New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Big Over Easy :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding the new Jack Spratt investigation 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Entertainment Weekly Review (of sorts)
Posted by: PrincessP (---.dhcp.gldl.ca.charter.com)
Date: August 04, 2005 05:57AM

An endorsement of Fforde. Sorry I can't post the photo, it was quite handsome. The byline said, "Fforde does the Humpty dance".
-Diana (PrincessP)

Entertainment Weekly #831 - July 29, 2005 - page 73 +Books section

AN AUTHOR YOU CAN'T REFUSE
The Tome Raider

Jasper Fforde's best-selling, genre-busting novels sound both daft and pretentious: A winsome detective named Thursday Next (her son is Friday) jumps in and out of great literature trying to rescue kidnapped characters and mend broken narratives, while Uriah Heep, Miss Havisham, and Hamlet stray from their pages into a warped, satirical facsimile of our world. "Imagine how hard it was for me to get published," says Fforde, 43, who completed five novels and collected 76 rejection letters before landing a publisher for the first Next title, The Eyre Affair, which appeared in 2001. "When you write a begging letter you have to include a precis of your book and most publishers just said, 'Oh my God, what is this complete nonsense?' and never read the novels."
Someone finally did, and the fantastical, effervescent Eyre Affair was greeted with rapturous reviews and followed by three fizzy, allusive, and pun-heavy sequels. Soon, the Welsh author developed a cult of so-called Nextaholics who are holding the first-ever Fforde Ffestival, a two-day convention, this September in the English town of Swindon.
And this month, Fforde is launching his new nursery crime series by resurrecting the first novel he ever wrote, The Big Over Easy (Viking, $24.95), a droll, densely plotted mystery in which detectives Jack Spratt and Mary Mary investigate-don't crack up-the suspicious death of Humpty Dumpty. "I'm hopeful that people who thought the Thursday Next books were inaccessible because of their use of the classics will be okay with Humpty Dumpty," says Fforde. Next up: The Fourth Bear, a retelling of the Goldilocks story. As Fforde explains: "There's a lot going on there we don't know about." --Jennifer Reese
-----

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. --- Edgar Allan Poe

Re: Entertainment Weekly Review (of sorts)
Posted by: Flo (155.192.33.---)
Date: August 18, 2005 09:15AM

Any chance that anyone coming to the ffiesta could bring a copy of this article for my scrapbook? Alternatively, contact me off-line and I'll disclose Swindon (not Reading) home address.

Forever Flo,

Fforde Ffiesta 2007
www.ffordeffiesta.com

Re: Entertainment Weekly Review (of sorts)
Posted by: Haylo (---.range86-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 18, 2005 12:43PM

I was reading The Bookseller at work last friday whcih mentioned that BOE was Amazon's lead book last week. Never managed to check, did anyone see it?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.