New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Cross-genre deja-vu
Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: December 09, 2005 05:47PM

I just had a strange encounter on my TV box. I was wasting time with an episode of "Starship Voyager" called "Timeship 'Relativity'". (I hope that conforms with the original english title. It was on german television and, obviously, translated.) The theme of that episode, originally from 2000, I think, was a temporal paradoxon on bord of the Voyager. It has to be resolved by a time-guarding police the Federation has established 500 years in the future.

So far, this would be common SciFi themes. Hey, they didn't even call them "Chronoguard". But then, the Commander of the Timeship was revealed as having the name Captain Braxton. Further, he will be had gone rougue (you know how it is with temporal correct grammar...) after he is degraded and sent back to the 20th century on a three decade banishment.

After that, I was waiting minutely for him to start to play golf...

Well, what do you think? Is Braxton on a character exchange? Was someone doing illegal plot device trading? Or is Jasper simply the same Strar Trek nut as everyone else?

Re: Cross-genre deja-vu
Posted by: Puck (---.sfldmidn.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: December 28, 2005 09:15PM

Where chronoguard is concerned, it could be difficult to figure out which came first!

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: Unbound Element (---.dsl.sfldmi.ameritech.net)
Date: February 11, 2006 09:58PM

Wasn't that basically the plot for the first season of the ill-fated "Enterprise" series?
Plain, unabashed time-traveling, I mean. Which generally indicates that star trek writers are out of ideas.

---
Um? Game?

Posted by: vampire (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 10, 2006 02:16AM

How depressing. What happened to the glory days of Captain Kirk?!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You wants it? How Gollum-esque!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 04, 2006 08:23PM

Personally, I think that mayhap they should just let Jasper write any new Star Trek stuff... even if it is on a time travelling theme, he can at least give it a new and original lease of life..and it will be funny, too..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.