New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Big Over Easy :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding the new Jack Spratt investigation 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Rejected!!!
Posted by: Rodney (194.83.8.---)
Date: August 02, 2005 02:57PM

I have just finished reading the excellant 'Big over easy' (Jasper Ffordes best so far in my opinion). I then came on this site and noticed that this novel was originally rejected. WHAT!!! Whoever rejected this book must have been mad, it is fantastic.

Re: Rejected!!!
Posted by: jennifer smith (12.37.169.---)
Date: August 02, 2005 05:14PM

I know>Istared the book last night>loved it>want more in the series
Peace: jennifer usa

Posted by: Laura Metzler (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: August 03, 2005 10:27PM

Yep I just started last night too :D Got it at the book tour :D And I'm still shocked it was rejected. It's one of my favorites and i'm not even 1/2 way through yet lol

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2005 03:25AM

~~I have just finished reading the excellant 'Big over easy' (Jasper Ffordes best so far in my opinion). ~~

I'm rather new to this Fforum thingie, placie, whatever (ie), but as most people of the human race, I, too, have an opinion. I couldn't necessarily agree that this book was the best, but that's not based on its readability. In fact, regarding cleverness and overall enjoyment, it probably is the best. I do, however, think that one's suspension of disbelief in the setting and story relies heavily on the Thursday Next series (note the word think for those who might disagree and interpret this as more than just an opinion piece).

When I recommend the Fforde novels to someone, which I frequently do (you'd think I owned stock in him), I always suggest that they begin at the beginning. I personally started at book three but almost immediately realised how dearly I wished I'd started at book one. Not that it was hard to follow, mind you; filling in the gaps wasn't too taxing on the imagination. However, every time I came to an area in the story that alluded to the previous books, I felt like I was watching footy on a television with terrible reception: I knew something interesting had happened in the eighty-seventh minute, but I had to rely on commentary and imagination to know what it was.

~~I then came on this site and noticed that this novel was originally rejected. WHAT!!! Whoever rejected this book must have been mad, it is fantastic.~~

I've not yet read that, as I've not been to all the links. Unfortunately, though, there are many good books that are rejected repeatedly before they are accepted. To illustrate, "Catch 22" was rejected 21 times before its publication, and it is now concidered one of the greatest contemporary novels yet written.

Post Edited (08-05-05 04:26)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.