New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
My First Next Request
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.wf.uct.ac.za)
Date: November 08, 2007 02:24PM

Seeing as though Thursday Next has made a habit of jumping into, out of and around a fair amount of classic novels, I was hoping if I could ask Mr Fforde for a ffavour. I've got no idea how to get hold of him personally, so I thought this would be as good a place to ask as any.

Background to my request:

Tom Sawyer is an idiot. Honust injun. He's a jackass. He's got all the fundamental knowledge of a smart person, but has about as much ability to apply it to real-life situations as a stale shortcake. Around page 232 of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer is telling Huck that they can't use shovels and picks to dig Jim out (heck, they don't even *have* to dig him out) because that's not how they do it in the book etc etc etc... Now, I realise that Twain's putting this all in for humour, but sweet heavens, as a real person Tom Sawyer is just being stupid, not to mention playing games with Jim's life.

So my request is this:

Can Next, or anybody else able to, please enter The Adeventures of Huckleberry Finn on or around page 232, and punch Tom Sawyer right in the face. And then leave. For me. Please?

Regards to whoever's reading.
K. Hoole

P.S. Othello's the only other character I've ever wanted to deck...

Re: My First Next Request
Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: November 08, 2007 11:36PM

Hi Kevin,
I've just left a message for another new Kevin to join everyone on the Nextian Chat site, which is where 99.9% of the drivel takes place. These individual book sites really only get traffic when the book is newly released.

I think you'll find that the post above will get lots of replies, it's the sort of nonsense that we enjoy discussing, so - by all means - cut and paste it onto Nextian Chat and we'll see you there.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.wf.uct.ac.za)
Date: November 09, 2007 07:33AM

Cool, thanks. Just did it now.

Posted by: GenericInTraining (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2008 04:30PM

I agree completely with the Sawyer point, but I have another request. Winnie The Pooh!!! Wouldn't it be funny if Pooh suddenly became a mass murderer and Thurs had to stop him from killing Christopher Robin?

Posted by: SkidMarks (92.40.95.---)
Date: June 11, 2008 11:22AM

Why stop him?

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: Planet Cool (---.elp.res.rr.com)
Date: August 16, 2008 01:32AM

You guys are mean. Winnie the Pooh is a childhood nostalgia classic.

And from what I've gathered in The Fourth Bear and Well of Lost Plots, Jasper likes him.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.171.239.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: August 18, 2008 11:23AM

But it is Christopher Robin who is for the chop

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.