New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Big Over Easy :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding the new Jack Spratt investigation 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
(uk edition) Page381 errors? (spolers)
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk)
Date: July 12, 2005 09:19PM

The joke with the Gadfly is good, if hard to read :), but in the first paragraph of the chapter proper (chapter 44) contains some errors specifically

"to his hother's mouse"
"pipening rods"

I just wondered are these meant to be there? It caused my reading to come to a shuddering halt.

The big over easy is a really good read in any case. I have already recommended it to a friend.

Re: (uk edition) Page381 errors? (spolers)
Posted by: ali_splat (---.range217-43.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 12, 2005 10:26PM

spoonerisms?

Welcome. What are you the demigod of? Have some divine tea (lapsang, preferably).

Date: July 12, 2005 10:48PM

Probably as they occur so close together, but the do seem out of place. It seemed odd and threw me completely as I read it.

I haven't worked out what I’m the Demigod of yet but I’m working on it. Im sure I can be of something. I think I may take small crustaceans first and work my way up, I can easily smite them if I don’t like them after all :lol:

Post Edited (07-12-05 23:57)

Posted by: mebbe (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 13, 2005 10:46AM

They are spoonerisms, and I'm pretty sure they are purposely in there... I can't remember why I thought that now though...

Posted by: LQ (---.adsl.entanet.co.uk)
Date: July 17, 2005 12:46PM

I figured they had to be deliberate, because there's too many of them there, and too obvious to miss out in the editing process. But I can't think why unless it's another reference to the TN books (mispeling vyrus?)

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
Another thing I'm not sure about is Lola's marriages. When interviewed by Jack accompanied by Brown-Horrocks on page 322, she says she's been married 16 times. She later comments (p361) that Randolph will be her 18th husband next time she marries. This could be because she's not counting Humpty first time, and is second, or it could be a mistake...
END SPOILERS END SPOILERS END SPOILERS

Posted by: domullan (---.as1.qkr.cork.eircom.net)
Date: July 19, 2005 09:43PM

i thought at first the mistakes were to do with the problem with the printers in the gadfly but i'm not so sure now. looks like a conspiracy to me...

Posted by: pip (---.adsl6.freecom.net)
Date: July 21, 2005 12:50PM

I didn't notice them until I read it a couple of times. Oops.

Posted by: ali_splat (---.range81-154.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 24, 2005 11:44AM

I think it's probs just a quick homage to the Thursday Next books, myself...

Date: July 25, 2005 04:25PM

I’ve only read the first Thursday book as yet.

I know I know I’m sorry. I will rectify the situation soon

But what makes you think it’s a homage?

Don’t worry about spoiling anything, I know roughly what happens in them some one very close to me reads out all of the shocking bits. :lol:

Posted by: splat21 (---.range217-43.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 25, 2005 07:04PM

ok

THURSDAY NEXT SPOILERS

It's a bit too complicated to explain really - you won't get it completely until you do read the books, especially the last two. Just to say that part of the work of the book world is to destroy various textual pests, one strain of which eats vowels, and another causes rampant mispeling...

/THURSDAY NEXT SPOILERS

nothing wrong with not having read them, it's just simpler to get what we're all on about if you have!

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: RookeeAlding (---.84.61.152.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: July 26, 2005 03:54PM

Just to note in the Us edition it appears on page 366, just for all you from that side.

It's soo big, it can't be a mistake. I was almost expecting someone from the other books to pop up or something like that, you know just to make a apperance. I had to stop and reread it quite a few times.

Posted by: Andrea (---.range86-128.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 01:43PM

I totally missed it on first reading lol and that was after reading about it here.

I did wonder if it was linked to the sighting of Thursday but that was a lot earlier. Perhaps this is where bookworld is leaking as the beanstalk grows.

---
Sylvester says.... *plock*

actually he says peep, cheep, chirrup, squalk,muttermuttergrumblegrumble, oh and now he falls off his pirch whish is followed by a sheepish peek round to see if anyone was looking and a quick scramble back up

Date: August 01, 2005 11:12PM

Uhmmm...forgive me for being stupid...but what sighting of Thursday?

Posted by: mebbe (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 12:02AM

I saw the words "thursday next" somewhere in the book, can't remember where, that's not what you mean is it?

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 02:06AM

I saw them. Excpet i think it actually said next thursday.

spotting Thursday was (uk edition) Page381 errors? (spolers)
Posted by: Andrea (---.range86-128.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 02, 2005 09:29AM

page 161 British edition - very end of chapter 18

"She [Mary] pulled into the main road a little too quickly; a small sports car with the top downand a distinctive paint scheme appeared behind them and drove past at great speed, horn blaring."

---
Sylvester says.... *plock*

actually he says peep, cheep, chirrup, squalk,muttermuttergrumblegrumble, oh and now he falls off his pirch whish is followed by a sheepish peek round to see if anyone was looking and a quick scramble back up

Date: August 02, 2005 01:16PM

Oh yes, I remember both of those now...the "Next Thursday" is written as such, with both capitals (despite "next" not being the start of the sentence), so would probably appear a typo to anyone unaware, and I did notice the sports car at the time. Just didn't remember it.

Posted by: AK (---.justice.vic.gov.au)
Date: August 05, 2005 02:48AM

and then there's the ongoing references to Lola's film career, including her role in The Eyre Affair (you recall Lola was slated to play Thursday Next, much to Thursday's dismay!).... so I guess this book is set a few years after the Thursday Next ones (we are no longer in the 80s) - I wonder where she was going so impatiently...?

Posted by: IHazon303 (---.range86-135.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 06, 2005 11:17AM

Probably just grammacites...

Date: August 06, 2005 06:29PM

This one is set in the present day (2004 give or take a year; it's explicitly mentioned somewhere but can't remember which one), but at the same time this book - being set in the world with Nursery Rhyme characters, and hence not directly Thursday's world - is a adaptation of Thuirsday's world for the book (seeing as the book exists in Thursday's Well). Lola is therefore the result of ibb's training (or obb, can't remember exactly which) and is the fctional representation of the real Lola Vavoom in Thursday's world.

It sort of makes sense. But quite possibly only to me.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.