New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Big Over Easy :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding the new Jack Spratt investigation 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Norwegian Blue
Posted by: Yiftach (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: July 29, 2005 05:06AM

I'd like to register a complaint: I'm going to be laughing about that gag for probably the rest of my life.

I just saw Jasper here in San Diego at a signing the other day, and told him how much I love the "little" jokes throughout the books. Little did I know that the best one (for a long time Python fan such as myself) was still to come, at the end of Jack & Mary's visit to Castle Spongg. Didn't see it coming AT ALL, and just busted up laughing out loud, alone in the house.

Simply brilliant, and only confirms Jasper's place at the top of the list of the most entertaining writers out there.

Thank you, Mr. Fforde.

Re: Norwegian Blue
Posted by: mebbe (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 12:13AM

That was brilliant! I loved that. Jasper has mentioned Python a couple of times at signings I have been to.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2005 07:03AM

~~...how much I love the "little" jokes throughout the books.~~

There's no certainty in what I'm about to say; as I have absolutely no proof of it, but I'd be willing to wager that Mr. Fforde is a fan of the old BBC radio shows Round The Horne and Beyond Our Ken. There are several things that lead me to think this, one being the name of the Spongg foot care empire. I'm a faithful listener to the repeat broadcasts of both shows, which are entirely the same show with only a different name, a few years, and one less writer to differentiate the one from the other, and I swear the name Sir Talbot Spongg and something to do with foot care products were both mentioned in the episode The Portrait of Florien Thrust (or at least in the same series).

Post Edited (08-05-05 08:03)

Posted by: IHazon303 (---.range86-135.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 07, 2005 09:32AM

It's not a brilliant joke, it's a classy reference to a brilliant joke.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: August 08, 2005 02:34AM

~~It's not a brilliant joke, it's a classy reference to a brilliant joke.~~

Oh dear, let's all split hairs shall we? ::grin::

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.