New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Nextaholics Anonymous
Posted by: jon brierley (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: October 18, 2002 09:02AM

<HTML>Re: the Holt plague - couldn't have put it better myself. And as for characterization....well, we all *know* Thursday, don't we? You can't know any of Holt's paper-thin "characters".

I tend to agree a bit about Pratchett and the issues...to me he hit his peak with Soul Music. But even his troughs are higher than most people's peaks, which when you read as much as I do is something to be profoundly grateful for!</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.nv.iinet.net.au)
Date: October 21, 2002 11:32AM

<HTML>Hello, my name is Ooktavia, and I am a Nextoholic. Currently suffering extremely severe withdrawal symptoms as I'm Perth,. Western Australia, and my copy of TEA is in Hackney, UK, *and* I do not, being an impoverished backpacker, have the wherewithal, or money to buy LIAGB. Damn it. I shall have to take up that postistion as a "erotic performer" advertised on the jobs board. They have already told me I am too ugly to be a bikini wearing barmaid..........
I shall have to resort to crime!!!!! Or something. I know I can get a copy of LIAGB if I go to sydney, all I need is the airfare. I WILL find a way.

Tai</HTML>

Posted by: jon brierley (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: October 21, 2002 12:37PM

<HTML>They don't have LIAGB in Perth? Quick, unpack the parachutes - this sounds like a job for Nextforce (motto; Bringing Light to the Darkness).

PS - you're another Pratchett fan, aren't you, I can tell.....(my mother was a librarian, but rarely said 'ook').</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: October 21, 2002 01:02PM

<HTML>Hey Octavia :)

How come your TEA is in the UK? Are you australian or english, after all?
I never got to reply to your mail eek sorry!</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: October 21, 2002 06:34PM

<HTML>On the librarian theme, I used to date a librarian who had long ginger hair.

Boy did she suffer...</HTML>

Date: October 22, 2002 09:37AM

<HTML>I am English, but am in Oz, as a backpacker. And a telemarketer (cursed species that we are)
So not only do I have plenty of leisure time, but *ALL* the s*dding books here are (a) Jackie collins/clones of same or (b) Tom Clancy/lones ditto. There's only so much literary Mcdonalds you can consume before you need gourmet reads. And I have very little money so's I cant order it from Sydney. Dammit. By the way, the erotic perfomer job advertised, turned out to be stripping etc for peepshows. Much as I love TEA and would like to read LIAGB, I can last without them a little longer.......
I used to be a librarian, as well as a TP fan, how perspicious of you! (I can't spell that word but I don't care) I worked in the institute of petroluem in London, and a more boring place is hard to imagine, unless you like crude oil in a strange and deviant way.
Ah well. Someone has left behind a copy of "Mansfield Park." It will suffice. For now.......</HTML>

Date: October 22, 2002 12:00PM

<HTML>I never realised how that backpacking all over the world business worked... don't you need tons of money for that? I check my money just for a short trip in europe...
Maybe explain in a mail lol, we don't want to bore the others in here

A suggestion for your books issue: apparently you're staying in Perth for a while, can't you join the local library or something? That way you can read some more varied stuff ehehe, and maybe even convince them to store Jasper there :D</HTML>

Date: October 22, 2002 06:48PM

<HTML>Questions: Backpacker + Pommie + Telemarketer + librarian

My God, how many prejudices do you want to suffer?????

What other sense of 'erotic performer' exists? And do you have an audition tape ;-)
(only joking)

Nothing wrong with Tom Clancy - the paper's quite soft and the books are longer than most loo rolls...

Can you tell I've been backpacking in some horrible places?</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.telepac.pt)
Date: October 22, 2002 09:14PM

<HTML>lol Ben, you're incorrigible! Are you hitting on Octavia? (I thought I was LOL)</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: October 23, 2002 08:56AM

<HTML>hey, I used to *be* a librarian with long(ish) ginger hair....

And you said you'd call. Sniff.

