New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Big Over Easy :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding the new Jack Spratt investigation 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Question
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.range86-130.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 09, 2005 05:54PM

I've just brought this book, quite randomly, after seeing some of Jasper Ffordes' books last week in my local bookshop - but this one caught me attention. Is this a stand alone book - and if so does it not matter that you haven't read any of the Thursday Next books first. I ask this because I want to start on this book, because it looks great for summer holiday reading

Thanks

Re: Question
Posted by: IHazon303 (---.range86-135.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 09, 2005 06:19PM

Hey hey Bookworm, welcome to the fold. Someone will be along shortly to take your measurements for a smoking jacket. They may even have some cake.

This is a standalone book in as much as it isn't part of the Thursday Next series, Jasper's previous 4 books. You can read it and it'll be fine on its own, but you'll realise the whole premise of the book after reading the other four. You'll get to appreciate it twice!

Let us know what you think

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: August 11, 2005 05:02AM

~~Is this a stand alone book - and if so does it not matter that you haven't read any of the Thursday Next books first.~~

WARNING: A PERSONAL OPINION FOLLOWS THIS CAUTIONARY STATEMENT! IF YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORD "OPINION" TO MEAN "SOMETHING SOMEONE STATES AS FACTUAL AND TRUE" RATHER THAN "SOMETHING SOMEONE SAYS AS A MEANS OF EXPRESSING EMOTION OR VIEWPOINT" THAN I SUGGEST YOU NOT READ THE REST OF THIS POST.

I'd just like to make one personal observation: I've noticed that when other authors write a series, it's normally independent of any other series or stories they may have written; however, this particular series is more a stem off of the TN tree rather than a tree of its own. The premise as well as many of the internal references are better understood when read in sequence with the TN series.

Posted by: Holly (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 11, 2005 08:38PM

there's another problem about reading Big Over Easy first which is, its not JFf's strongest book. I'd suggest leaving this one until you'd read him at his best.

IMHO anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cust.broadbandip.net)
Date: August 11, 2005 10:02PM

oh, poo! I think y'all are too strict. I don't see why one couldn't read the Big Over Easy without reading the TN series. I say go for it. Enjoy yourself!

Date: August 11, 2005 11:14PM

Definitely

Date: August 12, 2005 02:11AM

~~oh, poo! I think y'all are too strict. I don't see why one couldn't read the Big Over Easy without reading the TN series...~~

Now, Yummy, I never said one couldn't read BOE without having read the TN series; I simply said that I thought the premise and internal references would be better understood and thus better enjoyed. If someone wants to read it first, by all means, have a blast. It is certainly a good enough book to hold its own. ::grin::

Posted by: trueblue (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 12, 2005 02:55AM

You could read it before and after, if you choose.
Welcome Bookworm!

Post Edited (08-12-05 03:55)

Date: August 13, 2005 12:34AM

I dunno Azy, I think it'd be quite fun to read BOE first then the others after, that way BOE becomes better and better the more you know about it all...

Date: August 15, 2005 03:31AM

~~I dunno Azy, I think it'd be quite fun to read BOE first then the others after, that way BOE becomes better and better the more you know about it all...~~

Very possibly so, IHazon303. My opinion may well be swayed by a chronic desire for symmetry and sequentiality. ::grin::

Posted by: literaryloser (---.sktn.hsdb.sasknet.sk.ca)
Date: August 23, 2006 05:29AM

I think that you will get some of the references and jokes, and the slight irony of what his wife pulls on the guild application if you read Well of Lost Plots, the thing about that is...in order to get the Well of Lost Plots you've got to read the whole Thursday Next series, and personally I think that Something Rotten is the best book by Japser (out of Thursday Next I guess) but I loved The Big Over Easy and think if its your first taste of Jasper...you'll still love it to death.

SpecOps-27 Wordage is our business Grammar is our game.

Posted by: Lymond (---.abdn.ac.uk)
Date: January 23, 2007 03:25PM

***** SLIGHT SPOILER ********************

Wouldn't Lola Vavoom be classed as a "runner"? Jurisfiction had to be involved there somehow

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.