New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Big Over Easy :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding the new Jack Spratt investigation 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Bullet, that went "through" Humpty.
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: May 31, 2007 06:15AM

Mary Mary found a bullet 2 gutters away, as predicted by the coroner, after a passage through water/liquid.

We then learned that it missed the durable occupant. (Not deformed, passage holes consistent, text in the story.) It should have gone a long way, else been deformed.

Alarming error in Jack's detecive rambles!

Re: Bullet, that went "through" Humpty.
Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: May 31, 2007 08:06AM

Hi Mephisto, welcome to the Fforum.

I'm not pretending to be a ballistics expert, but wouldn't the distance and deformation depend on the type and shape of the bullet, the charge in the cartridge and the distance from which it was fired? The physical properties of the shell would also be a factor, I suppose? As I say, I have no knowledge in field, but am always willing to learn.

There is a pie tray, a cake trolley and hot and cold drinks over in Nextian Chat, but beware of the squirrels.

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: June 10, 2007 11:14AM

The occupant would have been surrounded with fluid, so its quite possible the bullet went through the egg, passing only through liquid... a bit like those tricks with the girl in a box with swords stuck through it.

Rob

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: June 11, 2007 10:44PM

The book suggested that Humpty died because he hatched.

The fluid was long gone to make the "chick".

I am confident that this is an error that requires the "time patrol" to correct.

The bullet had to be gathered and placed "nearby".

IMHO.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.