New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
European fans
Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: October 01, 2002 12:00PM

<HTML>
I have to go to Switzerland (Zurich and nearby) and Belgium (Brussels) next week (well, end of this week+weekend+beginning next week) for work, and I was thinking that it'd be funny if I was there reading my LIAGB, and then suddenly someone would come up to me and ask if I was a Nextaholic :D

So let's make a pact: if we see a member of this loving family, don't be silent, go talk to her/him, ok? There's no worry of looking stupid, you know ;)
And anyway, if the person doesn't know us, it's always a great chance to invite someone new here :)</HTML>

Re: European fans
Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: October 01, 2002 12:13PM

<HTML>Sounds like a great plan. Motion seconded.</HTML>

Posted by: charles ronayne (---.liv.ac.uk)
Date: October 01, 2002 12:16PM

<HTML>Notion thirded. I was wondering has the book been translated does anybody know?
if it has we might not be able to decipher exactly what they are reading, but anyway the dodo should be a good giveaway. Still, it would be nice if we could let all of the nations of the world appreciate this fantastic work, eh? I was wondering whether there was an audio book available as well, I have a couple of blind friends who might like to read it.</HTML>

Date: October 01, 2002 12:27PM

<HTML>There appears to be just an audio book of The Eyre Affair (quick search of amazon.co.uk). I'm sure LIAGB can't be far behind.</HTML>

Date: October 01, 2002 12:29PM

<HTML>excellent i shall search that out. b.t.w it says 12 32 on my clock is there any reason why your message was poseted at 13 27? I believe the ChronoGuard must have been mseeing with the page becuase according to my clock this page should not have happened yet. sorry thats just been bugging me a bit :-)</HTML>

Date: October 01, 2002 12:41PM

<HTML>It's been weighing on my mind too. For some reason all my posts are an hour ahead of me. Takes half the fun out of life when you know what you're going to type all the time.

sniff.

Unless it's something to do with BST. Hmmm. *ponders*</HTML>

Date: October 01, 2002 01:07PM

<HTML>I think it's mainland europe stressing their strength...
(as in, YOU will follow OUR time)

Which leaves us, poor countries with GMT, always allowing for the time difference and making strange calculations in our minds lol

I dunno about the translation, I read everything in english anyway</HTML>

Date: October 01, 2002 01:31PM

<HTML>I suppose I could be on BST and the fforum is still on GMT.

Most odd. I shall ponder it on my lunchtime run.</HTML>

Posted by: Yr Eyre Mater (---.liv.ac.uk)
Date: October 01, 2002 01:34PM

<HTML>yeah it would be mainland Europe though. I blame the French revisionists.</HTML>

Posted by: jon brierley (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: October 01, 2002 01:45PM

<HTML>Bloody foreigners..stealing our time now are they, the devils....can they steal all of mine between 0900 and 1700 Monday to Friday, please? but not next week cos I am in Crete.......

And while I know no-one loves a smartarse, shouldn't that be Yr Fater Eyre?</HTML>

Date: October 01, 2002 04:56PM

<HTML>excuse me, but aren't we (england and portugal) on GMT, and everyone else in Europe on GMT+1 (also called CET) or GMT+2?

Actually BST = GMT, after all Greenwich is still in London ;)</HTML>

Date: October 01, 2002 05:15PM

<HTML>I thought BST was GMT+1?</HTML>

Posted by: polly (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: October 01, 2002 05:56PM

<HTML>If we can't get BST, GMT and CET sorted out, I verymuch doubt any of us has a future (or indeed past or present) in the ChronoGuard.

Polly (who has been a long time lurker on the Fforum)</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: October 01, 2002 08:14PM

<HTML>BST = British Summer Time ie GMT + 1
CET = some buggers been playing with my clock again... ie GMT + 2

I hereby swear to say hello to anybody reading TEA or LIAGB, and may well assume they are reading it for the fourth time and thereby ruin the plot for them.

What a nice person I am...</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.telepac.pt)
Date: October 01, 2002 08:48PM

<HTML>oh, the thing about summer time... well, I *always* think *my* (and english) time is GMT, be it summer or winter.... a bit as if GMT changes too lol
Makes sense and saves trouble, as everybody in the world changes (right?)</HTML>

America has fans, too!
Posted by: all-american-cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2002 12:06AM

<HTML>I have to laugh. One of my converts (my husband's uncle) is now hooked on these books too. So much that he just had to email me about ordering LIAGB from Brittain!

Here are exerpts from 3 emails he sent...he was so excited! LOL

"Last night I went to Jasper's website and was disappointed to see that LIAGB won't be in the states until next Feb. So I went to
amazon.com.uk, and ordered it from them. They had a deal - 5 pounds off if you also got The Eyre Affair, so I got them both. Not really concerned about the price; I just wanted to get it NOW! The order is supposed to be here early October; I'm so excited! I told <wife> it'll be an early Christmas present for me! I'll keep you posted, and off course let you know what I think of it."

"Just got an email from amazon.uk; the order has shipped! Now we'll see how long it takes to cross the pond!"

"It came today! Won't read it right away, though-I just started another book (wasn't expecting it this soon!) Also, I think I may re-read The Eyre Affair first."

Thought you all might like to see how excited we Americans can be.

AAC!</HTML>

Re: America has fans, too!
Posted by: all-american-cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2002 12:08AM

<HTML>uh, obviously I can't spell! sheesh. Apologies to all you BRITISH people!</HTML>

British publishing..
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: October 02, 2002 11:17PM

<HTML>Just a factoid to sacre you all - the British publishing industry publishes about 100,000 titles a year - more than America! Of these about 75,000 titles are 'commercial' ie intended to be read by you and me.

This is actually quite scary... So many books, so little time. Any recommendations to reduce the time hunting?

Bea --> I'm sure there was a movement a while back to impose net time (presumably GMT) on everyone. And why do we need BST in a world who's trading times are now global anyway. I mean, it mader partial sense a while back, but... And then America has several time zones, whcih must be even more confusing. And I keep forgetting (well, I used to) that Portugal is in the same time zone as Britain despite being on the continent.</HTML>

Re: British publishing..
Date: October 03, 2002 08:29AM

<HTML>I know Ben, british bookshops are my dream shops!
lol, forget clothes and cds, give me a british bookshop anytime!!!!!!!

(my sister got the lottery, she works for one - on top of everything she gets all books for free, the ad copies.... grrrrrr)

And BST, and I'm sure you mean the idea of summer time, is to save electricity, I guess.

And now you won't ever forget about portuguese time coz I keep pestering you :D

*hugs*</HTML>

Re: British publishing..
Date: October 03, 2002 01:39PM

<HTML>I always though BST was something that was imposed by DORA during the second war, which meant that people would have to work through less of the dark hours of the day, thus meaning there would be less light and thus meaning that there would be less for the Germans to bomb. Thats why our clock goes back and forwards like a yoyo, still why we'd stil have to use that system now is beyond me. But I think it does actually mean that Greenwich is not actually on GMT for half the year.</HTML>

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.