New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Missing Chapters...
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: September 19, 2002 12:47AM

<HTML>I am so sad, lonely and boring... (are these facts in any way linked??)

I've been trying to work out if the titles of the missing chapter 13s actually mean anything. There is a church at a place called Capel-y-ffin ('church of the boundary' is one translation) - it actually looks really pretty, if a little small (it's really, really cute!); but any connection to Mount Pleasant has me stumped. There is a church in Pontypool (25 miles or so away) called Mount Pleasant - but it seems unlikely that Mr Fforde is just naming random churches. What's the welsh for Mount Pleasant? Online dictionaries are useless. I can do French/English really easily - but try to translate between two indiginous languages and watch the struggle. Nuts...

Presumably there's a family/personal connection somewhere. Bearing in mind Capel-y-ffin is definitely in Wales, and Mr Fforde lives in Wales... It's also just down the road form Hay-on-Wye; whcih is more or less literature central.

But this still doesn't explain Mount Pleasant. And I've spent over two hours working on this, trying out various references and generally not acheiving much. Anybody else have a clue?

[www.churchinwales.org.uk] for a picture and description of Capel-y-ffin

Oh god! I'm now reading every single interview on this site to see if it gets mentioned...</HTML>

Re: Missing Chapters...
Date: September 19, 2002 01:48AM

<HTML>Okay, have now spent another hour and a half, reading everything no the website for a clue. Apart from finding out that Mr Fforde lives near to Capel-y-ffin; I still have no idea why he chose it as a title for a chapter beyond 'It has a nice picture to put inot copies of the book'.

Please keep this quiet from my psychiatrist...

I did find out lots of things I didn't know though, so maybe it was worth it.</HTML>

Re: Missing Chapters...&amp; evil plans
Posted by: all_american_cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2002 07:27AM

<HTML>I wish I knew the areas a bit better. I'm pretty lost unless it was mentioned in any of the Jane Austen stories. (I'm such a dork I actually go look them up on maps!) I think that's one area where you Brits have a definite advantage over us here in the States. Hey, at least I know where Wales is!

I also am very curious about the missing chapters. I'm sure Jasper (funny how many of us feel so comfortable as to call him by his first name!) will wrap it all up in the final book. It seems like he has it all worked out in his head, if not on paper yet.

I just hope it doesn't take him as long as it's taking Jo Rowling to finish the Harry Potter series. I think we need to limit his contact with Lola Vavoom. Maybe you should go kidnap her, Ben...you're fairly close aren't you? We could ransom her for TN 3,4&5! And maybe even make him write a 6th! We could hide her in my basement here in Virginia...Jasper would never think to look here! MUAHAHAHAHAH (me thinks this is how evil plans are hatched!)</HTML>

holidays
Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: September 19, 2002 08:18AM

<HTML>Ben, it's obvious you're still on holidays ;) if you were around online at 'normal people's' times I'd be around too (not today though) and you wouldn't be bored...
I have no time to do those things either *big sigh*</HTML>

chapters
Posted by: Wednesday Born (198.179.227.---)
Date: September 19, 2002 10:57AM

<HTML>as it has been said in previous threads not even proof copies have the chapter 13.
i think they will all be found in the Well of Lost Plots (and chapters)</HTML>

Re: chapters
Date: September 20, 2002 12:27AM

<HTML>Okay, so chapter 13 NEVER appears, but that doesn't mean the titlses don't mean anything. I'm actually trying to work out if I can get to Wales to check these places just in case.

I refuse to kidnap Ms Next, purely becaue I suspect I might fall in love with her; even though she's too old for me. Plus, despite my satanic hair, I'm not terribly evil.

