New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Starting new thread...
Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: September 24, 2002 10:59AM

<HTML>... for general conversation :)

erm... what can I say?
I'm busy but less tired... I've arranged for a mini-break in Zurich (ie between work meetings, no point in returning home friday night to leave again monday...) so it'll be nice... - actually that's the weekend of your wedding :)

And Ben needs to start uni soon to cheer up this during the day as well lol</HTML>

Re: Starting new thread...
Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: September 24, 2002 11:15AM

<HTML>Indeed he does. What are you up to at the mo, Ben? And what are you studying/about to study at uni?

Can't believe it's only tuesday. Need to get out for a run. Doing a 1/2 marathon in a week and a half, done hardly any training. I'll be limping up the aisle...

Also need to type up Order of Service, sort out hymns, buy new shirt and tie, take car in for service, play with Eddie, sleep etc.

Too much to do, too little time.</HTML>

Date: September 24, 2002 11:59AM

<HTML>oh so right!

But at least you're not the bride ;) I think brides have tons more to do and think about.... according to what my friends say...

Half marathon, you're completely CRAZY! I couldn't even walk that... well... maybe in 2 days lol

Btw Ben doesn't come online during the day coz it's too expensive (only connecting from home now)</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: September 24, 2002 12:17PM

<HTML>Ah, I see. Gives him something to read in the evenings though!

Half-marathons are ok, it's the full ones you want to watch out for. Applied for London 2003, hopefully get a place...

You're right about the brides. Kate's list is a *lot* longer than mine...</HTML>

Posted by: charles ronayne (---.liv.ac.uk)
Date: September 24, 2002 03:25PM

<HTML>is there nobody else in the whole world who started at uni as early as me? i.e. 17th September? :-( Sorry just had to get that off my chest.</HTML>

Date: September 24, 2002 03:46PM

<HTML>hey charles
Actually I don't think so (apart from your colleagues, or are you the only one at your uni? ;)), all my friends who are still at uni still haven't started...

(oh, from your ip address you're at liverpool uni *cries* )</HTML>

Posted by: all_american_cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2002 06:18PM

<HTML>actually, in the States, colleges and universities begin classes by the end of August. Makes for a short summer for high school grads! Typically, high school runs from September thru mid-June but university goes from mid-to-late August thru early May. Just an FYI from America!</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: September 24, 2002 07:13PM

<HTML>Hey - I only get to start late 'cause I'm doing a PhD! Besides, I'll get next to nought holiday compared to undergrads, so don't feel too hard done by! And yes, I do keep on checking what's been put up here. I post mostly on OME though (AAC get back there and post!), because I get replies more quickly there. Will be posting here more regularly ASAP.

Half marathon - OUCH! Did you see Chris Moyles' nipples?

Keep us posted on the hymns though, and hope the wedding all goes well.

*hug* for Bea. Try not to think about it, I still pause for thought every time Liverpool gets mentioned too, so I understand.</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: September 25, 2002 09:10PM

<HTML>well, hymns are sorted - Make Me A Channel of Your Peace, and Lord of All Hopefulness. Both fairly funky, as such things go...</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: September 25, 2002 09:37PM

<HTML>Cool choices. Hope it all goes well. What does the Edster think?

Mycroft querstion: With Mycroftian geometry is it possible to make a bottle that, when smashed, forms spherical chunks rather than sharp-edged shards? Could be useful that...</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: September 25, 2002 10:28PM

<HTML>he likes grooving to tunes. I think I may have mentioned his musical tastes (if you can call it that) in another thread...

Useful bottle to have when being chased by a cabal of nuns (see yet another thread), break bottle, instant marbles to hinder chasing party.....

ooh, where did I put my notebook?</HTML>

Re: Mycroftian glass
Posted by: all_american_cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2002 11:31PM

<HTML>Ben,

I think the French (Revisionists of course) have a type of glass called Duralex. Much like safety glass found in windshields (windscreens for you Brits) that is very tough but when it does break, it breaks into a bazillion little cubes. Not spherical, but a lot easier to clean up and not so hazardous to the inebriated glass dropper.
It's relatively easy to find here in the States. It's a wee bit more expensive than regular glass. The funny thing though, is that it can be dropped and slammed tons of times and nothing happens, then one day, you'll just lightly touch it with, say, the tine of a fork, and it explodes into these cute little almost decorative cubes! Kinda cool.

Drink up!

Twila</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.