New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Big Over Easy :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding the new Jack Spratt investigation 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: (uk edition) Page381 errors? (spolers)
Posted by: IHazon303 (---.range86-135.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 07, 2005 09:20AM

Yeah, and Lord Spongg is obb. Or at least the other one to Lola. So it's nice that they get together at last. But then, if this book's been published, surely that means it's not in the well any more? I think there's a certification at the front stating the book's a designated safe book for characters to have a rest or something. I've lent it out so can't check. But it's just the book that Thursday took respite in when she had Friday, and this is the result of their efforts to improve it so it didn't get sent to the text sea. I'm too tired to check details.

I would have liked to see how Mary's garden grew though

Post Edited (08-07-05 10:28)

Posted by: splat21 (---.range81-155.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 07, 2005 07:35PM

IHazon303 wrote:

> I would have liked to see how Mary's garden grew though

>

Sure, me too. Wonder if she runs a domestic cleaning agency from her back garden?

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.chrstn01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 07, 2005 11:49PM

So then, is the appearance of Thursday's car specifically written in, as in a character playing Thursday in the novel, or is it Thursday herself visiting the Bookworld and just passing through when she accidentally gets caught in the action? I would like to think that it's the latter, and Thursday's speeding because her Narrative Proximity Detector just went off.

Posted by: IHazon303 (---.range86-135.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 08, 2005 04:35PM

Maybe she was chasing grammacites?

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: August 09, 2005 08:37AM

Checked up on some other things:

*WOLP, SR AND BIG OVER EASY SPOILERS* ibb and obb later get renamed as Randolph and Lola, who end up together, despite their incompatibility in wolp. Also, Mary has problems with a guy called Arnold, and it glancingly mentions she lives in a houseboat. Hmmm, I'll have to check if all the named characters get the same names, (mrs.singh for example), but a lot of other stuff (the random appearance of prometheus, say) hints that this is the same book. It's also possible that after Zhark's book gets rewritten in SR, there's a spare alien character left about - hence Ashley.
*WHEW, THAT'S ALL*

And I know I'm meant to keep WOLP spoilers off other boards as a courtesy to USA readers, but I don't think they'll be too bothered *snicker*

Oh and there's a reference to the ballistics guy hating Chymes something rotten...

Post Edited (08-09-05 12:07)

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.snloca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 15, 2005 07:12AM

"So then, is the appearance of Thursday's car specifically written in, as in a character playing Thursday in the novel, or is it Thursday herself visiting the Bookworld and just passing through when she accidentally gets caught in the action? I would like to think that it's the latter, and Thursday's speeding because her Narrative Proximity Detector just went off."

Thursday's appearance in The Big Over Easy actually already happened in The Eyre Affair, when she and Boden were moving through the patch of bad time:

"It looked like winter, and from ahead of us a lime-green Austin Allegro estate pulled out from a slip road. I swerved and drove past at great speed, sounding my horn loudly." --US Edition, p. 280

That is some truly brilliant planning. I'm still stymied by those spoonerisms, though.

Akril

Post Edited (08-16-05 08:23)

Posted by: Nicky (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2005 04:03AM

Good catch, Akril.

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: August 17, 2005 09:09PM

So... from Thursday's point of view, do the events of TBOE happen in the future, or in a book?

The 'The Eyre Affair' film seems to suggest it happens in Thursday's real world future, but the presence of the nursary characters, ibb and obb and the general similarities to the book that Thurday stayed in in the Well makes me think otherwise.

Maybe its both...

R

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Posted by: Ffirefly (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 19, 2005 07:12PM

Dang - you people are good. I caught the colorful car passing them reference and noticed the entry paragraph to one of the chapters where the days of the week are the main wordplay, but I really hadn't gone the extra step with ibb and obb, the houseboat, etc.

Posted by: jenny (---.d4.club-internet.fr)
Date: August 23, 2005 06:47PM

haven't you seen "the foon was mull " somewhere?
I, as a frecnh speaking reader am very happy to see people talking about those books (I read the 2 first in french, but could not wait for the translation and bought the three others in english).
My problem is that I don't know your british culture good enough to understand everything, and my english is not that good, and I certainly miss lots of jokes.
I love these books though (Fforde is a genius in my opinion) and I don't know any one to share with me. Thank you for this fforum. I'm not alone anymore.

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 23, 2005 08:29PM

Hey Jenny. Don;t worry about not understanding everything. That's what the reader's guides were written for. You can check them out here

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: August 24, 2005 11:30AM

So... from Thursday's point of view, do the events of TBOE happen in the future, or in a book?

The 'The Eyre Affair' film seems to suggest it happens in Thursday's real world future, but the presence of the nursary characters, ibb and obb and the general similarities to the book that Thurday stayed in in the Well makes me think otherwise.

Maybe its both...

I think I've worked it all out, or I'm bullpooing, one of the two. A lot of spoilers in here, like you really care

In Thursday's future, a Detective, possibly called Jack Spratt does this investigation into a perfectly non-eggy philanthropist.

He writes the memoirs, perhaps hoping to get into Detectives magazine.

It doesn't.

For reasons connected to the flexible time of the universe, the unpublished memoirs had construction begun 20 years earlier in the Well of Lost Plots. Since their original conception, their presence in the Well changed the storyline, due to the presence of Nursery rhyme characters, it's barely averted destruction, and interference of the Bellman.

Many years later, while musing on her memories, Thursday decides to try to publish the book, to find it has warped beyond recognition, and is informed that it's release would reveal too much about the working of the well.

She conspires with her father to get the book Imagino-transferred to an alternative history, where the Well is less accessible.
Her father recommends "that fellow you sent your memoirs to" at which a confused Thursday points out she's not done anything like this before and her father denies the fact that he's done this, muttering something about "having to put it fifth".

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Re: spotting Thursday was (uk edition) Page381 errors? (spolers)
Posted by: Lauren (---.range81-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 13, 2005 04:09PM

If you read The Eyre Affair when Thursday and Bowden are travelling through the patch of bad time, Thursday spots a green Austin Allegro pulling out in front of her and blasts her horn at it. Jasper is always doin things like that...

Posted by: tieff (---.246.162.72.tisdip.tiscali.de)
Date: October 10, 2005 10:31AM

Just been doing some rereading of the other books and the deleted scenes.
Friedland Chymes is in a deleted chapter (10 Event Horizon) from WOLP and Ashley is the official sidekick of Zhark's nemesis (see chapter heading notes in Something Rotten).

Posted by: ensoul (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 13, 2005 09:59PM

I would have sworn that, instead of grammasites, the paragraph without e's was another Poe reference... after all, the Gadfly, etc. were from "The Literary Life of Thingum Bob, Esq." I sort of assumed that the e-less bit had something to do with "X-ing a Paragrab," silly me.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.