New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Outlanders and self-reference
Posted by: Puck (---.sfldmidn.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 04:24PM

Here are some things that I think are interesting about TN and the bookworld:

If Thursday is a literary character herself, why does being an Outlander make her different from the other characters she encounters?
Is it because she can bookjump without leaving her own book (as we, her readers, can obviously see)?
Or because the Nextian Universe contains the Library (the building, that is, if not the books in it)?

Why do book characters have no sense of smell?
Scents in books are not really as rare as one might think; there is at least one Sherlock Holmes case in which the smell of fresh paint is an important clue, as well as references in imagery and setting descriptions.
(The joke about tongue twisters does work, though)

Does Thursday have adventures outside of the TN books that we just don't hear about (The Great Samuel Pepys Fiasco, perhaps)?

I hope we find out more about the nature of Thursday's reality in later books!

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Re: Outlanders and self-reference
Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: October 31, 2005 12:38PM

Hmmm, it's still left undisclosed whether she is fictional or not. It's possible the "outland" is just an odd area in the library where people don't tend to visit, and is different.

Re: sense of smell. I think it's more that they don't generally smell things, except when it's necessary to the plot.

And I heard Samuel Pepys was going to be written as occuring between WOLP & SR

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Posted by: Puck (---.brmngh01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2005 08:58PM

Barefoot Andy wrote:
> And I heard Samuel Pepys was going to be written as occuring
> between WOLP & SR

I certainly hope so! As of now, however, that adventure exists only in the Well and not in any of the TN books, so Thursday can be truly said to have had an adventure outside of her book. (I myself wonder more about the ones she never tells us about!)

Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 02, 2005 09:37PM

"Zhark, Emperor. The Emperor Zhark is the undisputed star of the 'Zharkian Empire' series of SF novels, written and published in the seventies. Zhark himself is a Jurisfiction agent, and when not dominating the galaxy with extreme violence and riding roughshod over the rights of millions of peaceful lifeforms on a thousand star-systems, he is partnered with Jurisfiction agent Mrs Tiggy-Winkle. Full agent from 1986,.........................>>> Zhark was partnered with Thursday Next during The Great Samuel Pepys Fiasco of 1987. He now runs the SF policing agency with Gully Foyle.

Note: The "Galactic Cleansing" policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal vision of the Emperor's, and his inclusion in this book does not constitute tacit approval by Jurisfiction or The Council of Genres for any such projects, howsoever undertaken."

---From Jurisfiction page of the website

Post Edited (11-04-05 15:41)

Posted by: Branfish (---.cable.ubr07.azte.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: November 05, 2005 06:41AM

Does anybody else find that this thread keeps disappearing? It's here when I first enter the "Thursday Next" section, but if I go into another thread, this one is gone when I come back out again. It this just occurring to me?

"We are born alone, and we die alone. In between, how about a drink?"
~ Mr. Nutty

Posted by: Nicky (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 01:48PM

Yup, just you.

*This message brought to you by the voices in your head. And, yes, they are actually in there.*

Posted by: megs (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: November 05, 2005 11:26PM

This fforum's doing odd things to me too, Branfish. Nothing disappears for me, though, every thread just decides to go into some random order and the only way to see what's new other than sorting through the dates is the little red new tags. Then again, sometimes they decide to not be there as well. I think the thread that is the 'newest' is from about July. Hmmmm. I smell a rat.

Posted by: robert (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 09:14PM

That really is alarming. Sometimes the dates are out of order on mine but there aren't any smells coming through yet.

Posted by: megs (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: November 06, 2005 09:18PM

It could have at least smelt nice, but no, it had to be a rat....
Damn technology. I'm beginning to hate it.... it stops me studying AND it stuffs up. Not a good combination.

Date: November 07, 2005 07:29PM

Branfish, it keeps disappearing on me too when I come out of another thread. I find that by hitting "Back" I can get back to a list where it is still displayed, although then the red "new" flags also reappear on threads I've already checked.

Metaphors be with you!

Date: November 07, 2005 08:28PM

Hitting "newer messages" at the bottom also works.

Metaphors be with you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.