New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Who should Thursday meet next?
Posted by: JLHedberg (---.dialup.tulsok.swbell.net)
Date: January 20, 2002 09:45AM

<HTML>Any nominations for who Thursday should run into next?
I have a few ideas
Maybe some baddies out of Dante? ;)
Stephen from "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man"? I see him making a clumsy pass at Thursday and her fighting the urge to laugh herslef senseless
Tolstoy? Somebody PUSHING Anna under that train?
Ahh, the mind boggles at the possibilites ::tee hee hee::</HTML>

Re: Who should Thursday meet next?
Posted by: Gill Neal (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 04, 2002 11:00AM

<HTML>I feel that she may have already been to the "Earthchildren" books of Jean Auel, I'm not knocking them, I love them but it does seem very strange that one stoneage person (Ayla) is responsible for: discovering fire made with flint, domesticating the first horse and dog (wolf) and so on, will Thursday go back and show her how to make a wheel?</HTML>

Posted by: sassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: February 11, 2002 02:37PM

<HTML>
Timmy the dog from the Famous Five.

Or Therese Raquin.

Or Gervaise from L'Assommoir

Or Paddington Bear - she could have a very sticky bun with Paddington Bear.</HTML>

Posted by: Lycanthra Pod (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 22, 2002 03:08PM

<HTML>I would like her to meet , Daniel Defoe's Moll Flanders, she's one of my favourites</HTML>

Posted by: Shadow (---.214.107.146.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 01, 2002 04:24AM

<HTML>I'm rather partial to Jerome K. Jerome and company from "Three Men in a Boat (to Say Nothing of the Dog)" but they've already been bumped into by another (rather star-struck) time traveler from a Connie Willis book. Which is not to say it couldn't happen again. Or possibly for the first time.

"The Moonstone" by Wilkie Collins offers some definite possibilities in terms of plot-mucking and just because Alice's Adventures Under Ground is an obvious choice doesn't make it any less fun to contemplate. I can see Thursday becoming frustrated with the Mad Hatter, and the Red Queen would cause no end of problems.

Or how about a visit to Eliot's Waste Lands?

Sigh. I really need to study up on my classics. That way I'll know when they've gone... off.</HTML>

Posted by: talpianna (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 02, 2002 06:42AM

<HTML>Perhaps she could solve the mystery of Edwin Drood? Or which came out, the lady or the tiger?</HTML>

Posted by: jon brierley (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 03, 2002 10:57PM

<HTML>some of us - however much we may love Thursday - can't quite forgive her for luring Jane Eyre back into the dubious clutches of Edward Fairfax Rochester, a man who, let it be recalled, was not above committing bigamy, imprisoning his wife rather than seek medical help for her and generally being a bit of a cad. To expiate this error of judgement, Thursday should a) find out where Heathcliff made his money b) save Nancy from Bill Sikes c) recover the long lost diary written by Mrs Pooter d) interfere outrageously with the plot of Catriona by R L Stevenson to make it less boring e) steal the hanky off Iago and give it back to Desdemona and f) slip a few funny one-liners into Jude the Obscure. Making sure DH Lawrence goes down t'pit instead of writing books wouldn't hurt either.</HTML>

Posted by: talpianna (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 04, 2002 06:58AM

<HTML>And find the Moonstone the morning after it was hidden, thus shortening an immense novel into a novelette; arrange for all Jane Austen heroines who married clergymen to marry pirates and highwaymen instead; abduct Barbara Cartland and marry HER off to Edward Gibbon, to the improvement of both their styles; and force Harlan Ellison to finish the DANGEROUS VISIONS series.</HTML>

Posted by: LIn (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 10, 2002 09:06PM

<HTML>My choice is Dorian Gray!</HTML>

Posted by: Lin (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 10, 2002 09:10PM

<HTML>Bridget Jones!</HTML>

Posted by: kim (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: March 11, 2002 11:24AM

<HTML>Sherlock Holmes?</HTML>

Posted by: Kat (129.215.172.---)
Date: March 11, 2002 02:44PM

<HTML>Yes, maybe she could teach Bridget Jones to use pronouns instead of all this "am so awfully pissed. must smoke more. mustn't eat. am useless. blah blah." in fact exactly where all the pronouns from Bridget Jones Diary have disappeared to could warrant investigation. She could give Bridget a good kick up the backside while she's there!</HTML>

Posted by: Kizmin Reeves (---.ml.com)
Date: March 21, 2002 06:35AM

<HTML>Pynchon's V.?</HTML>

Posted by: Jedidiah (---.jcu.edu.au)
Date: March 21, 2002 09:11PM

<HTML>The possibilities are endless.

Hitch-Hikers' Guide to the Galaxy - anything goes.

What about a poem? Perhaps Thursday could stop the Ancient Mariner shooting the albatross? ;)</HTML>

Posted by: stephanie Wahl (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 04, 2002 05:35AM

<HTML>I'd like to see Thursday take on Lewis Carrol in Alice in Wonderland. That book is so crazy already that Thursday could do whatever she wanted! It would also be a good book to hide in if you were trying to escape from Thursday - although I wouldn't want to be responsible for giving any villains ideas.</HTML>

Posted by: Lindsay (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: April 18, 2002 05:32PM

<HTML>Gross! Sherlock would be horible! Besides Sherlock Holmes isn't even alive anymo re! DUH! I say Paton Manning!</HTML>

Posted by: Lindsay (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: April 18, 2002 05:32PM

<HTML>Gross! Sherlock would be horible! Besides Sherlock Holmes isn't even alive anymo re! DUH! I say Paton Manning!</HTML>

Posted by: Podger Bradshaw (---.york.ac.uk)
Date: May 14, 2002 12:15PM

<HTML>I like shadow's suggestion of "three men in a boat", and maybe Thursday could pop up with a tin opener for the pineapples?
but I also like the idea of her meeting Timmy from the Famous Five, maybe she could give Anne some feminist literature? (I seem to recall a crime series which featured George from the FF)
and hi to Heidi, heidi-hi. (bad sit-com joke)</HTML>

Posted by: Victoria (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 15, 2002 06:32PM

<HTML>I have just discovered The Eyre Affair and am on chapter 8. Being a devoted fan of 19th Century British lit, I could not be in a happier state! I would love to see Thursday romping through a Collins novel, or Eliot, Gaskell, Hardy, Dickens, Trollope! So many choices, I would be please with any!! I just finished a reread of Pride and Prejudice, and could certainly see her popping in at the Netherfield Ball, or roaming the grounds of Pemberley. And just imagine her in Dracula! The possiblities are enourmous! How about a journey through Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress? What fun Wonderland would be, too! Gracious me! I am in heaven!
Cheers!</HTML>

Posted by: Victoria (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 15, 2002 06:32PM

<HTML>I have just discovered The Eyre Affair and am on chapter 8. Being a devoted fan of 19th Century British lit, I could not be in a happier state! I would love to see Thursday romping through a Collins novel, or Eliot, Gaskell, Hardy, Dickens, Trollope! So many choices, I would be pleased with any!! I just finished a reread of Pride and Prejudice, and could certainly see her popping in at the Netherfield Ball, or roaming the grounds of Pemberley. And just imagine her in Dracula! The possiblities are enourmous! How about a journey through Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress? What fun Wonderland would be, too! Gracious me! I am in heaven!
Cheers!</HTML>

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.