New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Big Over Easy :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding the new Jack Spratt investigation 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
British edition cover
Posted by: plockplock (---.dsl.klmzmi.ameritech.net)
Date: July 09, 2005 05:32PM

I think that the cover art for the Brit edition is far superior to the US edition. What's my best bet for acquiring one here on the US side of the pond? Or should I wait (can I stand it?) and pick one up at the Ffestival? Will amazon.uk sell me one now or only after the US editon is released?

Re: British edition cover
Posted by: Mollie (---.grn-bsr1.chi-grn.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: July 10, 2005 05:59PM

I wholeheartly agree about the brit cover being much much more attractive than our US one. You can totally buy one on Amazon.co.uk when it comes out over there and usually you will recieve it before the US one comes out. I did this for Something Rotten, which also has a great cover!

Posted by: ali_splat (---.range81-154.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 10, 2005 11:03PM

Interesting, I like the US cover better...

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2005 01:02AM

me too...

Posted by: Zed (67.29.176.---)
Date: July 13, 2005 09:27PM

I think Canada is selling the Brit version too so you may want to try ordering from amazon.ca or chapters.ca - I think Chapters/Indigo has it in stock. Amazon.co.uk has sold out of this.

I have the US version and am voraciously reading it but agree that the UK version has a nicer cover.

Posted by: pip (---.adsl6.freecom.net)
Date: July 21, 2005 12:52PM

Hasn't the US edition been edited slightly differently to help non-brits? I think I read somewhere that helpful things like "'Reading' is pronounced 'Redding'" were included, but I might be wrong.

Posted by: Andrea (---.range86-128.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 21, 2005 01:39PM

I like the American one too. Does anyone know why there are two sizes of the English version?

oh and ltns hi folks
:-)

---
Sylvester says.... *plock*

actually he says peep, cheep, chirrup, squalk,muttermuttergrumblegrumble, oh and now he falls off his pirch whish is followed by a sheepish peek round to see if anyone was looking and a quick scramble back up

Posted by: splatali (---.us.infonet.com)
Date: July 21, 2005 03:06PM

Hi Andrea, as you say, long time, w/b...

sorry nope, no idea.

Posted by: mebbe (---.range86-132.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 21, 2005 03:35PM

One is the same size as the original TN hardbacks, so I guess it is so it fits with them. The other is the size of the new SR cover. Perhaps to go with both collections?
I got both yesterday.

Posted by: ali_splat (---.range81-154.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 24, 2005 11:37AM

I got the new cover a couple of days ago, and it was on its 2nd printing, which is pretty good going at this stage... must see if I can get one of the bigger ones too.

Posted by: Jonathan (---.king.ac.uk)
Date: July 25, 2005 11:05AM

I bought the UK one but I think the US cover looks much much better! I love the pic of Humpty drinking a bottle of alcohol!

Posted by: Amina (146.176.140.---)
Date: July 28, 2005 01:07PM

Lol - isn't there a Reading in America too?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.chrstn01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2005 11:25PM

Yep, in Pennsylvania. It had a major railway company that served Reading and Philadelphia, as well as some other local points. One of those points was Atlantic City, which is why "Reading Railroad" is a tile on the Monopoly board. And it's pronounced the same way as the one in England. :)

Post Edited (07-29-05 00:26)

Posted by: pip (---.adsl6.freecom.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 01:25PM

I dunno then. I'm sure I read something about a non-brits guide in certain editions of the book, and then I got confused as that's what fforumites usually create online.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.