Bea --> Sorry, not actually bored, just obsessive. Hope I don't get too attached to you!!! You might regret it.. Muhahahaha!</HTML>

Date: September 20, 2002 08:18AM

<HTML>lol

well, keep us informed of your obsessiveness's results :D

Will you be around tonight? I could use a chat...</HTML>

Posted by: Incognito (---.wellington-college.berks.sch.uk)
Date: September 20, 2002 05:13PM

<HTML>I think that the missing chapters will turn up in the well of lost plots. However, I can't wait till july, so I'm going to e-mail Jasper (yes, it is indeed funny how we call him by his first name) and get an answer direct. Any answers / subtle hints will be posted as soon as I get them.</HTML>

Posted by: charles ronayne (---.liv.ac.uk)
Date: September 30, 2002 10:20AM

<HTML>Hmm I must admit I never actually noticed any hidden chapters because I never really go through contents in my books becuase it might give too much away about the story before I get there. However, having a bit of time before my next lecture, I too took the chance to glance through a search engine. Apparently not only is there a church but also a youth hostel called Capel-y-ffin. More than that it advertises 'black mountain holidays' which would suggest there are a group of mountains nearby. I am just off to email and ask them whether any of those mountains are called pleasant. It may be surprising seeing as everything around there seems to be in welsh, but hey. Having typed that i realise its the worse play on words ever so ill just post now and get down to work before i shame myself further</HTML>

pleasant in welsh
Posted by: ysbediau heulog (---.liv.ac.uk)
Date: September 30, 2002 11:31AM

<HTML>right: status report. Having found a suitable dictionary that helps me to translate between english and welsh first I found that the word for mountain is mynydd. Easy enough. However, then to my horror I found that there are no less than 10 words given which could be the word pleasant alone!!! The welsh obviously have several levels of pleasure. However, having scanned the map of england around capel-y-ffin, and finding that in fact I spent a week near there on a school vacation at trewern (if only I had known!!). Still, although there was a little mountain and even a herb mountain, no pleasant mountains were to be found. Still, back to waiting on the reply to that email I suppose. I hope nobody had the same idea before me though, they might get a little angry with so many people wanting to know about a mount pleasant that doesnt exist. Incidentally, as I type this, I am on a road called Mount Pleasant in the University of Liverpool, although I dont think it has anything to do with capel-y-ffin.
Keep the Peace
Charles</HTML>

Date: September 30, 2002 11:31AM

<HTML>«Hmm I must admit I never actually noticed any hidden chapters because I never really go through contents in my books becuase it might give too much away about the story before I get there. »

Charles, this is my attitude exactly. I only noticed this when everybody started talking about it here.

Usually things like table of contents, comments, thanks and so on I only read at the very end. It's much more fun to be surprised :D</HTML>

Date: September 30, 2002 06:21PM

<HTML>I only found out about it through people here as well, it just seems that some of us (* nudges Charles *) are a little more keen to delve deeper.

Im going to get hold of a map of ley lines next. If Swindon matches up as well....</HTML>

Posted by: charles ronayne (---.liv.ac.uk)
Date: October 01, 2002 05:02PM

<HTML>Ben, you gave me a great idea so I took the opportunity to ask radio 2's website of the day whether they could help:From :
"Phil Poulton" <phil@swindonweb.com>

Reply-To :
<phil@swindonweb.com>

To :
<jamescastgomez@hotmail.com>

Subject :
SwindonWeb/Mount Pleasant?

Date :
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 15:29:45 +0100

Dear Charles

Thanks for your email, and for using SwindonWeb.

The only 'Mount Pleasant' we know of is a farm about 10 miles outside
Swindon. Their website is [www.mount-pleasant.co.uk]

I hope this helps.

Kind regards.

Phil Poulton
www.SwindonWeb.com
One Town. One Website.
Now celebrating 5 years as Swindon's number one website.
BBC 'Website of the Day' Winner "...a truly exceptional resource."
Watch out for the 3 yellow Minis running around Swindon promoting our sites
www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemini.htm
Email disclaimer www.swindonweb.com/email
Tel: (01793) 690700

sorry about the advertising if anybody wants to pull me up for it. Anyway, the plot thickens!!</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.