New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: New Forum
Posted by: Sarah B (---.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: February 09, 2003 08:31PM

Howdy hey!

Good to be here on this nice pretty new fforum. I panicked rather a lot when the old one disappeared for a while, so it's good to see it back!

Talk soon then,
Me.

Oh, and Mildred wants to say hi. She's my dyslexic dodo, so don't mind her if she gets a bit confusing at times... or confused... or both...

"Ploik!"

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: February 09, 2003 08:56PM

'Ploik' - is this the name for some kind of common dodo? Or the call of a posh one...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: February 09, 2003 09:29PM

curious. Why is it now the phorum? I preferred Fforum.

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.telepac.pt)
Date: February 09, 2003 10:37PM

I prefered fforum too :(

(not complaining, though, it's the only thing I like less)

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: February 09, 2003 11:17PM

phorum is the open-source coding that should run this without too many boojums. I think the fforum was on it before, but an older version. I'm sure I saw 'phorum' turning up on the url.

Click on the link below (bright orange, at the bottom of the page) and be transported to the place where the FAQ reveals the issue that is new messages gnerating 'Error getting next, Val.' Evidently the fforum is now run by gnomes, one of whom is called Valerie, and who are employed by Goliath.

Or something...

Reading further (geek alert) there's also a problem with '$cutoff', which makes it kinda like my bank account, and the curious idea of 'If someone wanted to display more than 800 messages on a page, they would need to up this'. Now, even by the curiously inflated threads of the fforum (and honestly, have you ever seen another board like it? When I'm not there?) I can't help but think this is a wildly optimistic target...

(PSD - king of the geeks)

--------------------------------------------

PS: The gnome idea also reminds me of a pun from Dangermouse worthy of the master himself:

Dangermouse and Penfold walk past a row of traffic cones at the end of another succesful mission, and Penfold says Bigfoot must have been really annoyed to hammer those gnomes into the ground. Dangermouse scoffs at this, but after they pass (don't you just know this is an over-complicated set up for an appalling pun?) one of them lifts up with a gnome underneath it who says 'shows what he knows' in a French accent (bear with me, we get to the joke in a moment). Th enarrator then asks us to bid goodbye to Canada, and its French underground gnomes (can you guess what they were yet?) - metronomes....

Oh how I laughed....

Post Edited (02-10-03 00:30)

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: February 10, 2003 10:05PM

Wilfred says hic to Mildred. Sounds as though they ought to get on famously - he's just the same himself!

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Sarah B (---.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: February 11, 2003 08:11PM

Mildred says helol back.

Ploik, since you asked, is what Mildred has taken to saying. She says there's no point in being different unless people *know* you're different.
Well, she actually said there's no point being diffident, but I'm sure that wasn't what she meant.

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.