:-)</HTML>

Date: October 23, 2002 08:59AM

<HTML>lol I'm sure the 'call' thing is a joke, but I can't find the reference ehehehe

I like ginger hair :)</HTML>

Date: October 23, 2002 09:46AM

<HTML>The other kind of erotic performer would be a dancer, lap, pole or whatever.....
As for prejudices- I have also been a headhunter and worked in the City.....
I'm just building up a hell of a lot of bad karma here.
Apart from being a pom, which I can't help and I am not ashamed of. Isn't Thursday herself a pom???
No audtion tape exists, they told me I "was not the type" and that basically means, "too ugly" or "tits too small".........
gotta run. Someone has put free bread out in the kitchen!!!</HTML>

Date: October 23, 2002 10:14AM

<HTML>what is a pom????

I like headhunters, they gave me many opportunities in the past :D</HTML>

Date: October 25, 2002 11:10AM

<HTML>Pom= English person, especially if the person describing them is Australian.
Headhunting wasn't fun, as I was not allowed to keep the heads I found......</HTML>

Date: October 25, 2002 07:54PM

<HTML>Not even if you got them properly cleaned and taxidermed?

///////////////////////////

(hehe - "The all NEW system from Le Surgeon de Laboratoire Ooktavia - with new taxidermological addtiitves! Yes, our highly trained technicians use the latest in neogenic life ceasation technology to stop aging - almost painlessly! And all with just one application!

Our revolutionary process has three stages:

1: The skin is first prepared by inhaling a gaseoous mixture designed to lower your heartbeat to a level where you are no longer alive! And if you're not living, you're not aging!

2: Next, our carefully trained chainsaw operative removes the top 1/7th of your body - instant weightloss is all part of the advantage sof our new system!

3: Finally one of our taxidermological consultants removes all the mushy insides that have been proved by research to lead to the mysterious maturing process known as 'thinking' and replaces them with sawdust. Finally your face will receive a good coat of varnish and be mounted on a plaque!

None of our customers have ever complained! So why not try it today?)

//////////////////////////////////////

Shame about no tape- make one anyways, send it to us and we can discuss whether you weren't the type or, er, other reasons.

Maybe you should ahve changed your name to 'Busty Melons' or something....</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah H Egginton (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 01, 2002 04:25PM

<HTML>Hallo, my name's Sarah and I'm a Nextaholic. I blame my friend Gillian. Actually I have two friends called Gillian, and the other one's known as Sane Gillian, so draw your own conclusions. Anyway, Gillian leapt up and down excitedly waving a purple paperback with a mammoth on the cover and saying, "You must borrow this - you'll love it!" So I did, and, very ill-advisedly, I started reading it on the tram. By some miracle I managed not to miss my stop, but I continued to read while walking home. Then I got myself something to eat, still reading. It got to 7.45 pm, so I put Radio 5 Live on as usual for the football... and have absolutely no idea what happened because I was too engrossed in the book to take in a single kick. Anyone who knows me will realise that is unprecedented and shocking. I finally finished nearly an hour after I normally go to bed (I'm not a night owl). Gillian was right.

Having returned LIAGB to Gillian, I then just had to get my own copy, not to mention TEA; to my great delight, they were offered as a set through my book club at a reduced price, so I ordered them post-haste. They arrived yesterday morning. I haven't been able to start TEA yet because I've had my sister here this weekend, but as soon as I get the chance, everything will stop for TEA. (Sorry!)

Now I've found the Fforum, realised that everyone else here is as crazy as I am, and my immediate thought was: I have come home. This is a lunatic asylum, but it is _my_ kind of lunatic asylum. My cat Minsky also thinks it's a wonderful place, but then Minsky's a cat and they have entirely different ideas about sanity. Just ask the UA of W Cat. ;-)

Do I need help? Your call, I think. But it's a great deal better than being depressed, which is what I was shortly before I discovered Jasper Fforde. I'm still on the Prozac, but I have definitely turned the corner (or gone round the bend, depending how you look at it). Oh, and just for reference, I am a big fan of Terry Pratchett (my favourite of his books is "Reaper Man"), and I read one book by Tom Holt in the hope of alleviating the depression, because I'd been told it was funny. Errr, no. I shan't be buying another one. I could write better myself.

Oh, and anyone who wants me to do erotic dancing will have to persuade me to marry him first. ;-) Just so you know!</HTML>

Date: December 01, 2002 11:06PM

<HTML>I'll bear it in mind, but I'm currently off net based relationships after meeting a right bunny boiler.

I knew it wouldn't work when I spotted a copy of TEA in her house and she hadn't read it....</HTML>

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.