhappily productive recently, now my volume of work can drop back off.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: February 08, 2003 02:48PM

Seconded - and is there any way of finding out how many of those 5,000 were mine? Probably way too many...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: February 08, 2003 03:29PM

And for anyone wanting an explanation for Mr Ff's wassname - look here:

[www.quinion.com]

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.telepac.pt)
Date: February 08, 2003 04:33PM

YAY!!!!!
A new forum, a new life :D

Now we just need to hold our breaths (or post much lol) until July ;)

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: February 08, 2003 04:46PM

Muggins here went and e-mailed Mr Fforde in a panic this morning owing to inability to log in. (To be fair, that was before this thread was posted.) I can be very stupid sometimes for an intelligent person... sorry, Mr Ff, as you see I'm all right now...

Date: February 08, 2003 04:49PM

Am I the only person to have bothered putting a pic on my details?

I quite like having people's details available. Put up your MSN details at your peril...

Post Edited (02-08-03 18:28)

PSD

==========

Date: February 08, 2003 04:55PM

I might if I had a clue how to do it.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: February 08, 2003 05:03PM

Quick guide:

1: Search the web for a good picture (google images is pretty useful) and copy the url of the picture (hint - it should have a .gif extension, normally - you need to get just the picture showing - try right click and select 'view picture')

2: On the fforum, click on 'My Profile' at the bottom of one of your posts or the bottom of the index page

3: Then click 'Edit Profile'

4: Finally, in the box marked 'Image URL' paste the url of your desired picture.

Then whenever somebody clicks on your details, they can see what you'd like to look like... Unfortunately there's no way to have an avatar by your posts, but nevermind.

One thing we do need is a way to format text - I can't emphasise things! (And all the old HTMLing is now readable, which is entertaining, especially those damned rainbows...)

Post Edited (02-08-03 18:12)

PSD

==========

Date: February 08, 2003 05:04PM

I do like the way you can edit posts though, especially useful with my typing skills. And I can also see who posts most, should I get sufficiently bored!

PSD

==========

Date: February 08, 2003 05:11PM

And it no longer says 'new' after one of your own posts! Proper job!

PSD

==========

Date: February 08, 2003 05:15PM

Although every time i post a reply, all the post's come up as new, so I have to reload the page to get back to normal, anyone else have the same niggle?

Date: February 08, 2003 05:17PM

nope

(smug face)

Although I've found that I had to log in via the link at the top of the index to stay in, otherwise I got kicked out. I've also found that if I click on 'home' (yes, I really am sad enough to have this set as my home) then anything posted since I last clicked on 'mark all read' (including by me) suddenly becomes new, even if I've read them all.

Post Edited (02-08-03 18:26)

PSD

==========

Date: February 08, 2003 05:27PM

Well, I just decided to have a look for a proper avatar and took you'r advice and tried google inmage search.
lol
just try typing 'fuzz' and see what sor of crazy stuff comes up.

Date: February 08, 2003 05:47PM

I don't do avatars. But I do have a very nice little picture of myself wearing a floral suit and a straw hat, grinning from ear to ear, and holding Wilfred. I could use that... except it's in the picture file on my computer. Does that make it any more difficult?

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: February 08, 2003 05:50PM

Fuzz:

Depends how you set the filter up....

Erm, just had a look, and it didn't like it. You need to have the picture in isolation rather than a webpage - I can't get the picture I wanted onto it as I couldn't get the url just for the picture.

Sarah:

Yup, it makes it a whole lot harder! It needs to have a URL to chase - so see if you can't bung it onto somebody's website (it doesn't have to be visible there, just in the smae folders so this server can pick it up)

Post Edited (02-08-03 18:53)

PSD

==========

Posted by: Anonymous User (193.114.111.---)
Date: February 08, 2003 06:17PM

Hurray! Welcome back to the fforum. Was going into withdrawal. I like the look of the new page BTW

& a big yay! for the editing facility. I only spot spelling transpositions After they've gone into public view ~

Post Edited (02-08-03 19:18)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2003 07:36PM

Glad it's back. I think I was going through withdrawl. (Just how sad is THAT!?) And of course, it happens on the 2 days my husband has to work 18 hour days and I'm all by my lonesome...

feeling sorry for me yet? (big grin) Me either!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2003 07:55PM

>>Fuzz says: Although every time i post a reply, all the post's come up as new, so I have to reload the page to get back to normal, anyone else have the same niggle?

Yes, I have the same prob! So I just hit the Fforum link on my Netscape toolbar (it's so sad I've got that on there!) But it is still a pain. But not much different from how it was on the old Fforum where it always showed the post you just did as a new one. Go figure. Nothing's perfect!

Date: February 09, 2003 02:01AM

I am! Well, for a given value etc etc

(pulls a modest looking face and hopes to get away with it...)

PSD

==========

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.