New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Nextaholics Anonymous
Posted by: Kathryn Ivany (---.ed.shawcable.net)
Date: September 17, 2002 04:23PM

<HTML>Okay, I'll take a Canadian micro-brewery product over anything American - I'd love a pint of anything on tap in Britain except whatever Thursday was drinking in Swindon. That sounded vile.

Kathryn</HTML>

Posted by: Cilantro (---.ph.inter.net)
Date: September 18, 2002 01:53PM

<HTML>Since this is anonymous Im not going to tell you my name. =)

Ive always been an avid reader. A thirst that was somehow predictably quenched after a semester or two in college where I HAD to read about math and other horrid subjects. In the years since graduating Ive gradually gained back my love for books.

And I don't know that I qualify as a Nextaholic cuz it was just an accident that a friend lent me her paperback of LIAGB and I didn't have a clue as to what I was getting into. I've only read it once (last week) and I didn't understand half of it actually, but it somehow sucked me in.

The whole world that Fforde creates with all the people and animals and what have yous from all different centuries and .... its a wonder he can even keep track of it all himself. Miniature mastadons in 1985? And how does the whole entropy thing really work, anyway? Does anyone know how old Thursday really is? And do you think her pregnancy will be affected by all of her extracurriular activities?

So whats the deal with lack of books in the US and having to order from Britain? Im in the Philippines and I assume my friend got her book here.

P.S. I just have to say the C.S. Lewis will NEVER be topped.

Cilantro (oops)</HTML>

Posted by: Incognito (---.wellington-college.berks.sch.uk)
Date: September 20, 2002 05:22PM

<HTML>Hi, I'm >deleted by censors< and I am a fully fledged Nextaholic. I've infected 7 (at the last count) unfortunate persons with this literary disease, but they all seem perfectly happy. I've asked all the stupid questions and made all the stupid comments that everyone makes, that being what makes this site so fun. Due to some bizarre timewarping, i got the first book two weeks before its publishing date, and it wasn't a signed copy. I've footnoterphoned Jurisfiction and SO-12, and they say it's nowt to do with them. I'm really confused about 1985, but loving every minute of it.</HTML>

Posted by: Bea (---.telepac.pt)
Date: September 20, 2002 08:35PM

<HTML>Hi Sam, and welcome to the Nextaholics ;)

(yes, we do know everything LOL - me and Ben are the craziest... - where is Dave btw??? - dont get near us if you dont want to get contaminated... Jasoer himself sold the rights to our story to tv ;))</HTML>

Posted by: Bea (---.telepac.pt)
Date: September 20, 2002 08:39PM

<HTML>eeeeeeek!!!!!!

'p-eating-virus' are at large... sorry sorry sorry</HTML>

Posted by: duncan conner (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: September 27, 2002 11:01PM

<HTML>I want to join Nextaholics anon since Ive fallen in love with Thursday after 33 years of marriage to Rosiland her time is up! Sell the house 2 cars motorbike and season ticket to the Wolves(English Soccer team for our American friends] Im Thursdays from now on may Landen never be found!</HTML>

Posted by: Melanie (---.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: October 10, 2002 12:12PM

<HTML>Hi, I'm Melanie and I'm a nextaholic (and also a newbie!). I live in Brisbane (Australia) and I saw Jasper Fforde at the Writer's Festival last week. (I was, in fact, there for a meeting with book-lovers from another message board. *waves hi in case of any other COers*). Anyway, I ran right off to buy TEA, read it, loved it, and had to go out the next day to buy LIAGB. I don't know how I'll cope waiting for the next one...so expect to see a bit of me around! I tend to become addicted to authors who take forever to write (JK Rowling, Isobelle Carmody,...) so I may be the kiss of death.
Ah, Enid Blyton. Good procrastination tool :) Hey, I'm 19 - I can reread as many kid's books as I like!

So, yeah. I'm off to force my brother to finish LIAGB so I can reread. Ok, so I only bought it yesterday!

*takes a breath and calms down*</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: October 11, 2002 06:39PM

<HTML>That is seriously hyperactive.

After me: One, two, three, pause... and breathe in and relax.

Believe me, after your family you'll start pestering all your friends to read the books as well. And as for reading 'kids books' - as long as you haven't actually mugged any kids to get hold of them I'm sure nobody will mind...</HTML>

Posted by: Mark (---.otago.ac.nz)
Date: October 14, 2002 05:53AM

<HTML>My name is mark, and I am a nextaholic. It began some months ago, when EA appeared in my room, a gift from an anonymous benefactor. I read it 4 times on the trot. Then I slept for a day or two, and dreamed of sequels. Many sequels, many many many. A gothic sequel featuring Spike in more than a single chapter. A sequel devoted entirely to re-engineered species, sequenced at home. I dreamed of my own v1.2 dodo, I dreamed of the car, I dreamed dreams where I fire rockets at suspicious looking dark coloured packards. Dreamed dreams of the poems of Poe, and Edward Rochester being big and manly. I dreamed dreams of Cordelia Flakk in garish outfits. I purcheased LIAGB 46 1/4 hrs ago, and have read it thrice since. My girlfriend has noticed a loss in my libido, unless she dresses like thursday, and calls me Landen. It's tragic, and sad, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Do I need help?

