New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Thursday the author and Thursday the protagonist
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.essex.ac.uk)
Date: November 26, 2005 04:35PM

Hey all, first time - woo!

I got myself in real tangles over this last night, so any enlightenment would be marvellous.

I read in Jasper's making of stuff that he imagined Thursday writing her own books whilst in the nursing home. My question is that as Thursday is an author, is there a generic somewhere who has been trained to be Thursday (assuuming the books have been published)?

Part of me wonders if autobiography would come under non-fiction, and considering we don't know that much about non-fiction than what we've gleaned from the washing machine instruction guy (he was fun :-D) I might just be jumping the gun. Do generics get trained to recite non-fiction? I'm confused.

Re: Thursday the author and Thursday the protagonist
Posted by: robert (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 10:11PM

That's interesting.
We also have to consider that the books are published in languages other than English so that, either:

Thursday is multilingual, or;
Generics are used in the non-English editions.

Posted by: Puck (---.sfldmidn.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 10:53PM

I theorize multiple parallel universes.

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: Unbound Element (---.dsl.sfldmi.ameritech.net)
Date: February 11, 2006 10:11PM

I think generics did end up reciting (or acting, or whatever it is they do) her story in biographies. If you read the extra chapter in WOLP (I'm american, so it came included for me) they talk about having a biography commisioned just so they could have a generic trained to act like the man and have his expertise to aid them in Jurisfiction.

Unless I remember it wrong and made all that up, in which case I can and should be disregarded.

---
Um? Game?

Posted by: literaryloser (---.sktn.hsdb.sasknet.sk.ca)
Date: May 25, 2006 05:42AM

I'm lost to, I think it's like making a copy of her by writing her autobiography, because if theres a book version of her exactly like her she can go back to the outland no problem because the copy of her in the biography can't leave, well it can but why would it...its a copy of Thursday, it knows better. Anyway I think it makes sense atleast for a book like this it sure does, but I have no idea if it would be considered fiction. I don't know if instructions are non-fiction really so I don't know if the washing machine guy is relavent. I think it will work...maybe JFF will tell us is Something Rotten.

SpecOps-27 Wordage is our business Grammar is our game.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.