New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Victor Analogy and Bowden Cable
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.net177.community.co.uk)
Date: June 11, 2007 12:56PM

Hi

I've worked out what Landen Parke-Laine and Kannon and Fodder mean, but I really want to know what Victor Analogy and Bowden Cable are meant to mean. It's really bugging me.

It took me most of a day to work out Sturmley Archer...

Jemima

Re: Victor Analogy and Bowden Cable
Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: June 11, 2007 02:32PM

Hi jemimaspare. Welcome to the Fforum. Help yourself to some pie.

You will find a description of a Bowden cable here. This should tell you more than you need to know about these cables.

My guess is that Mr. Fforde just likes the sound of the name "Analogy". I don't think that he is particularly analogous to anything. Perhaps one of the other escapees from Nextian chat can come up with a good reason for the name.....

Posted by: Planet Cool (---.elp.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2008 01:52AM

About Victor Analogy, I guess that since literature holds such extensive cultural weight in Thursday's world, some people must have names that pay tribute to a preferred aspect of the literary, like an analogy. But I think I read somewhere on the site that Mr. Fforde just likes the way the syllables sound. I don't quite remember where, though.

Posted by: CheshireCat (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: April 18, 2009 06:02PM

My personal name-pun faves are, I think, King and Nosmo. But is there a joke around Chalk and Cheese? For give me if I sound dense, but....

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: April 19, 2009 01:58PM

I had to spend month trying to explain the Martin Molloy quip: "Orson Wells will take the title role for The Island of Doctor Moreau". I think that the explaining was actually funnier than the gag!

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.232.127.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: April 20, 2009 09:13AM

Hi Cheshire Cat. you may want to look here for an explanation of chalk and cheese.

Meanwhile, you will find us far more active in Nextian Chat, where you will be greeted with pies, refreshments and possibly even a pointy stick!

Posted by: CheshireCat (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: April 24, 2009 11:16PM

Thanks Skidmarks....

From reading the other forums and threads, you appear to tell each and every newbie about the "refreshments".....;-p

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: April 25, 2009 04:10PM

Yes, it is a tradition, charter or something (with all due acknowledgements to the Order of the Golden Sprout). The first one to greet a newcomer usually does it and I tend to be online at different times to some of the others and so am first greeter more often than I would expect.

When I joined, I was offered the cyber refreshments and even though lots of those who were around then have now gone, I like to keep the tradition going. As I live in the Wigan area of the U.K. I extended the refreshments to include pies, both sweet and savoury.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.