New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Big Over Easy :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding the new Jack Spratt investigation 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
book has arrived YEAHHH
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: July 06, 2005 10:03PM

my pre ordered copy of 'the big over easy' arrived this morning, i have got to chapter 6 already and it is great so far.

good to see that chapter 13 is still missing, and the continuity between books is very evident.

well must get back to the reading, will get it finished tonight.

Re: book has arrived YEAHHH
Posted by: pip (---.th.ifl.net)
Date: July 07, 2005 10:37AM

I just got mine! I wasn't expecting it til saturday! I'm so excited even though I haven't started reading it yet! I love the sneaky TN references in the first few pages, and it's especially exciting as I'm from Reading!

Yay!

Posted by: Flo (155.192.34.---)
Date: July 08, 2005 01:04PM

Careful Pip, an admission like that will have you organising the next ffestival . . . !

Dead annoyed; purposefully didn't order as I thought I'd support my local bookstore (plus they let me purchase TN4 early), only to be told that, under no circumstances will they break the embargo and let me buy BOE before Monday! ARGH!! :-(

Forever Flo,

Fforde Ffiesta 2007
www.ffordeffiesta.com

Posted by: Eleal (---.sub.uni-goettingen.de)
Date: July 08, 2005 01:36PM

Well, Amazon.de seems to have no problems with an embargo at all.

I was thoroughly surprised when I received my copy on the 18th of June!

Well, I immediately read the book and it's terrific.

Have fun,
Eleal

Posted by: god (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: July 08, 2005 07:35PM

Does anyone know of a book within the last couple of years regarding a private dick going into nursery rhyme 'world'........... ive read it but i cant for the life of me remember the title or author. if antone can help ill be eternally grateful for not having to go through the boxes in the loft.

Posted by: Paul (---.access.as9105.com)
Date: July 08, 2005 10:50PM

I think the book you're referring to is "The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse" by Robert Rankin. I read that recently and it has some similarity to the Big Over Easy (which I've just finished and thought it was brilliant!)

Posted by: mebbeido (---.range86-132.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 08, 2005 10:53PM

I had my BOE a while ago, it is fantastic isn't it!

------------
'Pompadour,' spat my mother. 'Living in sin with his pompadour.'

Posted by: Nikki (---.mac.edu)
Date: July 09, 2005 01:34AM

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my book, which won't be available until July 25 in the U.S. I've only recently discovered the brilliance of Fforde, and I'm addicted!

Posted by: Auntysassy (---.range81-132.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 10, 2005 12:26PM

Got mine yesterday from Ottakars and have just finished it - very funny, very clever and very entertaining.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.rich.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 12, 2005 12:32AM

Although I'm American, I got hold of an advance copy and finished it this weekend. I very much liked it (and I couldn't figure out WHO had dunit, which is either a testament to Jasper's detective-story-writing skills, or I just got distracted with all the clever nursery references).

Posted by: Ffran (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 14, 2005 12:22AM

Got the call from my local stateside B&N, where I had reserved my copy, and it's now in my hot little hands...guess the embargo for TBOE wasn't quite as stringent as for Harry Potter...I don't have to give it back, do I? ...must go now...must read...

If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would
ever get done.

— Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted by: EmmaG (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 14, 2005 10:01PM

My copy came courtesy of Amazon last Friday - hurray. I was a bit disappointed to start with (just because I missed Thursday) but the book just got better and better. I was late out tonight as I just had to finish it. Well done - yet again.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 11:12PM

Oh, I'm normally so glad to be an American...but the fact that we get the book later than everyone else just isn't cool! Silly publishers. Still, at least I speak the English language and I don't have to wait for the translations.

Posted by: Anonymous User (213.40.67.---)
Date: July 15, 2005 06:10PM

Wheee! It was so good! Finished the book on the train on the way home from Jasper's talk and booksigning at the Ottakars in Norwich (yes, I did the four hour round train trip just to see him) and it was FABOULOUS. I have to say I don't pay much attention to chapter headings (a crime, I know) so I didn't notice chapter 13 was missing. Loved the references to the other books though - so beautifully interwoven. Jasper said last night that Ibb and Obb were present in the book - has anybody found them? I thought maybe they were playing Briggs and Laura Dumpty, but I'm not sure...

Jen/Jeff

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: July 17, 2005 09:53AM

ibb and obb evolved into two characters called lola and randolph, who within the TN series have an on off love hate relationship,

in TBOE two characters appear called lola and randolph, who have been married to each other several times, i presumed that these were the same characters.

i think this is who they are but i am often wrong about such matters.

brilliant book, really enjoyed all the nursery references, some of which i didn't spot until the second reading.

Posted by: pip (---.adsl6.freecom.net)
Date: July 21, 2005 01:18PM

I didn't notice Ibb and Obb.

Flo, I thought I was a lurking committee member for this ffiesta already? I'm just not that helpful.

Posted by: splatali (---.us.infonet.com)
Date: July 21, 2005 03:07PM

Still haven't read it *sigh*

funny how life gets in the way of literature..

Posted by: ali_splat (---.range81-154.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 24, 2005 11:42AM

Have now though, enjoyed it.

Liked the guest appearance by Thursday's car too, and the spoonerisms/mysspelling vyrus... nice to have those references.

So who d'you think the Jellyman is, guys? Mandela? The Dalai Lama? or just an ideal figure who one day might turn up round here?

Posted by: mebbeido (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: July 27, 2005 12:56AM

An honest politician.

------------
'Pompadour,' spat my mother. 'Living in sin with his pompadour.'

Posted by: splat21 (---.range81-154.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 31, 2005 07:43PM

a myth then? Or maybe a mythth in drag?

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.