New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The Order of Reading
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.range81-155.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 07, 2005 05:52PM

Hi! I'm new to this forum, but I happened to see a couple of the Thursday Next books on display in my local bookshop last week, and was very tempted to purchase one of them, but wasn't sure which to start with and if it mattered what order you read them in. I would very grateful if you could give me the order in which you are supposed to read the books.

Thanks

Re: The Order of Reading
Posted by: Andrea (---.range86-128.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 07, 2005 08:30PM

I'd say start at the beginning with The Eyre Affaire, they do follow on

hope you enjoy :-)

---
Sylvester says.... *plock*

actually he says peep, cheep, chirrup, squalk,muttermuttergrumblegrumble, oh and now he falls off his pirch whish is followed by a sheepish peek round to see if anyone was looking and a quick scramble back up

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: August 08, 2005 12:28AM

The Eyre Affair
Lost in a Good Book
The Well of Lost Plots
Something Rotten

That is the order, enjoy reading the books!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.welsh-ofce.gov.uk)
Date: August 08, 2005 09:03AM

.... and once you've come that far and have serious withdrawal symptons (which you will have, I guarantee), read The Big Over Easy. Not exactly in the same series, but definitely in the same spirit!

Posted by: robert (---.mit.csu.edu.au)
Date: August 16, 2005 03:17AM

I thought the Order of Reading might be something like the Order of the Thistle.
Sorry. Having got that out of my system...

The sensible advice would be to follow the order of publication as suggested.
I accidently started with "Lost in..." and went back to "Eyre Affair" which certainly didn't harm the enjoyment of either but caused some "Oh, so that's what he did!" and "Ahha, now I understand.." type moments as I read "Eyre Affair".
These moments of small discovery were actually quite pleasurable side-effects which I wouldn't otherwise have experienced.
On a moot point, if the order of publication had followed Fforde's order of writing, then the advice would be to read BOE first!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2005 02:39AM

...especially because Reading is, like, a town...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.uk.logicacmg.com)
Date: September 30, 2005 12:14PM

I actually started with Lost In A Good Book, jumped back to Eyre, then jumped forward to The Well, without upsetting the flow of things too much.

Erm...does this qualify as book jumping? Do I qualify to now work at jurisfiction?

LG

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: October 13, 2005 03:01AM

"does this qualify as book jumping?"

Well, it depends on how well you can describe Mrs. MacGregor's kitchen in Peter Rabbit.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 11:02PM

My first encounter with the series was when I saw Lost in a Good Book on the dollar table (just kidding) in a large bookstore chain and almost didn't buy it because I thought it was just another spiritual/religious/self-help book possibly concerning the Bible ... until the name Jasper caught my eye and I bought it! Unfortunately, I had to physically tear myself away from the hysterical first pages of the Good Book because I realized it was from a series and fearing I would be truly lost in the Good Book, I decided to begin in the beginning.

Oh, yes, I definitely recommend reading the series in order, series-ously. :)

Posted by: vampire (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 14, 2006 07:36AM

I admit, I've still only read the first two, and it's been a dreadfully long time since then. . . .I'll get back to them soon, I swear! Just gotta finish "The Picture of Dorian Gray" first. . . . Anyone willing to share an opinion on that particular work of art? I love it, so far, but what's with the ten pages on obscure musical instuments, historical jewelry, and lost tapestries?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You wants it? How Gollum-esque!

Posted by: vampire (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 17, 2006 02:36AM

Ok, I finished it . . . . And I still haven't gotten back to Thursday. Damn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You wants it? How Gollum-esque!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.