New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
TN baby here ...
Posted by: Faith (---.smig.net)
Date: October 21, 2002 01:21AM

<HTML>One gorgeously golden Saturday afternoonapproximately two weeks ago, I was innocently strolling round my local public library when suddenly violently ambushed by a hardbound volume of The Eyre Affair. For the next two days (yes, it took me two WHOLE DAYS), I got little sleep while being caught up in a perpetual temporal loop wherein I found myself unexplicably rooted to my favorite easy chair, pawing hungrily through its pages. I was caught, and now I'm stuck here on this site with you lot. Thanks a LOT, Jasper .

PLEASE tell me you're going to be somewhere in Minnesota next year for your U.S. tour to introduce Lost in a Good Book to the American public (or at least to those of us just twisted enough to properly appreciate it ...) !

Faith Snater

P.S. If anyone would care to read my review of said volume (and incidentally hook into a GREAT site), just go to www.bookcrossing.com and look for entries by "gooseinapuddle" (don't ask).</HTML>

Re: TN baby here ...
Posted by: jon brierley (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: October 21, 2002 08:57AM

<HTML>You sound like a case for Nextaholics Anonymous (see posts lower down list) where you will recieve proper support for your condition. Either that or get insulted. You can never tell.</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: October 21, 2002 01:06PM

<HTML>Insulted! Jon! What a thing to say to a newbie! She'll get scared and never show up again!

*shoos Jon and welcomes Faith*
:D</HTML>

Posted by: jon brierley (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: October 21, 2002 01:12PM

<HTML>Sorry Faith...I stand properly chastised....of course we'd never use insults or rudery to a new member. We're nice people. We'd wait at least three weeks.

Note to Bea - has the workload eased off or has terminal boredom set in?</HTML>

Date: October 21, 2002 01:20PM

<HTML>lol
workload eased off, for now... and anyway in my lunch break I *always* come here :D
(I'm also delaying a nasty thing I have to do lol)</HTML>

Date: October 21, 2002 02:33PM

<HTML>'Lo, Jon ... Nextaholics Anonymous? Sounds like just the thing! No need to wait three weeks; I figure I deserve a friendly insult or two for allowing myself to become so thoroughly embroiled in this mess in the first place.

By the way, what does someone like me (an unfortunate with no present access to TN2) DO in the interim wait? LOL!!

Faith</HTML>

Date: October 21, 2002 02:37PM

<HTML>Greetings, Bea! Hmmm... Seems like I've landed in proper company for my present malady. Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere ... y'all will have to kick me out, LOL!!

Faith</HTML>

Date: October 21, 2002 02:58PM

<HTML>Gosh Faith, poor you!
I think all of us except you are wondering how we can survive until we get book number 3 in the summer!
Have you thought about ordering LIAGB from the net? If you chose a reliable company I don't think there are problems with credit card numbers are stuff.</HTML>

Posted by: all-american-cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2002 06:14AM

<HTML>Faith,

WELCOME! Glad to see another sucker, I mean convert...

You might think about buying TN2 from Amazon.UK...they seem to have lots of copies and you can get it in either hardcover or paperback...or both like some of us Nextaholics.

And I do, indeed, feel sorry for you that you haven't had a chance to read TN2! I know what it's like to really want the sequel and not be able to get a hold of it. Sometimes you just have to resort to international money exchange...just make sure whatever credit card you use to order doesn't charge huge fees for international currency exchange! That can be a big bummer.

Oh and ya know what, you can always order paperback copies of BOTH books to give to your other possible cult members, I mean friends and family. They make great gifts!

cheers!

Twila</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: October 22, 2002 12:38PM

<HTML>Um, comrades, we have a problem here. Some of us have (through no fault of their own) NOT READ LIAGB YET. And furthermore, due to being geographically challenged, are at present unable to rectify the omission. (Do you like all those ten-dollar words, btw; I get 'em on discount).

The problem to the rest of us is, how can we chat away merrily, as we do, without giving away serious bits of plot etc. to those lagging behind in the TN saga?

Possibly some sort of early warning system might be devised, alerting innocent fforumers to spoiler posts. I considered user the footnoterphone, but of course that's a spoiler in itself.

Mycroft, it's over to you.</HTML>

Date: October 22, 2002 01:09PM

<HTML>Maybe you can simply do this before:

« ATTENTION SPOILER ALERT! ATTENTION SPOILER ALERT! DON'T READ FURTHER»

:p

Sometimes the easiest solutions are the most effective LOL</HTML>

Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: October 22, 2002 01:26PM

<HTML>that read suspiciously like an outbreak of common sense.....careful, we don't want any sanity creeping in......I'm not vaccinated for it.</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: October 22, 2002 07:01PM

<HTML>Don't worry - if common sense was catching the planet wouldn't be in such a state.

I think the trick is just to mention stuff anyway - as long as nobody writes anything truly stupid like "I loved the way Hades managed to disguise his evil plan to smuggle reverse engineered Welsh rarebits as a deluxe Hagaan Daaaaazz Ultra White Doorstep Challenge ice-cream van, and that you don't realise that that's the twist until the end...".

NB: To maintain reader interest in LIAGB the plot above has deliberately had at least one part of it changed. The rest of it is true.

Note for Americans: Welsh Rarebit is a rare type of hare-like animal, formerly found on mountains but now found chiefly on toast. They are probably related to the Scottich Haggis, a small lemming like animal traditionally shaved and boiled before serving. This explanation is available, along with many others, in "Ben's Bumper Book of Bogus Bunnies" - available from all pisspoor bookshops.</HTML>

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.telepac.pt)
Date: October 22, 2002 09:21PM

<HTML>*rolls on the floor laughing*</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.