New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Big Over Easy :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding the new Jack Spratt investigation 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
What I Would Have Said To Jasper If My Brain Had Worked
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cust.broadbandip.net)
Date: August 04, 2005 03:45PM

So, I met Mr. Fforde last night in the Big Easy at a book signing at Beaucoup Books (adorable little bookshop on Magazine Street). It was a tight and hot SRO event, but well worth it as Mr. Fforde was highly entertaining. When I finally got up to the table where Mr. Fforde was sigining books, I wanted to tell him a quick story about the English language and some certain ironies but realized as I was sort of stumbilng though the beginning of it that the story would be neither quick nor interesting to Mr. Fforde, and yet, there I was launching into it.
If I could have told the whole story I would have. Since I didn't have time, I sort of stumbled through this strange exclamation that my boss thinks I don't know how to speak English well and that I'm too Americanized. Didn't quite go over like I expected.

But, if given the chance again, I'd skip the "my boss is a moron" story and I'd tell him these few items:

1. As requested, I do recommend the Eyre Affair to EVERYONE I KNOW WHO READS.

2. His books are riotously funny.

3. As he requested that we provide him with any made-up words we use, a familial made up word he can use: "Cloptenshire" - A dog, usually of questionable bloodlines, whose tail curls and touches his back. Just such a mutt may be titled, a "Pure-Bred Cloptenshire" which will impress friends at cocktail parties if delivered with a straight face and an authoritative air.

4. Thanks for the laughs.

So there. That's what I would have said if my brain had worked.

Last night was fun, and I can't WAIT to get started on the Big Over Easy.

P.S. Though I do think I have a fairly good grasp of English, I cannot vouch for my spelling.

Post Edited (08-04-05 20:07)

Re: What I Would Have Said To Jasper If My Brain Had Worked
Posted by: MLE (---.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 04, 2005 06:16PM

Was at that book signing as well... told him he was my favorite author, then added "Living, that is." I think I might have frightened him. Thought he was wonderful though, very funny and entertaining.

Posted by: quankanne (---.fv.dl.cox.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 01:32AM

y'all are too funny .... I imagine my mouth would be working like a fish's and my brain gone to mush.

is there anyway to find out where his stops are in Texas/American Southwest? I'm pretty much new to all this.

tks,
quank

Posted by: MilesHawke (217.169.42.---)
Date: November 08, 2005 08:21AM

Try the appearances page on fforde grand central for where Mr Fforde will be next.

[www.jasperfforde.com]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And however often the sun may rise, a new thing dawns upon our eyes.

Post Edited (11-08-05 09:21)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

World is crazier and more of it than we think

Posted by: robert (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 09:20PM

I just can't understand why he hasn't been to Wagga Wagga yet.

Posted by: PrincessP (---.dhcp.gldl.ca.charter.com)
Date: August 15, 2006 04:49PM

I went to a signing last week and am beginning to see a pattern emerge here. My brain also failed to work. Do you think the person aiding in the signing has some kind of brain wave alteration machine plugged in, and is aiming it at us in the signing line? It would be a devious way to get us through the line quietly and efficiently.
-----------

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. --- Edgar Allan Poe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.