Oh God! I read because I hate myself and I hate myself becasue I read! Will the vicious cycle never end.

PS- Very nice site.</HTML>

Date: October 14, 2002 06:13PM

<HTML>Do you need help? Are bears catholic? Is there an arboreal nature to the Pope's lavatorial arrangements?

Actually all you need is Nextaholics Anonymous, a vividily painted Porsche, a one-way ticket to Swindon and load of weird stuff on-line here to fill in the time till the 'Well of Lost Plots' is released.

Re: the 'girlfriend' - have you considered forcing her to read the books? You might end up having to alternate between fantasies if you aren't careful... (btw it happens to all of us - I've nicknamed one of my friends 'Pickwick' 'cause she's cute and has a habit of sleeping in confined spaces such as an airing cupboard)</HTML>

Posted by: Emma (---.wc.optusnet.com.au)
Date: October 16, 2002 03:32AM

<HTML>i have something awful to confess. to start at the start, hi my name is emma, i'm a nextaholic, live in australia blah blah blah.

but back to my confession. i had the chance (cringe) to meet (blush) the man himself (help!) a certain mr jasper (kill me now) fforde (oh god) AND I BLOODY DIDN'T GO.

does that automatically disqualify me from joining NA?</HTML>

Posted by: jon brierley (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: October 16, 2002 01:04PM

<HTML>this is indeed a terrible confession....the only possible atonement for so wretched a sin of omission is to send me large quantities of money AT ONCE.

all right, it won't actually help you any, but it'll make me feel better, and that's the main thing, isn't it?</HTML>

Date: October 16, 2002 10:22PM

<HTML>Ah - yen budhism. The belief that as money is the root of all evil the safest thing to do for people's souls is to remove their money for them, at great personal risk.

And yes, I nicked this idea from somewhere else.

And as my bank manager will testify I wasn't very good at following the path of yen buddhism.</HTML>

Date: October 17, 2002 08:32AM

<HTML>Comrades, I do believe we have uncovered a mole within our midst...PSD stands revealed as a secret Pratchettite.

(The phrase 'takes one to know one' might be employed here.)</HTML>

Posted by: Emma (---.wc.optusnet.com.au)
Date: October 17, 2002 08:36AM

<HTML>what does the D stand for then?</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: October 17, 2002 11:39AM

<HTML>well, I do like TP too ;)</HTML>

Date: October 17, 2002 12:21PM

<HTML>Emma asks what the D stands for...assuming she means the D in PSD I was using a jocular abbreviation for PoetScientistDrinker.....hope that clears up any antipodean confusion there.....

And so Bea is a TP person too!...alright, I can come clean, I am in fact a long-standing Pratchettite myself, and, hey, there's nothing wrong with that. We of the Next are cool about people's lifestyle choices, with the exception of Tom Holt fans. After the nasty review the said Holt gave to TEA, liking his rotten books might provoke a heresy and stake situation.....(see [www.jasperfforde.com] for text of said review).

Jon, (who is slightly jealous cos he doesn't live in places with better weather, like, oooh, Portugal or Australia, for instance)</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: October 17, 2002 01:22PM

<HTML>Well, I'm not a 'long standing' TP, in fact I only started some months ago on the advise of a friend, and only have 6 of his books (I'm buying them in order).

Anyway, TP said he was scared of our Jasper :D

Jon, ok, you can come here today coz it's sunny, but believe me, there has been rain here since the beginning of September, non-stop :(</HTML>

Date: October 17, 2002 01:36PM

<HTML>Nervous, he said, nervous, not scared......and I'm even more jealous now cos you've got all those TP books to read yet, and I have to wait another fortnight til the next one's out....curses curses

I don't mind rain...it's that bleedin' awful cold wind I hate...up here in t'Pennines we call it a lazy wind, cos it's too idle to go round you and just cuts straight through.

And I had to get up at 7 this morning and wait for the bus grumble grumble moan drone.....(eats Pringles to cheer self up)</HTML>

Date: October 17, 2002 11:52PM

<HTML>Er, I've gone off Pratchett quite a bit from my peak. Somewhere about the point he seemed to discover 'issues'.

does that make me shallow?

Plus I'm not entirely sure that Mr Holt ought to be drawing too much attention to plots that actually make momentary sense, if you know what I mean...

Note for Mr Fforde: Tom Holt is the pretentious man's Terry Pratchett, and not terribly funny with it. Imagine Pratchett written by the ancient Greeks, but without the interesting sexual preferences. Or humour. Or other redeeming features.

As for silly names: Dermot Fraud? Artofel? Arsed? Master del Razo?* I've got a nice black kettle here, wants to speak to a Mr Pot...

*Random names picked from pages of "Only Human" by Mr Holt.</HTML>

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.